Contemplating second gun

Since the 40 S&W came out, I have always been a 40 S&W fan in semi-auto's. But, in this particular case, I think you should probably think in terms of a 9mm in a semi-auto or a 38 spl in a small revolver. I agree that the hammer should probably not be exposed although the Ruger LCR in 38spl with the small exposed hammer might be a consideration. The concern with an exposed hammer is cocking the revolver in a pocket carry situation and have the gun fire when you are not expecting it possibly injuring you or others by accident or worse. The little alloy framed 38's do have a fair amount of recoil and I can't say that I enjoy shooting my S&W 442. But if you are going to carry it, shooting it is a necessity. But, as far as I'm concerned, the level of accuracy is less since the expected use would be at short range. It is not hard to hit a 6" pie plate pretty consistantly at 7 yds. With traditional holster carry, the exposed hammer revolver is less an issue.

The smaller 1911's are popular for a concealed carry handgun.

Great info here from everyone. I have a lot to consider now, and a lot of homework to do. Next time I go to the range,I plan on trying out a short revolver and a 1911. I'm probably going to end up waiting until after the first of the year to make a purchase, but this seems like it is going to require lots of research.

Are K frames easily carried? I figured they would be too big to easily conceal.

Personally, I find 4" K Frames extremely easy to conceal and comfortable to carry. I love them too, which also has something to do with it ... since you aren't "feeling" the Glock, you probably won't enjoy carrying it and it will quickly become a pain, literally.

A K frame or 19111 is possible IF you invest in a good quality gun belt and holster and are will to dress around the gun a bit (more or less depending on the stocks on the gun and butt configuration - square or round). Also, you have to be motivated to carry it. A motivated gun nut will find it easy to carry Dirty Harry's S&W Model 29, while a non gun person who's just interested in protection will find a Ruger LCP uncomfortable.

For a gun belt, something like a 1.5" bullhide belt from thebeltman.net works wonders. Excellent, long lasting gun belts.

For the holster, I like the FIST #20 leather IWB, with optional sweat shield that keeps the hammer from digging into my side when I'm seated. I'm about to try a Milt Sparks Versa Max II for a 4" S&W N Frame, when it arrives in the mail in December. Yes, I find even a massive war hammer like my 4" S&W Model 28 doable, though I don't carry it every day. The VM II has an excellent reputation, and the price and wait time reflect that. I think its about a 10 week wait, and the cost is around $125.

I find 4" revolvers more comfortable to carry than sub 3" versions. More gun to spread and balance the weight and pressure over a larger area. Push your fist against your side, then with the same force do it with your palm and fingers spread out. Feels more secure against my side than a 2" snub. Granted, I am 6'7". If you are 5', a 4" barrel may prove a little long when seated.

A round butt with the S&W factory service stocks (and if you need it, a Tyler T-grip adapter) is very concealable. I have a 3" Model 13 and a 2.5" Model 66 that I can conceal with nothing more than a white T-shirt.

Square butts require a bit bigger and baggier shirt, but I do shoot them better. So it is a tradeoff.

As for 1911s, I frequently carry a steel 5" Springfield Milspec. Again, with quality gear (a Gary Brommeland Max Con V leather IWB holster in this case), I find it the most comfortable gun I own to carry other than my flyweight S&W 642 in a pocket holster.

Carrying a big heavy gun takes a good week or so to get used to. Eventually I got to the point where I rarely notice it. Still, having a little pocket blaster like a S&W J Frame or Ruger LCP can be really convenient at times, such as when doing yard work.

I will say that if you have back, knee or hip pain, carrying a heavy gun like a steel K frame or 1911 may be a challenge even with high end carry equipment.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're getting on the right track now Boz Mon. :)

You have a lot of experience in front of you that needs to be behind you.

second gun

Taurus makes a titanium 38 special 2" hammerless 5 shot revolver that is not expensive. I personally don't care for titanium, too light. I realize that this is by most considered a "cheap" imitation but if you're not going to put 2000 rounds thru it, this is not that terrible and does fit most of your parameters. Like the man before said, "go to a range that you can rent and try very thing you can".

Last edited:
Ok my experimenting started today. I did go to the range this past wednesday by myself wanting to rent a 1911 or a snubby revolver. I got overwhelmed and I just ended up shooting my 617.

Today, I brought my friend with and I told him that he has to make me rent a 1911 no matter what. I ended up renting a Ruger 1911 and I put I think 100 rounds through it. I really liked the gun, and I enjoyed shooting it. The recoil was a lot less than what I was expecting, and my hand wasnt hurting after I finished firing the gun.

I like the gun so much that I think I am going to forget about looking at revolvers at this point and focus on the bajillion different 1911's. I have a lot of homework to do.

My 1 issue with the Ruger was, I couldnt comfortably reach the slide release with my thumb on my right hand.

. I have no idea where to start looking for info on good carry guns. I do know a few things. I dont want a glock, and I'm still not used to the bigger .45 magnum loads so I would like to consider smaller caliber. I wouldnt mind another revolver, that being said, if I got a carry revolver, I want one with an exposed hammer. I was also looking at the smaller 1911's

making all your mistakes at once, I see. ;)

I dont want a glock

Why? Just wondering.
OK, too ugly. Your call. They do work, and are no more unsightly than a dozen others I and think of. And a concealed gun will be out of sight. And, they're easy to work on, parts are all available, and there are aftermarket goodies galore (the vast majority of which you should just ignore).

bigger .45 magnum loads so I would like to consider smaller caliber

Just pick one. As long as it's .380 or above, it probably doesn't matter. .45 ACP isn't bad. Neither, internet gunboard special tender snowflakes to the contrary, is .40 S&W. Some of them, no, you probably don't want in a very small and light pistol. Which shouldn't be what you buy at this time, anyway.

if I got a carry revolver

A carry revolver will probably be a 2" barrel small "snub nose" .38. Not a good first gun.

if I got a carry revolver, I want one with an exposed hammer.

Shoot your carry revolver double action, only.

Last edited:
Why? Just wondering.
OK, too ugly. Your call. They do work, and are no more unsightly than a dozen others I and think of. And a concealed gun will be out of sight. And, they're easy to work on, parts are all available, and there are aftermarket goodies galore (the vast majority of which you should just ignore).
His call, but I think the OP is more interested in aesthetic appeal than comfort, concealability, and performance.
Kinda stuck on the "classic" look of steel, and hammers. :D
If it works for him fine, if not, somebody might get a deal on a used 1911.

I think you should test out every trigger style and see what you like. I might also add, Glocks are ugly, but your hard pressed to find a better all around gun than a Glock 19.

That being said, if I were in your shoes I would be looking at a USP compact 9mm. Built like a tank, good for carry, and shoots like a dream. The only reason I would suggest the USPC over a P2000 is that HK as $200 rebate on pretty much everything but the VP9 and P2k series. That makes it as cheap as a Gen4 Glock. DA/SA or LEM trigger.

I have tried several carry guns, and I do mean several. I finally settled on the Ruger LC9S. Glock like but very pocket concealable. I have tried Glock, Revolvers and even pocket .380's. This LC9S is just awesome. You must settle on something that you will be happy carrying daily.
Comfort is the key

Back