Concealed Carry in Church: Do / Did / Will you?

POLL: Concealed Carry in Church: Do / Did / Will you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TXAZ

CLARIFICATION: If you attend worship services...

A lot of friends in Texas are reconsidering Concealed carry in their place of worship here in Texas after the tragedy in South Texas.

What's the sentiment across the country?

One recent pronouncement from the United Methodist Church was to restrict Open carry but not address (tacitly not restrict) Concealed carry.

What say you for you legal CHL /LTC / CWP holders?

Last edited:
You forgot one option-- I don't go to church. :D

Seriously, I think it's beyond sad that we're even having to think about carrying in church. I don't get to church very often, but I have to say that I probably wouldn't go now without taking my gun with me.

I haven't been a regular at church for some time now, but I still go around Thanksgiving, Christmas and several other holidays, so maybe a dozen times a year. I didn't carry to church until after the Charleston church shooting (Dylann Roof), because our pastor asked the congregation to "please leave our guns outside." So i left mine in the truck during services.

However, after the Roof incident I began bringing my EDC into church. Interestingly, I was told by a friend today that the pastor wants to speak with some of us that he knows are regular CCW carriers about security during services. Out of curiosity I plan to show up to the meeting.

I've not been to church in at least 2 years but I wouldn't go to church unarmed now.

I have never carried in a church, temple, religious event or setting. All that has changed now.

I have always carried any time it is legal to do so.

I can't see spending all the time/training/effort/money required to carry a handgun and then risking not having it the one time it is truly needed.

I have carried concealed at church for some twenty years. Not that I expected to need a gun at church but carrying is a way of daily life.

I never understood why church is any different than anywhere else. It's not disrespectful to carry in the house of God. And I say this as a Christian. God is with you everywhere, not just in church.

Carry all day every day no matter where I am. Concealed means concealed. If you're doing it right nobody should ever know.

I believe that CC in TX churches is illegal, at least for now. It used to be here in GA, but several years ago the law was changed giving each individual church the option to decide. If one church decides not to allow it, then it would be illegal in that church. If another decides it is OK, then it is legal in that church. I don't attend regularly, but we CAN CC. if we wish.

Correct. Unless a TX church is posted 30.06 and/or 30.07, carry is legal in TX churches.

However, the law is written in a confusing manner. Rather than remove the prohibition against church carry, they simply added another clause several paragraphs down stating that the prohibition only applies if the license holder is given notice under 30.06/30.07.

My Priest knows that my wife and I carry (he shoots skeet with us on our farm) and I know 7 others in our congregation that carry. We've had coffee after Mass a few times to discuss such a situation.

I’m not an active church goer, but my wife and kids go fairly regularly. I go with occasionally for Holliday’s, or when my kids have parts in the little programs they put on.

I’ve carried when I go to church since I got my permit. I carry everywhere else I go, I see no reason not to carry at church, or anywhere it’s legal. Just had parent-teacher conference for two of my kids, I carry (legally) in their schools as well.

I don't go to church, if I did yes I'd carry and just for the hell of it I'd wear a vest with lvl III plates in the front and back over my Sunday Best to really let it sink in to everyone else what a messed up world we live in.

Crankylove said:
I’ve carried when I go to church since I got my permit. I carry everywhere else I go, I see no reason not to carry at church, or anywhere it’s legal. Just had parent-teacher conference for two of my kids, I carry (legally) in their schools as well.
How is it legal to carry in a school? I thought carry in schools was illegal under federal law.

I always have and always will.

But people seem to get 'weirded' out more by carrying in church than anywhere else. I never understood it, but I see a lot of churches (pre Texas Shooting) who use armed security guards. Especially around Children's Service areas.

My pastor approached me last week, after the Texas shooting, and I replied that I carry everywhere it is legal, including church. I have had a personal plan for a shooter at church, but the pastor is now developing one and contacting others who are licensed for concealed carry to organize, and to get some training and assessment from local law enforcement agencies. The conversation also gave me an opportunity to discuss some concerns I have with the layout and construction of the building, and he was receptive. So many people are reactive rather than proactive.

If you CCW, carry everywhere except for courthouses or airports, places that both restrict and check for.

As for the specific location of a church, seated with your back to the door and all your attention focused in front, I hope you get the chance.

I carry everywhere unless it is illegal to do so.

There are very few places around here that is illegal for me to do so.

Back