Contemplating Revolver Purchase

Both of my SP101's had/have very stiff triggers, but it's a sample size of two.

If it were me I would haunt GB until I found an older Smith that was affordable. I like them better than the newer ones.

I'm pretty new to revolvers myself, but I just looked at those three, plus the Kimber K6 line at a store recently. The Kimber's trigger was unbelievably smooth. Much better, I thought, than the Colt's. They were priced comparably but the fit and finish of the Kimber looked better to me.

Not that it has anything to do with how well they shoot, reliability or any of that.

But that Kimber? She sure was awful purty...... :)

I'm pretty new to revolvers myself, but I just looked at those three, plus the Kimber K6 line at a store recently. The Kimber's trigger was unbelievably smooth. Much better, I thought, than the Colt's. They were priced comparably but the fit and finish of the Kimber looked better to me.

Not that it has anything to do with how well they shoot, reliability or any of that.

But that Kimber? She sure was awful purty...... :)

I shoot 500 S&W and bigger but that Kimber K6S recoil is something else. I could barely shoot 100 rounds.

On my S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot I can do 200-250 rounds of 357 Magnum and not feel it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm a Smith guy for the past 50+ yrs or so...so...I'd recommend either a M66 or a M60...if you can live with only 5 shots for the latter. I'd also opt for adj. sights for ease of sighting in with a variety of loads.

As to caliber, you pays your nickle and you takes your chance...but I'd opine that any .357 is pretty light for a serious cat/bear attack...two legged varmints are another matter, and a stout stick is all you really need for snakes. YMMv Rod

Happy Thanksgiving Pistoleros,

It's been a long while since I've purchased a revolver. I am considering buying a 3" .357 Mag. I'll use it as a hiking/trail handgun in So Cal. It will be worn inside of an OWB holster.

Here are the three that I'm considering:

S&W Model 66 2.75"
Colt King Cobra 3"
Ruger SP 101 3"

It's primary purpose will be rattlers (shot capsules). It's possible to run across a lion. Lastly, bipedal vermin defense. It will not be for black bear defense, although 5 or 6 180 grain .357 Mag rounds ought to cause me to have to call a game warden to arrange for transportation of a black bear carcass.

Of the three, my guess is Ruger is the best. But I don't have actual knowledge that supports that guess; hence, I would greatly appreciate help from guys who do have knowledge of revolvers.

I don't want to jump on a Black Friday deal only to regret a hasty purchase, assuming I find a Black Friday deal.
I never shoot full power ammo from my SP101. Yikes! For that application I would be carrying a longer barrel and six rounds.

The reset on the King Cobra is terrible. First gun in 40 years that I had issues with the reset. The Ruger is capable, but has a mediocre trigger (if you have it worked on).
I'd go with the Smith.

Another one you might consider is the LCRx. Ruger just recently (finally!) began offering the LCRx in .357 with a 3" barrel. It will have a much better trigger feel than the SP101 and will be lighter for trail/hiking carry. Only 5 shots though.

Another vote here for a longer barrel, like, 4-5/8". I hike with a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt. If I wanted to scale down, I would probably go with a New Vaquero in 357. But then I favor a single-action revolver.

Hi Guys,

I already have a 4" GP 100.

I want a smaller and lighter revolver for all day carry on hikes.

I darn near pulled the trigger on a Kimber. A friend told me to read as much as I could about Kimber.

I did pull the trigger on a 2.75" Model 66. It was a compromise.

It should be at my FFL early next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATRP View Post
Here are the three that I'm considering:

S&W Model 66 2.75"
Colt King Cobra 3"
Ruger SP 101 3"
Pick one. You'll be fine.

Yep; but with these caveats: If you prefer six shots over five (I do); you're down to the Smith and the Colt. If you insist on having the best da trigger pull of these two (I do), my pick is the Colt.

Hi Guys,

I already have a 4" GP 100.

I want a smaller and lighter revolver for all day carry on hikes.

I darn near pulled the trigger on a Kimber. A friend told me to read as much as I could about Kimber.

