Concealed Carry Comparison

Civilian

I will be taking a concealed carry class in Feruary, and I would like some advise on a concealed carry revolver. Here are my choices:
1. SP101 - feels good, but is slightly heavier than the rest. is it harder to conceal? 25 oz
2. 649 - shrouded hammer is nice. 23 oz
3. 638 - Does the smaller grip make much difference in concealability on a 6'1" - 210lb man? Is it more difficult to hold a pistol with boot grips firing .38 special ammo? 15 oz.
4. 442/642 - Same questions as 638. 15 oz.
5. Taurus 85 - Inexpensive, is it reliable?
5. Is there a perceptable difference between a 15 oz revolver and a 23-25 oz revolver?
6. I own a 4" GP100, how concealable is this? I have not bought a holster yet - so I do not know. I would guess it is not very concealable.
7. If I go with a non-shrouded/enclosed/hammerless revolver, will I have problems with the hammer spur?
8. With only 5 shots, I might eventually get 2 of the same make and model (doubt I will ever need even 1, but......), do any of you carry 2 concealed revolvers?

I find that there is an ENORMOUS difference between a 15-ounce and a 25/30 ounce gun. It becomes more and more apparent the longer you carry it.

I carry an S&W Airweight, model 042 (related to the 442). It IS a handful to hold on to when shooting it with the boot grips, especially when using CCW-type ammo. I swapped it out for a full-size set of Hogues. Much easier to control, but not much harder to conceal.

I often carry a 4" Model 19 S&W in a shoulder holster. I'm pretty bulky, so it's not too bad to conceal.

The 2.5" Model 19 conceal a LOT more readily in a shoulder holster, though.

Everything is a compromise. I have a S&W model 642. I'm 5' 9" and 160 lbs. I can easily conceal it in my front pocket. What I can't do is easily shoot it accurately. The sights are minimal. The site radius is short. And the darn thing really hurts to shoot with 158 gr semi-wadcutters, whether plus p or not. 15 rounds and I'm done. You really need to practice a lot to be accurate with a snubbie like this, but for me it just hurts too much to practice much with the 642.

I'd much rather shoot a 25 or 30 oz. gun. I'd much carry a 15 oz. gun. YMMV.

M1911

My thoughts, FWIW:

1. Go with the shrouded/concealed hammer.

2. Go with a stainless model/alloy/titanium model in humid climate or for pocket carry.

3. J-frames or the Taurus 85's probably afford the greatest selection of comfortable carry options (IWB, clip, pocket, belt holster, belly band, etc.)

My wife has an SP101 and I have a S&W 642. Hers is definitely too heavy for pocket carry, but my alloy framed 642 is quite comfortable wherever I carry it.

On the other hand, hers is much easier to shoot (she is rather small and uses +P .38's, rather than .357 loads). As Mike says, those several ounces make a huge difference. The alloy frames and titanium wonders are a handful with +p loads, but not unmanageable. I used to have a S&W 342PD, which was just too uncomfortable to shoot, but I like my 642, even with +P's.

I wrestled with the Taurus 85 titanium bobbed hammer vs. the 642. The Taurus was more comfortable in my big hands, but there are lots of aftermarket grip options for the J frames. I also prefer a shrouded over a concealed hammer for pocket carry.

Reliablity of the newer Taurus models, esp. the titanium 85, seems to be good, though you will find exceptions with all makes. Gun Tests had good things to say about the Taurus 85ULT with concealed hammer (also called Police model, I believe), but I was initially somewhat leery of ports on what is likely to be an up-close-and personal gun.

If I can't carry one of my bigger autos I'm likely to have my 642 and my Kel Tec p32, but I am seriously considering a Taurus 85ULT concealed hammer model for dual revolver carry (I really like them, and the 642 was REALLY close call over the Taurus).

I use the Centennials for my small revolvers . I have a pair of 642's and a 640 . I carry the 642 more than any other gun , especially in the summer . In the 642 I shoot 125 grain Nyclads [standard pressure] and have no problems . Any pocket gun in a serious caliber is going to have some recoil . I would only look at concealed hammer weapons if you want it for pocket carry . I think there is a big difference in pocket carrying comfort of an airweight and a steel version of the same gun . Good luck , Mike...

As Mike Irwin said...

BIG difference between carrying alloy and steel pocket revolvers. If you buy the steel, you will soon wish you had the lightweight alloy or titanium version.

Best compromise: Buy steel version for practice; alloy for carry. Or you can just suck it up and shoot the alloy. I mean, after all, it's only a bruise on your second finger, not a matter of life and death.

Oh yeah. Hammerless is better. HTH :)

Try a Smith & Wesson (pre-agreement) old model 60, in .38 Special.:) First ever all stainless steel handgun to hit
the market; way back in 1965!!!:D I would change the round
butt service grips to a more comfortable set of "boot grips", for shooting purposes.:eek:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

If the difference in weight between an all-steel and an airweight revolver is a problem, chances are you could find a better way to carry it. Seriously, a good holster and belt can make the weight disappear.

best advise is to rent or borrow before you buy.

light is great to carry. can be a mess to shoot accurately.

i carried a nickle plated S&W Centennial Airweight with Spegal boot grips in a Kramer pocket holster loaded with 125 grain Nyclads for a couple of years. very comfortable!! many people said i was "under-gunned."
late one night a young guy tried to rob/carjack me in a parking lot of the local Sports Authority store. the way he ran when i drew down on him i don't think he was questioning the size of my gun or the round it was chambered in.

