Cop mistakes good Samaritan for bad guy

Two good men are dead because of one lunatic. I've seen some of the information not released to the public and will say this, in general. Don't assume and jump to conclusions before the facts are out, one way or the other.

When I work on a shooting reconstruction, I read the papers/media and it is typical for there to be inaccuracies in what is publicly reported.

I would think if something is wrong Hurley family get lawyer and my have waiting on results. I would hope no one forward your post if they have one.

I would think if something is wrong Hurley family get lawyer and my have waiting on results. I would hope no one forward your post if they have one.

I hope they get a good lawyer to review the case, regardless of charges or outcome.

I don't understand what you mean by the last sentence.

ghbucky said:
For those of that carry, it is a good idea to spend some time thinking about the aftermath of a shooting and how to ensure that you are not perceived as a threat.

I think Hurley could have reduced his chances of being mistaken for a bad guy if he had hung a concealed weapons license badge around is neck.

I think Hurley could have reduced his chances of being mistaken for a bad guy if he had hung a concealed weapons license badge around is neck.
Only to be charged with impersonating a police officer in that a "reasonable person" would assume the badge was a law enforcement badge.

First of all, there's no such thing as a "concealed weapons license badge" from a legal standpoint. States issue either permits or licenses, not badges.

Second, there's no need to pretend to have a badge to keep from getting shot by responding LE.

Not from a legal standpoint...
Weird isn't it.

It's almost as if I included the prepositional clause: 'from a legal standpoint' in my post for a reason as opposed to just inserting it randomly. :D

JohnKSa said:
Weird isn't it.

It's almost as if I included the prepositional clause: 'from a legal standpoint' in my post for a reason as opposed to just inserting it randomly.
I wondered about that ...
bolt.gif

Update

From the Denver Post, an update about the officer that shot a good Samaritan.

"An Arvada police officer will not face criminal charges for mistakenly shooting and killing a “good Samaritan” who stopped an active shooter in Olde Town Arvada this summer, prosecutors announced Monday.

First Judicial District Attorney Alexis King at a news conference announced her decision to not charge the officer nearly five months after the officer shot and killed 40-year-old Johnny Hurley.

Hurley rushed out of the Arvada Army Navy Surplus store on the afternoon of June 21 and confronted the active shooter, who minutes earlier had killed a police officer and fired multiple rounds in the Denver suburb’s busy restaurant and shopping district."

Back