It should be at my FFL early next week.

That ought to be fun to shoot.

dd70cd718b5de60e7e340b920529c936.jpg
I have a S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum which I love.

It’s my concealed carry pistol, though.

I have this for the woods:

71bddc28bdf3e0e5ddc2fffa62ca6158.jpg
500 S&W 4”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good choice, but I'd have opted for the longer 4" bbl. If concealment is a concern, it's the grip length that's more difficult to hide than another 1-1/4" of bbl. All that said, the 66 is a great gun, with a history in LEO use that's enviable. The newest Smith iteration is a good choice too, if that's what you bought. Truth be told, I really like and carry a Smith M60 with a 3" bbl. and have used it to finish two deer wounded by poor rifle marksmanship. 160 gr. LSWC's did the job from 15 yds...~1050 fps

For ammunition I'd suggest a good JHP for anything but bear defense. I load my own and like a LSWC doing roughly 1100 fps for defense use. Here on the farm for every day carry, plinking to putting down stock, that's more than enough.

Post again when you get it out to the range for your shake down sessions. I'd be interested in how it works out. BTW, I carry mine in a Tom Threepersons open top OWB holster of my own make,,,El Paso Saddlery makes a fine example, pricey but superb quality all the way.

HTH's Rod

I have a 2in SP101---its been more accurate than my 4in GP100 but haven't shot the GP nearly as much either.

I replaced the factory grip with a rubber Hogue grip(sub$20)---makes all the difference for me----full power .357s aren't bad at all.

Both triggers aren't that bad and get better with use---both are factory stock----replaced the hideous Hogue grip that comes with the GP100 with the old style Ruger factory grip with wood inserts and replaced the factory front sight with a fiber optic one---which makes the GP much more shoot able.

The Hogue rubber grips for SP and GP are very different animals.

I'd go with the Ruger. I own a Security Six in stainless 2.75 in barrel , load it with .38 +p or .357 mag full wadcutters. Not woods walking here, strictly to ward off bi ped-type critters. The weight definitely adds to superior control for me, but that's just me.

I would choose the one that can be best adapted toward supporting the purposeful pursuit of skill.

The Colt will have fixed sights unless you buy the larger target version. I'm not that familiar with the new Colts, but I'm skeptical of them and have strong doubt they are a good value for the high price.

That SP101 also has a fixed sight. Some longer-barreled versions have adjustable sights. The SP101 is also only 5-shot. This can be a hindrance when using a higher volume of cartridges in training classes.

The Model 66. I'm convinced it has the best trigger of the three. It has adjustable sights. It has a 6-shot cylinder.

I prefer adjustable sights not only because they're adjustable, but also because the rear blade always gives a more precise sight picture than just a gutter or even the Novak type dovetail sights. I also prefer adjustable sights because it means the frame is drilled and tapped and I can use an adapter plate for a red-dot sight. Maybe that's not something that's appealing to you now, but the more I shoot, the more I like the dot.

Whatever you get, I would send the cylinder to TK Custom and have them cut it for moon-clips and send you at least a package of 10 moon clips. They promise a fast turnaround which S&W and others like Cylinder and Slide may not. Get a BMT mooner/demooner. With that setup, you will have no trouble keeping up with the pistol shooters in classes. It will also make your practice time more productive provided you practice with a distinct plan and not just to burn through ammo.

I've had a few SP101's over the years. They always slip away for one reason or another. Normally I shoot a 357 through it and it rips my finger and I realize my model 60 has the same capacity and normally a better trigger in a smaller package.
Recently I purchased a 2"DAO 38 only SP101. The guy I bought it from had peri formed a trigger job. The trigger on this gun is amazing. I have a 3" 65 and a 4" 586. The SP has the best trigger of the three.

I carry that model 66 virtually every day on my ranch in No. AZ. Typically, three snake loads are followed by three hollow points. With practice, this pistol hits everything I need at the distances I would need to shoot. Other than dispatching one rattlesnake, it's only fired occasionally to scare off coyotes.

Back