Considering bullet weight change in 223.

Should I change it up?

• Keep on going with the 55s, they are fine

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Switch over to 62s

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Go all in in the 75s and possibly shoot less

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, i feel like the last year or so most of what i have been doing is load development. But i have done a lot of learning, really upped my game, and enjoyed it. But im definitely starting to feel ready to be done working up loads, and do more shooting.

I have 55s worked up, but i need to tweak my load based on the new techniques i learned, but i can do that in 1 range trip. 75s need 1 more range trip to be done. I also ordered some 62s to play with, just 100. I should be able to work a load up and test with 100.

Part if it, is i want to select something good, and be done with working up. But i dont want to just grab something and be second guessing or regretting my choice the next couple years.

I know how to shoot, and i enjoy making small groups at longer distances(for the cartridge) but my main focus is training and drills in the 25 to 75yd range and maintaining my skills. And i would tune the 75s to my gun. Along with drop tables

With thats ssid 55 and 62 are neck and neck price wise. And doing 55/62 would let me shoot roughly 300 extra rounds a year for the price of the 75s.
Thanks for making my point. It is popular nowadays to think shooting is sitting at a bench, sandbagged up and putting little holes in distant targets. And that is one tiny part of "shooting".

But there is more, much more to shooting. For example, I watched a YT video of Jerry M shoot multiple steel targets, at 400yds, against a timer, offhand. That is some kind of shooting for a 63yr old.

Last edited:
Thanks for making my point. It is popular nowadays to think shooting is sitting at a bench, sandbagged up and putting little holes in distant targets. And that is one tiny part of "shooting".

But there is more, much more to shooting. For example, I watched a YT video of Jerry M shoot multiple steel targets, at 400yds, against a timer, offhand. That is some kind of shooting for a 63yr old.

You only make your point if you take my words out of context. Read what i wrote.
There are many disciplines in shooting, such as benchrest, bullseye, 3 gun, and many more. Some of which are entirely focused on shooting small groups from benches. Some of which is focused on speed and target engagement.

I do enjoy shooting small groups at distance. I feel that it helps me focus on my technique and fundamentals because small mistakes translate to bigger groups.

But as i said, my main focus is on practical drills
. I try and work off of whatever shooting positions are in my environment, as well as unsupported and ones i am not familiar and or comfortable with.

Jerry is an amazing shooter and so is his daughter. I use 2 of her practical low round cound drills regularly and highly reccomended both.

Lena Miculec's drills

Rifle, 60rnds
https://youtu.be/A8NkLvJff2w

Pistol, 50rnds
https://youtu.be/F8MvKIiXC2M

Last edited:
So Jerry, the amazing shooter, uses 55gr for his 400yd offhand shooting. Why then do you worry about BC for your 75yd drills? I'm not understanding.

55gr bullet hitting a steel target doesn't make loud enough "ding!" sound, and it took me a while to learn to pick it up 100yd away. Can't tell for sure by looking at the target as it barely swings. Heavier bullets work better in that regard as it has more energy.

However, anything other than 55gr costs significantly more, heavier or lighter. I stay with 55gr and save the other bullets for special occasions, unless I come across better prices.

55gr costs slightly more than $0.1 a round. 62gr is close to $0.2.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I like the Hornady 75’s. They shoot well. That said, they are a bit slow in my 20”. I wonder if 68’s would be a better choice. If you are shooting longer range, I think you want to be 3000fps or better.

So Jerry, the amazing shooter, uses 55gr for his 400yd offhand shooting. Why then do you worry about BC for your 75yd drills? I'm not understanding.
I have a membership at a range that goes out to 500yds, but due to it being a 2hr drive i am only able to go a few times a year. And i usually get out to a good friends yearly and we can shoot out to 800 across a field.

I like the Hornady 75’s. They shoot well. That said, they are a bit slow in my 20”. I wonder if 68’s would be a better choice. If you are shooting longer range, I think you want to be 3000fps or better.
Im getting 2650 out of my 16in barrel. They should stay supersonic out to 850yds if the ballistic calculator is correct.

55gr bullet hitting a steel target doesn't make loud enough "ding!" sound, and it took me a while to learn to pick it up 100yd away. Can't tell for sure by looking at the target as it barely swings. Heavier bullets work better in that regard as it has more energy.

However, anything other than 55gr costs significantly more, heavier or lighter. I stay with 55gr and save the other bullets for special occasions, unless I come across better prices.

55gr costs slightly more than $0.1 a round. 62gr is close to $0.2.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Midway has the hornady 62g fmj boat tale for 12 cents per bullet. The hornady 55g fmj boat tail is 11 cents per bullet. However the 62g uses less powder and saves 1 cent per round making them a toss up.

Midway
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165353472

That's good price. Thanks.

Doesn't that suck that the new normal has us thinking that's a good price . I got gas the other day because it was a good price $5.45 a gallon down from $6.25 of course a year ago I was paying $3.50 a gallon . Just like I was paying $70 per 1k 55gr FMJ-BT a couple years ago . Now almost double is not a bad price . At least they're not quadruple the price like primers are .

Doesn't that suck that the new normal has us thinking that's a good price . I got gas the other day because it was a good price $5.45 a gallon down from $6.25 of course a year ago I was paying $3.50 a gallon . Just like I was paying $70 per 1k 55gr FMJ-BT a couple years ago . Now almost double is not a bad price . At least they're not quadruple the price like primers are .
Somone here once told me, these are the good ol days, get them while they last.

The idea being things are always changing, and things generally always get more expensive. So while it seems high now, it may be a great deal just a little ways down the road. Buy what you need, stack it as deep as you can.

The 75gr hornady bthp is my favorite 223 bullet. You can buy in bulk to save a little money. I have used them for hunting, plinking and competition. I know they are a "match" bullet but they perform well on game and hornday seems to think its a pretty good self defense bullet as well adn load it in their tap line.

Back