Concealed Cary for the Chubby

Jimboh247

As a guy that has a gut, I'm trying to find the best place to conceal carry my SR9C without carrying up front. The belly gets in the way!

Where do those who have a belly carry? (3 o'clock, 6 o'clock?)

What holster do you use?

I'm working on losing the spare tire, but in the mean time, I'd like to find something that will work without resorting to a shoulder holster.

I am 300 lbs and I carry a Kimber CDP Ultra II. I use a Galco King Tuck IWB holster, an Old Faithful Holster which is almost identical to the Galco (I like the Old faithful Holster better) and I also use a Blackhawk Pocket holster and use it in the right front jeans pocket (the smaller pocket) The pocket holster has a rubber-like band around it to retain the holster when you draw the gun. I carry the gun in the 3:30 position in the IWB holsters.

Choices....

As a "customer of size"(a US airline term for chunky monkey :D), I can understand your issues.
Your choices for packing a Ruger SR model would be a Sticky Holster pocket rig; www.StickyHolsters.com .
Another idea is the Check-06 belt holster from Blackhawk. If you are right handed, that leather holster might be in stock for Ruger SR models.
www.Blackhawk.com
This angled holster fits off the side but isn't quite a SoB/MoB type(which Id avoid for safety-security reasons). Many view the SoBs as unsafe because you can slip or be knocked over, right onto your metal firearm :eek:. A lower back injury or spine issue isn't worth it with these rigs.

Another idea is buying a few 5.11, Woolrich or other brand concealment shirts.
You can slip a small pistol into the pocket/slot & have quick access with either hand. The 5.11 active wear undershirt is well made. I think it comes in 3XL & 4XL too but Id look at the main site.
Your cell phone, wallet, spare magazine or knife on the opposite side can help balance out the system if you choose to carry a SR pistol in a upper chest pocket. I've done it with smaller guns & it's not bad.

See; www.glockstore.com www.policehq.com www.5.11tactical.com www.blackhawk.com .

Another member of that particular club here.

I frequently cc a Glock 19 using a Galco OWB leather holster. As much as I hate the name of it, I think it's the Combat Master. For a belt, I use either an Aker B21 or a DeSantis Econobelt. I just purchased the DeSantis because I couldn't resist the clearance price, but I like it so far. I carry at 3 or 3:30, and frequently wear a sportcoat. As a 40+ year old lawyer, the sportcoat works very well for me. (Everyone already expects me to be in a jacket most of the time). Your wardrobe may or may not allow for a sportcoat. If not, there are plenty of other suitable cover garments.

I will also add that I just got a pair of 5.11 Covert Cargo pants, and for fun, I slipped my G19 into the pocket. Yes, it fit. If a G19 will go in there, so will an SR9c. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it's possible.

I am 6"1" and 250 lbs, so yeah, I have a belly going.

I carry at the 4 o'clock position in an IWB holster (Crossbreed Supertuck). I carry a compact semi-auto in it, and have never had a problem with the belly getting in the way or it being uncomfortable. Now, my weight is pretty evenly spaced out as I am just a big, broad guy to begin with so I don't have a true "spare tire", but it works for me.

My one recommendation for a bigger guy (even more important than the holster) is a good GUN belt. Not just any thick leather belt, but a belt specifically designed to carry the extra weight of a gun. For a couple years I just used a rather rigid 1 1/2" leather belt and thought it did not matter. In truth, I just got used to the belt lacking after doing it for so long. After going to a true gun belt, I have never looked back and will never go back to a regular belt.

I am 6'3" and 240 lbs, with a bit of a belly. I have found, through lots of experimentation, that the only two comfortable places for carry for me are 3 o'clock and about 9 o'clock. So, I carry in both positions, alternately.... and train from both positions.

As for how I carry, I most often use a JIT slide type belt holster, with zero cant.

IWB is simply not comfortable for me at all, nor is any position behind the hip. Obviously, each individual is different... and must find what works for him/her.

Last edited:
Carry methods....

I have always had wide hips even as a teen & in my 20s.
I can carry a sidearm in a belt rig or behind my left hip(I'm left handed) with no problems. I prefer the cross-draw holster method too for extended periods when Im seated or driving(in & out of vehicles all day). That's more of a comfort factor then a tactical issue.
I used to carry my Beretta 96D .40 in a Aker Comfort Flex shoulder holster. I was thinner & had a smaller chest. If I was the same size now, Id get a new shoulder rig but only use it on limited conditions.
I don't really have comfort or access problems with most belt holsters like the a Blackhawk SERPA or Blade-tech.
Inside vehicles can be confined but I normally transfer my gun to a 5.11 PuSH bag. I keep a few extra mags, OC spray, handcuffs, etc there too. :cool:

I have a 5" 1911 in a Ross Leather Model 18 and a 4" in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2. Either ride on a Cabela's Double Duty II belt ($20 on sale, superior to a couple of $80+ "gun" belts.) Both guns carry at about 3:30.

