Contemplating first suppressor purchase

The Sparrow is the benchmark because when it was introduced a better part of a decade ago it was the first major-production .22 can to be easy to disassemble when dirty, and also because SilencerCo has become the biggest silencer manufacturer in the meantime. That was something like 6 to 8 years ago, and SilencerCo has been riding the Sparrow’s popularity ever since.

The Sparrow is still a good can, but it has an annoying amount of first-round-pop and it’s not all that quiet on a pistol.

I just got my Griffin Armament Checkmate approved (along with my Silencerco Omega) and I'm happy as can be with it. I really like it's QD function, taking it on and off with just a quarter turn twist. I have both my 10/22 and Mark III threaded and equipped with the QD tri-lug attachment, so I'm swapping the Checkmate btwn those two firearms within seconds.

Well, I think I've (pretty well) settled on the Dead Air Mask. I talked to the people at The Silencer Shop, and they recommended both the Rugged Oculus and the Tactical Solutions Axiom, at least to look at. I also have to say that the guy who answered the phone was very helpful.

.22 suppressors are nasty and that alternating layer of lead and carbon just welds itself to the internals. So ease of cleaning is an important factor because they are cheap and fun to shoot. A lot of designs that "disassemble for cleaning" are more or less welded together after an extended shooting session.

"would there be any reason to not just accept that the Sparrow seems to be the benchmark and order it? Or am I wrong on the benchmark?"

Our trust owns a Sparrow. It's good but has some FRP that I don't care for. It is compact and looks nice on a bull barrel pistol and not obnoxious on a standard barrel 10-22. Calling it a "benchmark" is maybe a bit narrow but it is undeniably capable and effective.

I've decided I'm going with the Dead Air Mask.
1) Fingerprints are done. (Having lots of friends whose names begin with "Deputy" made that part easy.)
2) I'm going with a trust, and The Silencer Shop has their "Single Shot Trust" for ~$25. I could draft it myself, but it's worth $25 to not have to do so.
3) The Silencer Shop has an app for taking passport photos. . . . There's an app for buying a suppressor!!! :eek:
4) Now come the hard parts: (a) paying (ouch) and (b) waiting.

Non-individual specific question. I feel like I am stalking Spats buying decisions by the way.

Generally speaking is there any disadvantage to one of these "single-shot" trusts vs an individual purchase?

Non-individual specific question. I feel like I am stalking Spats buying decisions by the way.

Generally speaking is there any disadvantage to one of these "single-shot" trusts vs an individual purchase?
Let me start with the caveat that other members may know more about NFA law than I do. With that said, I know of no disadvantage to the single-shot trust, but I do know if one advantage: I can amend a trust. If, for some reason, I need to add beneficiaries to the trust, I can do so. Say my brother lives in Arkansas, but all the way across the state. He's trying to decide if he wants a suppressor, so he wants to borrow mine. I can add him to the trust, and he can then take my can home with him (once the amendment is complete).

If I've stated anything wrong, or potentially illegal, I'm asking our more-knowledgeable members to speak up and correct me.

ETA: Don't worry about "stalking" me. I haunt threads relevant to my current situation all the time.

I have to say, though, that I'm really excited about this. My 10/22 has had a threaded barrel for years, and I just bought a 22/45 Lite. I'm absolutely giddy.

Five years!!!???

The wait for the stamp will go fast:D

Welcome to the world of the NFA.

Bad news, this will not be your last stamp...good news, this will not be your last stamp.

I just did some 5320.20’s to change my address. 9 stamps (3SBR’s & 6 cans) in my collection so far.

Find any deals beyond the prices on the site?
Not really, but the folks at Silencer Shop were really helpful on the phone. I mentioned that they also advised me to look at two others that they had on the site. I didn't want to get bogged down in analysis (again), so I decided to just run with Theohazard's advice on the Dead Air Mask. I'd suggest going ahead and looking at the ones they recommended to me.

This thread started in September. It’s now almost May. You still have not bought the silencer? The stamp would have been approved by now. Just pick one and go with it!

This thread started in September. It’s now almost May. You still have not bought the silencer? The stamp would have been approved by now. Just pick one and go with it!
It's worse than that, Machineguntony. This thread was started in September of 2013. :o There was a very long initial delay. Life kept getting in the way of luxury purchases. Anyway, Mrs. McGee said those three magic words last week: "get a suppressor." So I bought the Dead Air Mask. I didn't dilly-dally this time.

I just saw this thread. I’m excited for you. I just set up a trust and purchased a suppressor through the Silencer Shop. They are professional and knowledgeable folks who made it all very convenient with the kiosk etc. I went with the Obsidian 45 made by Rugged Suppressors. It’s going to be a long Christmas Eve for both if us, if you know what I mean.

I just saw this thread. I’m excited for you. I just set up a trust and purchased a suppressor through the Silencer Shop. They are professional and knowledgeable folks who made it all very convenient with the kiosk etc. I went with the Obsidian 45 made by Rugged Suppressors. It’s going to be a long Christmas Eve for both if us, if you know what I mean.
Frankly, I was astounded that they have an app for buying a suppressor. There's an app for that! :eek: I agree on the folks at SS, though. So far they've been great to work with.

Congratulations & enjoy that Obsidian when it finally arrives.

Back