Copper fouling

Kinda disappointed in butches. After a thorough cleaning with butches I ran some shooters choice through and it was deep blue. Had to run 4-5 more patches with shooters and still have work to do. Old garand barrel from 1950.

Story about Butches. Gent I shoot with is a firm believer in it. Typical of him to shot 6 or so rounds and then run several patches down bore with Butches, shoot another 6 rounds, patches with Butches. One day, after watching him do the Butches patch thing for about a year or so at range we are members, I casually asked him if he ever ran a brush down his bore. "No", he answered, "with Butches you don't need to use a brush." Soooooo, a couple of months later, he will allow one of our other members to take one of his rifles home that wasn't shooting to his satisfaction to play with, try some of his reloads and etc.

Well, next weekend the rifle did shoot better. Asked the guy who took the rifle home, what he'd done. His answer, "cleaned the bore....you wouldn't believe the crud I got out of it."

Personally, I rely on MP7 Pro and Shooters Choice Aqua Clean to deal with copper. They may not be the fastest/most effective copper remover cleaners you can buy, but they work very well for me.

No disrespect intended towards him or you, but there are many conflicting opinion on barrel break in. Likewise there are many opinions on the best bore cleaners. It would appear from the article that he doesn't support removing all copper fouling. Perhaps that's best I don't know... But if true what makes one cleaner better then the other? For the most part you want a cleaner that requires the least amount of effort and time. I haven't found butches to be the best in either of those two cases. Regrettable. I plan to try kg12 next.

Back