Concealed carry while driving, some questions

I think it's a good idea to let the officer know you are carrying and have the permit to do so, regardless of whether it's a requirement or not.

Three times I have informed I was carrying and had a permit. Every time they were polite and one officer thanked me.

David

You had it right and then you sunk deeper and deeper into the "no" lol.

Appendix is the best possible way to carry your firearm when driving. Or in general these days. It's like a modern method that we've noticed has improved speed and defensive retention. And in some cases, doesn't hinder maneuverability. (Bending down to pick up things for one)

The seat belt should be against your belt as your holster's belt loops are. You simply lift the shirt and present your firearm. From this, you can remove the seatbelt with your left hand and proceed to exit the vehicle if need be. Usually, you don't have to. Car > Gun. But we're speaking of a worst-case scenario.

Source: Classes. Everyone teaches something different and everyone thinks that what they teach is gospel. So naturally, you'll go with how you trained. As I'm passing this information onto you. My particular training is from the appendix position in a vehicle and from 3 o'clock. We tried the other methods and it was done in a way that deterred us from ever wanting to use them in real-world applications. Such as ankle or small of back.

Solution: Take a class and train for it. If it smells funny, try another class with an instructor who teaches differently. Not everyone can appendix carry because of weight issues and such. And not everyone can draw their pistol out from behind them for the same reasons. This does not mean getting one of those silly magnets or leaving your gun loose while you drive. Never do that! If you must glove box or center console it, just remember its there. That is the least ideal place to have your gun with you in a vehicle.

So try some classes out. :)

Hope this helps and didn't trigger anyone. We're all friends here.

There are over 800,000 police in this country who carry 3oclock and 9 oclock. I don't think any of them are doing any handwringing over their carry position. You train you plan and you practice.. its never going to be perfect.

This. We spend countless time discussing what gun, what position, what holster. Meanwhile professionals take their issued gear, train with it, and go on about the day.

We already have the muscle memory to unbuckle our seat belts, and smooth is fast.
There aren't many imagined scenarios where it would be necessary to remain buckled in while shooting.
Simple. Unbuckle before drawing. Maybe even stop the car, unless escaping by driving is the solution.

Appendix is the best possible way to carry your firearm when driving

In your opinion......I'm sure everyone here thinks their way is the best way. The original poster should try a couple of methods and make up his own mind. In time, even that decision may change for some other method.

What is the original poster's opinion on this? We've certainly beaten it to death. :p

Back