Convince me to buy a 10mm!

I like what shooter22 said:

" . . .Para Ordnance P-16 40 and have a 10mm barrel made for it. 18+1 in a 10mm is a great thing!"

Get that one and the G20 - sooner or later you'll have a friend/loved one you convert to 10mm and you can lend them "that other gun" while you continue on with the Para.

Glock does have some advantages - 16 rds - aftermarket barrels - wouldn't a 6" ported barrel be nice when you decided to go handgun hunting :D

ERRainman
who can't believe he just suggested you get a Glock, but only a 10mm or .45 ;)

A custom P-16 is too expensive,Glock 10mm hi caps cost half as much as some guns and the 20 is the size of a box of Wheaties,and neither are CZ pattern or anything like a Bren 10. :D Seriously Glocks and 1911s are great I`m just not in the market for one of them right now. :) FWIW EAA has 4.5", 5.25" and 6" barrels available for the Witness either ported or threaded for a comp. At any rate I traded my Ruger P-97 today and ordered a 10mm Witness,fullsize,steel,wonder finish and a spare mag. :D Marcus

Welcome to the 10mm Club!

I just got myself a Delta Elite to go along with my Glock 20C...

http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/4473/delta_elite.jpg

I had an early EAA Witness 10mm, it was a good gun. Make sure your magazines are the new ones with red followers and reshaped feed lips, the old ones were unreliable as all get-out. With new mags it never had a hiccup and had pretty good accuracy... and the Witness is beefy enough to handle "real" 10mm ammo. Definitley a good value.

BTW, you can get a pretty good deal on 10mm Blazers at http://www.ammoman.com. Shipping is included, you can pay less for 10mm practice ammo than alot of .45 ACP shooters pay at the corner store. There are other good values out there too. For the high-zoot stuff see my list above.

The only other thing I'd throw out is that 10mm, like most magnum-power-level cartridges, gains ALOT of speed from extra barrel length. Go to a 6" barrel if you plan to hunt or just want more power (see previous post for details).

C.B.

The first 10mm that I owned was a Smith & Wesson 1006 in the early '90s. It was a very accurate and reliable gun, but I definitely disliked the double-action trigger. I wouldn't have the trigger "fixed" due to liability concerns, so I sold it. My next, and last, 10mm was a Colt Delta Elite which I purchased up a couple of years later. It's here to stay.
As to the power of the 10mm, I can say that I remain unconvinced of its parity with or similarity to the .41 Magnum, but I do think it's an excellent cartridge.

You are unconvinced for a good reason...

10mm is NOT equivalent in power to .41 Magnum. You can load heavier bullets faster in a .41 Magnum than you can in a 10mm, to the tune of 260gr and 900+ ft-lbs. From a 6" barrel 10mm maxes out at about 800 ft-lbs (e.g. Cor-Bon 180gr JSP chrono'd @1400+ FPS and Georgia Arms 155gr JHP@1500+ FPS from a 6" barreled Glock 20).

In terms of power, 10mm really falls between .357 Magnum and .41 Magnum. With typical self-defense loads they are equivalent, but .41 Magnum has a higher power celing.

C.B.

I guess the confusion is that the 10mm is very similar to mid range defensive .41 mag. loads. The full power .41 mag. loads are of course far and away more powerful. But then you can`t get 11 (or even 16 with a G20) of em in a concealable auto. :) Of course it`s all academic for me until the gunshop calls and tells me to come pick up the 10mm Witness I ordered. :D Marcus

Back