Converting a Mossberg Patriot into a (hopefully) Real Rifle

Timney contacted me promptly--nice folks that they are--and said Mossberg is known for switching back and forth on the trigger sizes without consistency between their short and long actions. Hopefully will get that straightened out shortly.

After I scoured the internet I couldn't find schematics for the difference between the short and long action triggers, Timney sent me one, showing the difference.
attachment.php

Attachments

• thumbnail_Mossberg Measurements.png
    thumbnail_Mossberg Measurements.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 559
I'm sure you'll get the trigger issue sorted out. Is Timney going to swap you triggers?

I've steered a wide bearth around Mossberg rifles since the start. As mentioned they were Raptors, and they had a horrible reputation. I've looked at them from time to time but always thought "I'd better not", I'm glad my intuition is being proved correct. I've always looked at much smaller cartridges though than the .375 Ruger.

I'm sure you'll get the trigger issue sorted out. Is Timney going to swap you triggers?

I've steered a wide bearth around Mossberg rifles since the start. As mentioned they were Raptors, and they had a horrible reputation. I've looked at them from time to time but always thought "I'd better not", I'm glad my intuition is being proved correct. I've always looked at much smaller cartridges though than the .375 Ruger.
Your inner voice has served you well. ;) timney did say they would swap the triggers.

Thanks for posting the Timney Schematics, stagpanther.
You're welcome, though it's courtesy of Timney. BTW--just out of curiosity since you have a LA patriot--which measurements conform to the trigger in your rifle?

I replaced the factory mounts with a Weaver rail, because I needed to move the scope back 1/4" so for best eye relief from field positions. So it was time to re-zero. I load the Hornady 150 grain BTSP in mixed-headstamp 30-06 brass with H4895 at 0.5 grain under listed max charge. It's accurate, produces 2900 fps (+/-50) and clobbers deer & coyotes.

I only shot to 200 yards today but when I sorted headstamps, I was getting 1 MOA for 3 shots and I'm satisfied with that. The last shot centered a 6" falling plate, I just couldn't resist shooting at. Now it has a big ugly hole I need to weld shut.

When my torque driver arrives I'll reset the action screws and shoot it at 325 yards.

Last edited:
For the guy who wants to avoid all this fix-it nonsense and just get along with his as-issued Mossberg Patriot, here's one owner's experimentation with action screw torque and how it affects accuracy.

Best results occurred around 35 inch-pounds, the upper limit of what I was quoted from the factory. I'm betting Mossberg didn't get those figures from an Ouija Board. Go much beyond that you'll break something- as I can attest.

https://youtu.be/d5WNfffNq3s
Thank you! was able to get 1moa out of mine but it took a lot of work. Going to play with the torque in 5lb increments from 25-35 and see if it helps.

Thank you! was able to get 1moa out of mine but it took a lot of work. Going to play with the torque in 5lb increments from 25-35 and see if it helps.

I crept my action screws up to 35 in/lbs and will give it a few shots to settle. Please let us know your findings.

You're welcome, though it's courtesy of Timney. BTW--just out of curiosity since you have a LA patriot--which measurements conform to the trigger in your rifle?

Measured today and mine conforms to the 610-S. I think that S stands for 'short' alright, but it refers to the length of the trigger body as opposed to the action.

I think that S stands for 'short' alright, but it refers to the length of the trigger body as opposed to the action.
One would think--but they list the longer trigger under "LBA long action" which is what I ordered. Sort of "reverse logic" like savage's short and long shank barrel nuts.:rolleyes:

This was an enjoyable thread. Thanks. And I have learnd to stay away from Mossberg rifles. The only "Budget" gun I own is a Ruger American in 243 and so far its been a decent rifle for the $275 I paid for it NIB.

But I much prefer just getting an older Remington 700 if I can find one. Never had a single issue with any Remington I have ever owned and all have been shooters. I have an old model 700 from the mid 1960s in 30-06 and it consistently grouped anything I had on hand into an inch and half or less. But rarely under an inch.

Now it wears no scope but has a Williams Guide Sight on the rear scope holes. Its sort of my replacement for not having some old military gun like a 98 Mauser or a SMLE. I love how it feels to wrap my hand around it and not be hitting a scope. And at 100 yards with the open sites I can hit soup can sized targets. I haven't shot it father than that with the open sights.

Did you get a Timney in your Patriot and if so, how do you like it?
I sent the original trigger back--which did not fit. I've e-mailed Timney a couple of times about getting a replacement sent out to me after the original was returned, so far I've had no response from them, so I haven't had a chance to try one out in the Patriot yet. I still have a tootsie pop they sent me.

Sarge, my Timney replacement trigger came in today and I just installed it. Functionally it's the right size and works properly, however, the trigger pull adjustment screw sticks out roughly twice as far as the stock LBA trigger's and will not clear the inlet in my stock, so I had to machine out additional space in the stock's inlet to get the necessary clearance. Easy to do and now works fine.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4693.jpg
    IMG_4693.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_4692.jpg
    IMG_4692.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 393
Back