250 pounds... Is that even possible to have a spare tire at that weight haha?! I'd love to see 250 again lol. Anyway I'm 6'4 300 pounds with a decent belly and very broad shoulders. Here's what I've found comfortable so far.

Xd40 4 inch in a crossbreed super tuck about 3:30. I also have a lot of forward cant on the gun. I always had problems with the end of the grip printing bad and a cant solved most of it.

My new favorite this year is a 2 inch barreled taurus 851. I wear a desantis owb belt slide holster again about 3:30 ish. The funny thing is that holster is made for the xd! It doesn't fit worth a crap for it but it fits the taurus perfect!! Owb is nice and comfy but for times I need iwb I've found an 18 dollar bianchi iwb holster pretty good.

My biggest problem is most of my shirts are on the tighter side. 2xl is tighter but fits good. 3xl is way to big. I hate buying shirts!! Very rarely do I find something that fits perfect. A vest,jacket, button up etc all fix the tighter shirt problems But sadly I don't own many button ups.

It's a never ending quest to find the perfect setup. I just keep mixing and matching until I find something I like.

My biggest problem is most of my shirts are on the tighter side. 2xl is tighter but fits good. 3xl is way to big. I hate buying shirts!! Very rarely do I find something that fits perfect. A vest,jacket, button up etc all fix the tighter shirt problems But sadly I don't own many button ups.

I have the same problem with very broad shoulders. XLs fit me in the chest and gut, but the shoulder seems are up an inch towards my neck from where they should be, which also results in the sleeves being shorter than they should.

You said you are 6'4", have you ever tried a 2XLT (2 XL Tall)?

Even in polo shirts (since you said you do not wear many button downs), this has helped me immensely. The shoulders are cut slightly wider to give extra sleeve length, and the real benefit is the shirt is cut about 1 1/2 - 2" longer at the bottom which is very nice if you are wearing untucked while carrying. I wear polo shirt or button downs to work most days, and switching to XLT shirts has been a blessing.

Jay24- that's great advice there. I do have a couple polos in 2xlt and some just 2x. Ill agree polos do fit the best for me and if I can that's what I'll wear. Sometimes tho I just like being in a T-shirt. I need to find a good store around my area that sells big and tall stuff. I hate buying online because you never know if its gonna fit right. At least in a store you can try it on. Pants are horrible to shop for to. Apparently companies think people don't require a 34" inseam!! There's gotta be more people out there than a few that are say over 6'2.

I'm just the opposite, Sureshot. I prefer to shop online.
It was several years ago, and I was a good 100 lbs lighter, but still 5'5" and 250 lbs was 'big'. Was shopping for a suit, and the saleswoman told me "oh we need to go to this section that has better sizing for you: Portly!"

I don't mind being called fat or overweight, cause thats what I am. Its never insulted me for someone to call me names that accurately describe me. But I was not pleased with 'portly'. :mad:

So now I find a lot of clothing online where no one but the person packing up my shipment can judge me! :D

Layers are best for me. I typically wear a short sleeve polo that is generally long enough but over that I'll wear a coat during cold months and a long sleeve button down during warmer months. Surprisingly I have found some of the better long sleeve shirts at a local thrift store.

veamon,
Does the versacarry stick you in the side any?
Do you wear an undershirt to keep it from rubbing on you?

Thanks,

No, it's pretty minimal. The majority of the holster is between my pants and underwear, sometimes the handle can rub but my undershirt takes care of that.

With a midsection somewhere between the Michelin Man, and the Pilsbury Doughboy I find carry at 4 O'Clock IWB in a Theis Hybrid comfortable. With eather a KAHR CM9, or even the wider, double stack Springfield XD40 Subcompact.

Guilty as charged. I'm a large fellow too. I carry most of my guns in a kyrodex rig in 4 o'clock. Foxx makes pretty good ones at a great price. I mostly carry a KAHR CW45, and it is hardly noticeable as far as comfort goes. Ankle works well too, but then there is the accessibility issue. Belly or "appendix" is out of the question with this man keg!

Well, at 6'1" and 275 I qualify for Team O (that's team overweight, for the uninitiated). I used to carry my Glock 32 in a Galco Tuck at the 230 to 3 o'clock position. The only problem I found is that IWB made my pants tight and uncomfortable and occasionally drug them down even with the best belts. I've since switched to wearing it mostly it in a horizontal shoulder holster under my left arm. I wear a lot of Columbia PFG type shirts in the spring and summer and button ups in the winter so I find it easy to get to and easy to conceal. YMMV.

A second on the Milt Sparks Summer Special. Even bought a couple of Sparks belts. One for dress the other for leisure ware (Blue Jeans). All Milt Sparks items are of Superior quality. BTW I'm 6-something 270.

Back