Convince me to not buy a M1 Garand from CMP

Beretta16

Well I made out pretty well this Christmas and I've been considering picking up a service grade M1 Garand from the CMP program. I've heard good things, and really want to own one of these awesome pieces of history. I figure that the m1a I just bought needs some family in the safe, and with the money I got from Christmas, I could cover the cost completely. I am a student, but because of scholarships I'm paying less than $1500 a semester for food, housing and school altogether.

Is there any reason I shouldn't be filling out the paperwork right now? :D

And just in case you guys do a poor job convincing me.. Should I get the Springfield Armory verison or the H&R version? I want one that is in the best possible condition, and since H&R only produced Garands in the 50's (I think:confused:) would I have a better shot at getting a keeper?

DO IT !! I cant forsee any reason if you had to you could not recover your funds plus some from a CMP garand. Great investment. I am not sure if you have a better chance with H&R of a better condition gun or not. Personally I would choose SA because of the chance of getting a WWII rifle. I have one CMP garand and have seriously considered another. I drove to Camp Perry and picked mine out in person.

Someday soon,

Those garands will be gone. You will regret not getting one. It will be great to pass on history to your sons and grandsons.

I got my garand from CMP when it was DCM, 81 or 82. I remember getting it on a Thursday and Friday Night I was suppose to go to Hawaii for a rifle match. I said to heck with it, took my M14 out of the case and replaced it with the M1. The first shot I fired with it was my sighters in the 200 yards Slow fire offhand. Checking my old score books, I didnt do to bad with it either.

I think you'll regret not taking the chance at the M1.

JMHO

Is there any reason I shouldn't be filling out the paperwork right now?

I think they are the best deal going right now.

Like others here, I bought one from the DCM program, the forerunner of the CMP, during the big push to save them from destruction by the Clinton administration. The anti gunners are aware of the CMP selling Govt Surplus semi automatic high powered rifles to the public and it goes without saying they don't like it and history repeats itself over and over. The M14's didn't make it last time and the M1s may not this time.

So yes, please buy one and save an historic artifact from the "change" we are about to receive.

So don't buy it. Don't do it! Just because you'll be kicking yourself in the butt forever into the future every time you see someone else that bought his (or her) M1. As the years go on, you'll kick your self even harder when Obie bans all other bad bad bad black rifles and your buddy has an M1 that isn't banned.
In a few years, you'll even be begging or even PAYING your shooting buddies to kick you in the butt for not buying one when you could've and should've.

Buy the best one you can afford, Keep it clean, keep it lubricated, (remember white lubriplate) feed it ammo it likes (no heavy commercial ammo) and enoy it for years and pass it on you your son or daughter.

Roger Notgonnabekickinmybutt. (hat tip to wildalaska :))

DCM M1 1991 2x Aimpoint (for my aging eyes, but no mod to the rifle)
firearms12-07004.jpg

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spend a little extra and get a '' CORRECT '' Garand from CMP.
I bought a CORRECT H&R from them, I love it. I live about 3 hours away from Camp Perry, so I was able to pick one out myself~~~~~~~~~~~

The Garand will always go up in value, and they are a blast to shoot.

All I can say is GO BABY GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it today! You can make more money, but they aren't making any more Garands. There is just something awe inspiring about holding your own piece of history, trust me.

Well I made out pretty well this Christmas and I've been considering picking up a service grade M1 Garand from the CMP program. I've heard good things, and really want to own one of these awesome pieces of history. I figure that the m1a I just bought needs some family in the safe, and with the money I got from Christmas, I could cover the cost completely. I am a student, but because of scholarships I'm paying less than $1500 a semester for food, housing and school altogether.

Is there any reason I shouldn't be filling out the paperwork right now?

Have you lost yer flippin' mind? :p
Why would anyone try to convince you not to do a good thing? Ya lucky bastid!
I wish I had the funds to do just what your trying not to do.

Unless you request a later serial # range, I'd go with the HRA Service Grade. Seems to me like you have a better chance of getting a real good shooter than if you just settle for whatever Springfield they send you. But historic WWII Springfields have their own appeal.

Can you request a later serial number, and will they listen? I may have to try that because I want a Springfield because of, well the name. It would be nice to have a Springfield Garand and m1a, and Springfield has got the biggest historical significance.

One caution: These things are addictive. Today it's an M1. Soon you will be eyeballing a carbine. Then a 1903. Then.......multiples in different manufacturers.

But what the heck. It's only money. Do it. Trust me, in life, it's the things you DIDN"T DO that you will look back on and regret, not the things you DID DO. Well, sort of. Usually. Most of the time.

Can you request a later serial number, and will they listen?

The DCM listened and sent me a matching but with sight upgrade '44 Winchester.

I would say it depends on who fills your order that day. I know of a few people that got what they asked for from the CMP.

Here goes: The M1 is an overrated, unreliable, inaccurate, has-been rifle that never saw any significant military use. Anyone who buys one of these bloated, heavy, poor-quality things ought to have their head examined. Furthermore, the losers at CMP don't even know how to put them together properly...... *cough-cough*.......*chortle, guffaw*......

Sorry, I just couldn't keep that going.

Buy one and be happy. :D

Should you or should you not buy a cheep M1 Grand?????:confused:
Should you continue eating?
Should you continue breathing?
Do you want your heart to continue beating?
If you answered any of the above questions with a NO, then I would suggest that you not purchase an M1 Grand from CMP.
If all of the above questions were answered with a YES, THEN GET OFF YOUR DEAD BUT AND GET ONE BEFORE THERE ALL GONE.:D

Back