Condition 3 and revolver precautions

Carrying concealed is so last week. But in my case, I find I need two hands just to draw from serious concealment. With one hand, it is possible but not at all fast. However, let us go back to the original post.

A Glock, you say? Well, that is not such an awful choice but there is no middle ground with a Glock. I did find that the Glock I owned, a Model 19, was just about the easiest automatic with which to chamber a round. It was also the easiest to make go bang, too. I also read your comment about situational awareness but I feel sure there are lots of perfect people here, although I will quickly add that I am not one of them.

@ AK103K

I think there is no rationale!! That is the problem!! Similarly, I can't own hollow points, and have to keep weapons in a safe!! However, the last two may be up for review.
I can sort of imagine the "we can't reduce the risk of NDs with revolvers, but we can with Semis, so let's at least do that" logic that must have gone through some politico's head but from an SD point of view it is not so useful.

The trigger pull on DA/SAs is enough o reduce NDs IMO, so why they can't have a condition 1 ruling on DA/SA semis is a mystery...
If they did, I might have held out for a Sig, or bought that Jericho 941.

@fiddletown

I live in Estonia, hence why you probably hadn't heard of that law.

@ no one in particular.

One pro point of view that I can think of:
People have said that having an empty chamber in a semi or revolver would cost you valuable time in an SD situation. However, if someone took your gun, that is exactly the valuable time afforded to you to try and retrieve it or run your socks off.
In fact probably more as you at least would know what needed to be done if you drew, the gun nabber would not.
You could even train to snap one off on a revolver as you drew having the first loaded cylinder by the time you had sights on. A bit risky, perhaps, in case you messed up your cylinder order, but possible.:eek:

People also say that SA is the key to keeping your gun, yet often people say that shootings occur with feet to spare, not yards!!

If SA isn't always good enough to spot an attack before it is upon you, then it isn't always good enough to spot when someone is going to take your gun before it is happening!

if you had an older revolver with no transfer bar safety and it was sa/da then yeah i would carry one empty under the hammer but keep all other chambers loaded. now seeing as pretty much all revolvers today have a transfer bar safety then no i would keep all 5-6-7 chambers loaded. and as for semi auto i would always want a +1 semi auto for self defense. but thats just my opinion.

Hello Mr. Pond,,,

Way back when you were deciding on whether to get a revolver or the Glock,,,
The law requiring condition 3 in a semi would definitely have pushed me to the revolver.

I'm curious,,,
Did you know of that law back then?

I'm too lazy to search through all the posts. :o

Aarond

I think that this strategy relies on assumptions about the mindset of the shooter that can't be counted on. While some people may stop and consider why the shot didn't go off, I expect that most would react instead by pulling the trigger again. That's what I'd do, it's probably what most novices would do as well.

So intead of ... CLICK- HMMM? , it's CLICK-ACK!-BOOMBOOMBOOM

Pond said:
...I live in Estonia, hence why you probably hadn't heard of that law...
That explains it.

Pond said:
...I ...have to keep weapons in a safe!..
But you can carry your gun outside the home? I ask because a gun grab tends to be an issue only when carrying a gun. If you have access to your gun only for home defense, your gun will be in your hand if you perceive a threat. And if you're concerned about the gun being taken from you when it's in your hand, there are some more significant tactical issues to be concerned with.

If you do carry, then a revolver might be a better choice. Needing two hands to put the gun to use can be a major problem (see post 12).

In response to Casimer:

One advantage to the lack of second strike capability that many complain about re: Glock, M&P, etc is that one does not waste time pulling the trigger a second time on an empty chamber - it is not an option.

Personally, I think second strike is not a good idea. It will only help for limited types of stoppages; I prefer to go directly into stoppage clearing mode.

If I had to carry in condition 3, I would put extra training time into learning to cycle the slide using only one hand - with each hand.

@ Aarondgraham

Yes, I've known about that law all along, and I was leaning towards revolvers on the practical front, but the problem was the absolutely ridiculous retail prices on wheelguns. I could get an HK for the price of a Taurus revolver over here. I got the Glock first for that reason. A decent gun at the right price. The Redhawk came up later and was far too good a deal to pass up.

@ fiddletown

I can carry outside the home, but at the moment I don't and I don't yet know if I will, with the exception of forest camping with my dogs...

@ Mleake

Re racking one handed, I'm planning to do that.
The place is a building site right now so everytime I want to get the gun out I have to move a ton of stuff, so spontaneous training sessions have to be planned hours in advance!!:rolleyes:

Back