Conversion Cylinder

Once Again, THANK YOU, Driftwood

Seems like you've provided a boatload of information addressing questions I've asked and even ones I haven't! Those are the ones that have formed in my head as this thread has gone on.

I certainly appreciate all this help, Mister Johnson, and I get the feeling that I'm not the only one who has benefited from your comprehensive posts.

The only thing left to do at this point is to order a conversion cylinder and I've already done that! I decided to buy one of Taylor's made for the Uberti 1860 Army replicas.

And YES, thank you for catching the velocity vs. pressure issue, I understand your point yet find myself duplicating the bad thinking that goes into the accepted advertising (as well as "common") language without thinking.

Best Regards - MoW

Let me say that I also was alittle confused by your question . Thus I did not post a reply back then.
Past that . I converted my 36 cal 1851 Uberti with a kirst conversion to shoot 38 . Since it was an older conversion cylinder it did not have a loading gate on the backer ring .
I also had to open up the loading area on the frame. That wasn’t a big issue at all .
After shooting it a while , I found I was not having issues with the shells falling out , but instead an issue with the casing in the loading area moving out just enough that it would jam the cylinder. So I made a loading gate to fit the ring and the loading area . Also not a big issue . Just took alittle planning . Some bar stock and a file .
To unload the spent casing I been just using a small dowel to push casings out . Someday when I don’t have other projects I will make a spring type push ejector that will mount to the side of the barrel . I have not done that as of yet because I like the looks of the loading rod being on the gun . The one the manufactures offer do not allow for that .so ill make my own .
I have never shot BP in that conversion . I shoot 4.2 grains of American select and love the hell out of it .

As to the cased cartridges. Cartridge evolution runs pretty much parallel to muzzle loading . Its not hard to find documentation supporting this . Some where around here I have photos of rifle cartridges used in flintlock type designs , dating to the 17th and early 18th centuries . The Puckle gun is an example that comes quickly to mind .
For the most part the reason it didn’t really take off for common use was because of cost . The early cartridges I have seen were made of iron and hard to reproduce .
Early in the 19th century there were brass cartridges with fulminate primers . Those however were turned brass and or paper and thus still expensive to produce . Not to long after when the percussion cap came about we see these same cartridges with the fulminate being replace with a percussion nipple which then held the percussion cap . Again because the casing was turned brass , the system was to expensive for common use . Pauly’s needle gun type designs which used cartridges that were far cheaper to produce also was during this time frame and you have the pin fire coming into use . What really took the cartridge evolution into common use was the advent of a way to cheaply mass produced spun brass cartridges . that’s what the revolver guns had been waiting centuries for and the application took off quickly both in manufacturing and in the conversions of CB to cartridge.

Back