Conversation with your kids.

Moon sorry if you took that as a personal attack. I did not mean it to be. Just my opinions and paraphrasing from what I've heard others say. I would have highlighted and quoted you if that's what I had wanted to do. I was simply stating my opinion and personal feelings on the matter. I reckon I did so poorly but we aren't all scholars on here. Take a kid shooting and teach them fundamentals. They can then defend themselves and feed themselves for life.

Most all safety issues are not either/or propositions.

We keep our guns locked away from children AND we teach children gun safety.

We identify targets before firing, AND we teach our kids not to impersonate burglars. Even if you wait for positive ID, nothing good can come from training a loaded gun on your teenager acting like a burglar.

We've all read of stories where kids used guns for defense. As much as we may not want to talk about it, it has to be discussed as a very last resort.

Teens and gun access? Each kid needs to be individually evaluated. I guess some need to be reminded of how many teens make up our military. As an avid shooter and hunter, my son's .22 rifle and shotgun were on a gun rack in his bedroom from age 10. For other kids, that might be a very bad idea.

heavier duty with locks. I of course will have a key to open from the outside. That is one good idea so far

While, I personally like the idea, that is a violation of the National Fire Safety Code and at the least will get you a big fine at the worst a charge of involuntary manslaughter if someone dies.

No keyed locks on inside doors are allowed. I had to remove mine a while back during an inspection. Locks on outside doors, OK, inside doors a big NO, NO. I just have to do with organic bugler alarms (2 of them) and a 45 tucked next to the bed when not on my belt.

I don't agree with it, but you have to pay the piper (follow the rules) to keep the fire department happy. Check on your local fire regulations before spending the money on them. Stay safe.
Jim

Last edited:
Back