Conversion cylinder for Colt SAA

I think I will abandon the idea.
I have 1911s to shoot 45 ACP.
A new "drop-in" cylinder would be terrific....but....
....it would still need fitting.
And, if sent to Colt would need shipping.

Plus.... I don't CARE what 45 Colt ...SELLS...for. There are just none that I can find locally and California requires FFL transfer of ammo. :mad:

Reloading is another issue. While I have saved all the cases I have shot in the SAA New Frontier, there then is trying to find ...primers.

I have plenty of SMALL pistol primers. But no large. :(

I have enough boxed 45 Colt to last my short time left. And anyhow I mostly just ...look...at the gun.

new-frontier-2.jpg

Thinking even MORE clearly today....:D.. I don't shoot my revolvers nearly enough anyhow.

So....thanks for all the suggestions. All were considered.

Fine forum. :)

Good lookin' New Frontier, Lavan. I have the SAA version (7-1/2" bbl.) and fitted a .45 ACP cylinder to it with just a file stroke or two to adjust length. The gun's more accurate with the ACP cylinder than the original .45 Colt, but not by much. That long inter-sight distance, even with hog wallow and finger nail sights makes accuracy easier. Either way it's a 2" grouping Colt at 25 yds. Best Regards, Rod

One thing to consider is the Colt is limited to the SAAMI limit of 14,000. Auto ammo goes up to 23,000. The Ruger Blackhawk Combo is a medium frame that is rated for 23,000. I would stick to the 1911.

It's not the frame here that sets 'pressure' limits. It is the cylinder. So as long as the cylinder can handle .45 ACP +P ammo, your good to go. Cylinders built today are 'much' stronger than those made back in 1876....

As to .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertibles, I have two Ruger Blackhawks that were factory fitted with ACP cylinders. One cylinder would not chamber my reloads until I had the throats reamed. And I stumbled o this neat diversion:

I had many .45 Colt cases with split case mouths and was ready to scrap them when I got the brilliant (?) idea to shorten them to ACP length. I cut the cases to the same length as .45 ACP and loaded them, using .45 ACP loading data. The result was what I termed the .45 Xtra Short and I fire them in my ACP cylinder, though, of course, the work equally well in the Colt chamber.

Just fo fun:

Bob Wright

"Bob: That is now available as the Cowboy Special."

I know, but then I'd have to buy that. Ad I have penty of split cases of .45 on hand.

And, CraigC told me the .45 Cowboy Special will not work in his Ruger with ACP cylinder, as its a mite too long.

Bob Wright

I have a USFA that is factory fitted with both cylinders and it is accurate with either cylinder. In this photo it has the .45 ACP cylinder installed

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC03143-1.JPG
    DSC03143-1.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 71
Like I said, I think I will abandon the idea.

Now maybe if I rechambered my 1911 for 45 LC and.............. :p

Back