Convince me to buy a 10mm!

Marcus

I`ve got the bug to buy an EAA Witness in 10mm. Full sized, wonder finish, you know a poor mans Bren10. So I ve been doing a lot of research on the 10mm and although it`s generally said to be a quite powerfull cartridge nipping at the heels of the 41mag I can`t help but notice that the ballistics of even the hottest loads are just barely,if any, hotter than .45ACP +Ps. I know it would make much more sense to get a Witness in .45ACP but then it wouldn`t be a 10mm. Know what I mean? :) So talk me into it 10mm guys! :D Marcus

Top 10 reasons to buy a new/used/any/10mm . . . gun:

10. It ain't a .40 S$!t and Wimpy.

9. You ain't got one yet.

8. You already had the reloading die.

7. You ain't got one yet.

6. The safe/range bag/nightstand/your hand had an empty space.

5. You ain't got one yet.

4. You were buying new targets and thought you needed a test weapon with which to test their effectiveness as a training tool.

3. You ain't got one yet!?

2. It looks good in your hand/on you hip/in the nightstand . . .

1. YOU AIN'T GOT ONE *YET*!!!

ERRainman
who gets in lots of trouble for those "empty spaces" in the safe/nightstand/hand . . . and loves it!!!

Got a blued Witness in 10. Like it, but haven't exactly broken it in yet.

FWIW, I got the blued after trying unsuccessfully to get the wonder finish for a couple of months.....

Steve

10. You can make fun of the 9mm guys cause you have one more millimeter.

9. Your Grandma carries a .40 and you can't let her challenge your manhood.

8. You spend all day pumping iron at the gym and all other puny calibers no longer interest you.

7. The only gun magazines that you have in your bathroom were from when 10mm was the caliber to have.

6. When they outlaw all the military calibers in America, you will still have bullets.

5. Its kinda cool to say over and over..10 millimeter, 10 millimeter, kinda your own mantra.

4. Something about making everyone else on the firing line flinch everytime you shoot gives you deep personal satisfaction.

3. There may be a day when a grizzly bear gets loose from the city zoo and you will be crowned "Citizen of the Year" for saving a bus load of kids.

2. You can shoot at the PETA people when they get pissed at you for shooting the poor wittle stuffy wuffy bear. Animals are our freinds, don't ya know that?

1. Cause ya want to dammit! That's WhY!!! ..(ps..do not word it this way to the wifey, you may end up having some similarities to the bear in #3)

Good SHooting
Red

marcus...

hello...

if you already have a .45... you might take a look at the .40 super... (135 gr. @ 1800 fps... out of a 5" tube...)

best of luck...

regards... v.

You guys have me ROTFL!!!!!! :D All good reasons! I`ll have to check on the "wonder-if -I-can-get-it-finish". :) Marcus

BOOM! BOOM, BOOM! ehehehehehe BOOM!

Hey... what the heck you shootin' over there?

BOOM! Oh just a little 10MM ehehehehehe :cool:

I shoot competitively with an STI 2011 in 10mm. It's a lot easier to find the brass after my squad shoots a stage while everyone is sorting through the myriad of .40 and .45 brass covering the ground. It's also satifying when someone holds a piece of my brass in the air and yells for all the world to hear: "Who is shooting 10mm?". The crowd parts, as if I was Moses carrying the 10 Commandments, as I walk confidently up to claim my jewel. Now you know why there are 10 of them, because God carryies a 10mm too. So don't piss God off, buy the 10mm. If you have more than three, you get a free pass to heaven.

You found a 10mm shell at the range the other day and realized that it would be a WASTE OF RESOURCES to not use this shell over again. Therefore, a new 10mm will help you recycle :) How's THAT for liberal logic?

Ben

[Edited by Ben on 03-25-2001 at 01:14 AM]

If you want the most power you can get from a factory-standard caliber in a service-sized automatic, get a 10mm.

There are wildcats out there that are more powerful, but ammo for them is made by all of 1-2 companies. 10mm ammo is made by CCI, Cor-Bon, Federal, Georgia Arms, Hornady, Pro Load, Triton, Winchester... and so on to the tune of about 15 stout self-defense and hunting loads and who knows how many cheapo practice rounds and "FBI-lite" subsonic JHPs. Order your practice ammo from http://www.ammoman.com and you will probalby pay less than guys are paying for .45 ACP at the corner store.

"I can`t help but notice that the ballistics of even the hottest loads are just barely,if any, hotter than .45ACP +Ps."

Wrong. In decent bullet weights (i.e. not 165gr ultralights) .45 ACP +P maxes out at around 520 ft-lbs (advertised). All of the following FACTORY loads are more powerful, some by as many as 100 ft-lbs or more.

