Concealed Carry Comparison

I got a 642 for my wife, and I find the grip very comfortable. I'm 6' and 220lbs with large hands. The rubber grip is nice. For a comparison, I found the grip on the 642 much better than a Sig P245. Best of luck in your class. If possible find a class that includes the video simulation exercises.

I looked at the Taurus model 85 and found the trigger to be horrible. The smith was smooth as butter in comparison. Both were used.

I am a strong advocate of the 649 Bogyguard series. You can still thumb-cock it if you have the time. Yet the almost completely shrouded hammer makes carry, and draw, from the pocket much easier. No matter what holster you get, someday your going to be tempted to put your weapon inside a pocket of some sort. These types of revolvers are also superior for shooting from inside the pocket, since there is no slide to cycle or exposed hammer to catch on clothing material. This, of course, is an extremely desperate tactic, but it's a more practical option with these types of weapons than any other.

Lots of good advice here. I am with the
S&W 442/642/Bodyguard/Taurus 85UL people.
It's now up to you to figure out what will
work best for you. I am with the light weight
revolver people because I would be much more
likely to carry one of those in all manner of dress
than an all steel revolver. I would prefer the all
steel under most circumstances except for carry, just
wouldn't work for me. I would end up leaving it behind
most of the time.

rig

With the right rig, it is a matter of preference. I carry a number of different guns depending on clothing worn that day. Summer and t- shirts require a different rig and gun than winter and sweatshirts.

The 49,649,640 are really nice for carry day in and day out.
940 is a 640 in 9mm.

Concealed carry comparison

I come from a time when light weight guns were not much in favor. Back then the consensus was that light weight guns were harder to handle and were not recommended for use with hotter loads because they would eventually shoot themselves loose. The model 36 and 49 (Which was the hammerless model of the day.) were all steel snubbies which weighed a bit more but were easier to shoot with the extra weight and could digest a regular diet of the hotter loads with no ill effects. As for concealability, a snubby is harder to conceal that a gun with a longer barrel by virtue of the fact that the longer barrel helps to keep the handle of the gun pushed in closer to the body. I carried a model 10 with a 4" barrel in a Chick Gaylord speed scabbard and it was very comfortable and concealed well. It had a better sight radius and was comfortable to shoot with the hotter loads of the day. (Considerably less recoil.) Course I'm a 6 footer who weighed in at 220 at that time. I guess that for someone with a slighter build it might change the rules somewhat. But generally speaking, I'd have to say that my vote goes with the steel guns and I don't think that a 3 or 4" barrel is any hard to conceal as long as you pick the right leather for the job. That's just my 2 cents worth on the subject.

Back