Concealed Carry

B-Deck

Inactive
Is there anyone who carries in athletic shorts/basketball shorts? Is it reasonable? Or not? If so any holster recommendations or tips?

Carrying in Shorts

I wear Cabela's 7 pocket Hiking Shorts. Easily conceals a Kel-Tec PF-9 in a Galco horsehide pocket holster. I'm sure any of the other, thin, small 9's, Ruger, Beretta, Kahr would fit just as well. Undetectable and always there.

I've never used one, but have always been curious about the "belly band" holsters. Elastic waist shorts like basketball shorts just don't have any way of holding weight. If you don't mind a fanny pack I guess that would work. Many just scream "I've got a gun in here" - why else would someone wear one?

I haven't tried it, but I don't think I'd want to carry any handgun in my basketball shorts' pocket. At least if I was playing basketball. I can imagine the thing banging the heck out of me as I ran up and down the court.

I would look for some kind of belly band style holster, or maybe that underwear holster, I guess, but it would have to cinch up pretty tight if I was going to be running and jumping around. Which is probably why I don't carry while playing sports.

Couple of products you might want to look at...

1) www.pistol-wear.com has a nice, super-padded belly band that's designed for athletic use. It's neoprene based with a fairly deep pocket, so no uncomfortable edges digging into your skin. Downside: hot. Upside: very discreet.

2) Elite Survival Systems has a very nice marathoner's pack designed to carry a small, lightweight firearm. It's at http://www.elitesurvival.com/concealment-bags-packs/marathon-gunpack/ Downside: Did I mention it's for a small firearm?

pax

Something like an LCP. Or P3AT or P32 that had one of those clips on it should clip to your waistband with no problem.

I carry a Sig P938 in a desantis belly band when I run in athletic shorts. My only complaint is that sweat soaks right through the nylon material. So I just wipe it down and oil it regularly. actually wear it low around my waist and find it very comfortable. I've also heard good things about the crossbreed belly band.

If you're in sports shorts, it's hard to hide anything. You certainly need to have some multi pocketed shorts in heaver fabric for concealment.

I think that could be the perfect use for the belly band type of holster. I've never tried one, mainly because for me it would have to be a belly orchestra. But for the right body type it could be the aswer to deep concealment.

The OP asked:
Is there anyone who carries in athletic shorts/basketball shorts?
And he asked for recommendations for carrying when wearing such shorts. That pretty much eliminates multi-pocket or "cargo" shorts. Cargo shorts may be fine for carry but aren't great for jogging a mile or two with a handgun in a pocket.

A few more pounds and my LCP may be concealed by my orchestra pit.;)

Oh, and I do have a SmartCarry and I think it is amazing.

Last edited:
I wonder if there might just be a market out there for TACTICOOL SPEEDO'S. In Desert camo, tiger stripe, sand, OD, With a inside front extra mag pouch.

Back