Cor-Bon
135gr@1400 FPS / 585 ft-lbs
150gr@1325 FPS / 582 ft-lbs
180gr@1320 FPS / 694 ft-lbs (chrono'd from a 6" barrel at 1400+ FPS / 800+ ft-lbs)
200gr@1200 FPS / 637 ft-lbs

Federal
155gr@1330 FPS / 606 ft-lbs

Georgia Arms
155gr@1375 FPS / 648 ft-lbs (Chrono'd from 6" barrel at 1538 FPS/800+ ft-lbs)

Pro Load
135gr@1440 FPS / 619 ft-lbs
155gr@1350 FPS / 627 ft-lbs

Triton
155gr Quik-Shok @ 1400 FPS / 674 ft-lbs

Winchester
175gr@1290 FPS / 649 ft-lbs

No .45 ACP +P load can hope to break 600 ft-lbs, and only one loading makes more than 550 ft-lbs (Cor-Bon and Triton's 165gr +P @ 1250 FPS/570 ft-lbs). "Moderate" 10mm loads operate at the TOP of the .45 ACP +P power envelope (e.g. 180gr Georgia Arms, Hornady & Pro Load @ ~1200 FPS/550 ft-lbs, 165gr Cor-Bon @ 1250 FPS/570 ft-lbs) and go UP from there. With longer barrels, the gulf just gets bigger...

It gets even worse if you compare bullets of comparable sectional density (different-caliber bullets with similar SD will have similar penetration)...

Cor-Bon 230gr .45 ACP +P = 950 FPS / 459 ft-lbs
Winchester Silvertip 175gr 10mm = 1290 FPS / 649 ft-lbs

Cor-Bon 200gr .45 ACP +P = 1050 FPS / 487 ft-lbs
Georgia Arms 155gr 10mm = 1375 FPS / 648 ft-lbs

Cor-Bon 165gr .45 ACP +P = 1250 FPS / 570 ft-lbs
Pro Load 135gr 10mm = 1440 FPS / 619 ft-lbs

C.B.

Marcus; I'm in the market for a 10mm also but the choices sure are limited. I think I'll explore the Witness also. However, I must defend my S&W 41 maggie. With Federals 250gr Hardcast loads out of a six inch barrel I'm pushin' 900ft. lbs. No ten mill even comes close. A powerful semi-auto it is for sure but it's no 41 magnum. Best Regards, J. Parker

10mm is one of two really great cartridges that got eclipsed by the LE rush to .40 (the other being the .41AE). 10mm is versatile. From mild "FBI Lite" loads to stompers in the 900ft/lb area; all are within the realm of possibility using the same gun, barrel, springs, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love my .45's (G30, 625) but everybody and their brother totes a .45 ACP. Toting a 10mm marks you as a rugged individualist, an iconoclast, apart from the madding crowd; kinda like when they show a character in a movie who's a cellist... ;)

Get the Witness 10mm. Cheap, (at least mine is) very reliable and a great trigger right out of the box!

Besides, there is really nothing like the feeling of power when you cut loose a hot load of blue dot on a crowded range and the 9mm users part back to give you a clean bench.

As some one else said on an earlier post, "shooting a 10mm is like Moses parting the sea, the other shooters just move out of your way"

Get the 10mm, great round.

I went out looking for one today,no luck I`ll have to order one. I was lucky enough to run into a salesman who was toting a Glock 20 and wanted to "talk 10" for awhile. His was loaded with 16rds. of Corbon 180gr.Penetrator hunting loads! I would`ve ordered the WItness from him but their price was out of line. My regular gunshop is closed today so it`ll have to wait a couple days but the decision is made. Thanks folks! :) Marcus

Marcus:

The most common 10mm out there is the Glock 20. For another $150 to $200, you can have the platform that was originally designed around the 10mm round.

And there are tons of accessories like 6" hunting barrels to even milk another 150 fps out of the round and get a little better accuracy.

I like EAA Witnesses and their conversion kits BUT their customer service is marginal. Do the reserach. I've heard a good dozen gripes about EAA. And I think their marketing is tacky. Who cares if they've got a binkini clad hunnie packin a gun. Although I do appreciate EAA's effort to market a diverse line of 10mm guns especially the full-sized steel model. It is nice.

But with the polymer frame, even stout 10mm loads are a pleasure to shoot. Some of the 10mm steel framed semiautos and revolvers aren't.

And the ballistics of the 10mm equal that of the 357 mag and approach the 41 mag. If you reload, you can produce some rounds delivering maybe 800 + fpe with a 200 grain bullet. You can't hunt with a .45 acp but you can with a 10mm.

Get a Glock 20!

[Edited by jtduncan on 03-28-2001 at 03:26 PM]

jtd,there`s some good logic in your post. Problem is I have no desire to own a 10mm Glock(or any Glock except maybe a 30). I really like CZ type pistols ,to me they point better,have much better triggers and not that it`s important but they`re much better looking. I have nothing against Glocks as shooting appliances but this is gonna mostly be a fun gun. Besides I like a challenge. ;) I`m planning on having EGW do a trigger job on the Witness right away and install a heavier Wolff recoil spring and all of EGW`s heavy duty parts. It should be pretty neat. :D Marcus

Back