I carry a DAO SP101 everyday, and while it's heavier than some other options, I find that it isn't unmanageable with the right holster. I use a Galco pocket holster in the winter months and the whole thing disappears in the front pocket without printing. In warmer weather I use a Galco fanny pack. Having a qualtiy rig to manage the wieght of your weapon is essential.

I like the SP101's weight when it comes time to shoot. As observed above, you have to practice with a snub gun to hit well and the SP101 doesn't punish you during practice time.

The weight of the SP101 is not noticeable when you carry the gun in a good IWB or OWB holster.

I prefered the SP101 to the 642 due to the fact that I actually shot the gun on a weekly basis. The SP101 is very robust. Its a joy to shoot with 158gr. +P LSWCHP .38's and medium velocity 125gr. .357 magnum's.

I think that carrying a gun that you don't want to practice with is a very unwise decision.

I can carry a glock 33, or a taurus ti 44 spcl in my pocket. Getting the right clothes is the secret.

I also carry a taurus model 85 ul TI, or keltec p32 in pants with smaller pockets.

I've got a 642, am still trying to figure out what works best for me as far as totin' the thing around goes...

As for shootin', I get along fine with the stock rubber boot grips. Shoot 125 grain reloads or 130 grain factory ammo for practice. After about 100 rounds, hand gets a little sore, I think someone has mentioned using one of the shooting gloves for practice with an airweight. Might pick one of those up and give it a try....

Anyway, the airweight can be managed, practice is the key..

Mike M.

depending on what you can afford and how many guns you want, i think bigg has the right idea. get the steel frame version to get used to the gun and then transition to the alloy. if you have to shoot your gun you will never notice the difference in recoil because your muscle memorey will take over. but, you will notice the weight difference every hour of every day that you have to carry.

i carry a 642 with uncle mikes boot grips and loaded with frederal personal protection jhp. looking at switching to hogue batam grips for better control.

go with the internal hammer and learn to shoot DAO, with practice it is more accurate than SA plus smoother and faster too.

As the saying goes, “When you’re carrying it, no gun is small enough. When you are shooting to protect yourself, no gun is big enough.”

The lighter the gun, the greater the felt recoil and the harder to control to get back on target for subsequent shots. When I carry a snubby, it’s a Taurus 85 with boot grips loaded with standard pressure 125-gr Nyclads. If you don’t like boot grips, they can usually be changed out to larger grips for about $20 and taking out one screw. It’s harder to shoot accurately at distance in double action, so it would be nice to at least have the capability to cock it. That makes the 638 is a nice compromise, although I’ve not had a problem drawing the Taurus 85 from a pocket (I just put my thumb on top of the hammer as I draw until I clear the pocket). The only clear advantage I see for the hammerless guns is the ability to shoot more than one shot from inside the pocket (and even then, don't be wearing gloves). Revolvers in general are harder to conceal than autos but someone your size should be able to conceal a 4” GP100, although in general you have to change how you dress to accommodate the gun. If you do IWB, I’d recommend Kydex because it holds it’s form so that you can reholster a revolver with one hand. I’ve never carried two snubbies, but I’ve read about people doing that. I think Jim Cirillo used to do that when he was on the NYPD stake-out squad.

A lot depends on HOW you carry. Pocket carry obviously calls for small and light. With a quality IWB holster and a real gun belt (much stiffer and usually thicker than normal belts) a surprisingly large gun can be carried quite easily. Most people find the grips the hardest thing to hide with IWB carry. For the record, in winter, or with heavier shirts I carry a S&W 627PC (five inch N frame). When that is too heavy or large I switch to a Kimber Ultra CDP. If I need a pocket gun I have an older Colt Gov't Model 380 Pocketlite.

I'm not a large guy. 5'5, 125lbs. I pack a S&W 442 J Frame (hammerless) airweight revolver, in black. My holsters are the Kramer Leather FBI tilt scarbard, and two IWB holsters (both left and right handed). I also have a pocket holster.

The gun is nice and light and with the stock grips I can shoot it just fine. I did switch to the larger Hogue grips once, but switched back. I don't remember why...I think it just felt better with larger grips.

If I'm wearing some types of sweat pants, I use one of the IWB holsters and put it in the small of my back. Other times I may use the other IWB holster and put it in front of me or when I'm wearing a belt, I'll use the Kramer holster (by far my favorite).

The 442 is light, doesn't get in the way, and I've become hella accurate with it at 60 feet. Only five shots so make them count. I keep a speedloader near by or on my person sometimes.

IMHO: Get the 442 and find a bunch of holsters to fit your lifestile modes.

If I bought a J frame, is it possible to put the full size grips on it in the fall/winter and the boot grips back on it in the spring/summer?

Yup. I put the full sized Hogue (I think the brand name is) grips on it...kept it for about a week and then went back to stock. Just feels better for *me*. It's really a personal decision. Do what makes you most comfortable with your weapon.

Back