Concealed carry auto, which one?

MSPHUNTER

I need to make a decition about what kind of concealed carry auto to buy. I want 10 rounds or more of capacity, mid-size, high quality, accuracy and cost is not a big issue.

For starters...

Browning High Power
HK USP compact
Glock 19/23/29/30/32
ParaOrdnance P12/P13
SIG P228/P229

Any of the Kahr autos would serve you well. The thing about a Kahr is that you will most probably have it with you when you need it instead of it being in your glove compartment. No they don't hold ten rounds but if you learn to shoot well you won't need that many rounds unless you plan to miss a lot.

Well, I think the Kahrs are swell, as are baby Glocks, ParaOrd P10's, Officer's-size 1911's, etc., but the poster wanted
10 rounds or more of capacity, mid-size,
Not: "What's your favorite gun".;);)

(In the spirit of Curuzer's immortal thread here.)

I am partial to 9mm for defense. Super controllable, cheap to practice with etc. I have a Steyr S9 and love it. This thing is great to say the least. Previously I owned a Glock 19. The Steyr is inherently more accurate, trigger is better-faster, the gun is solid as a rock. Recently, I have fallen in love with the P99 after shooting one at a rental range. Man that thing was filthy and abused, but super accurate and fast and lightweight. The Steyr has a safety which I really like. Subjectively, it recoils less than my 19 did.

Reliable, proven mid-sized combat tools holding ten rounds or more:

Browning Hi-Power
CZ-75 series and derivatives (EAA Witness etc.)
Beretta Border Marshal/Elite II/Centurion series
Glock 19/23/29/30/32 (depending on your caliber preference)
Walther P88/P99
SIG 229 (available in 9mm, .40 and .357SIG)

There are many more, these are just the ones that come to mind as having an excellent reptation in the reliability and quality department.

My recomendation for this criteria would be a Glock 27 or 26. My 27 has 10 round capacity (9+1) and I don't consider it overly small. If you want something larger go for the 23 or 19. None of these are my personal preference for a CCW but they would fit your criteria and are very reliable.

I have been full circle. (sort of) After having carried the lowly .22LR through the mighty .45ACP, I have settled upon something in the middle: the 9x18mm Makarov. The pistols chambered for this round are well built, easily concealed, and generally inexpensive. The 9x18 itself is a well designed self defense round, in a proven service caliber. (although not ours) My asbestos suite is now donned, and my shields are up. ;)

Glock 19/23, or the Walther P99. I like the Para-Ord P13.45, HK P7M13, and Sig 229 a lot too, but they are a little heavier.

You stated,

>>I need to make a decition about what kind of concealed carry auto to buy. I want 10 rounds or more of capacity, mid-size, high quality, accuracy and cost is not a big issue.<<

I would check into the Glocks, models 23 or 30.
Mod 23 is a .40S&W
Mod 30 is a .45 Auto

For serious all day carry, any weight savings is a definite plus. The corrosion resistance of the Glocks are also excellent. I wouldn't dare leave a steel frame pistol overnight after sweating the entire day in 100degree heat. Not a good practice with any weapon, but I have with my Glocks in rush rush situations when I had to unstrap and boogie to work.

Good Shooting
REd

Ps..aftermarket barrels abound for both models for caliber changes by just changing the barrels.

If cost is not really important...

Get an HK P7M8 or M13. Accurate, slim, concealable, 13+1 capacity in M13 version, but heavy. Another great choice as others have stated is the CZ-75 PCR or CZ75 compact. I consider the CZ-75B and BHP full size 9MM's, not mid size like the original poster asked.

Pilot

WoundChannel: The Browning Buck Mark is a .22, isn't it? Not knocking it, but you would choose a fairly large .22 as a CCW weapon? Why would you do this, or is it possible you are getting your models mixed up (maybe you're thinking hi-power or BDM)?

Kimber Pro CDP. 8-11 rounds of .45 (depends on type of magazine chosen). Aluminum frame, stainless slide, night sights, all the custom bells and whistles, and weighs only 28 oz. About $950. I bought one on Saturday and put two hundred rounds (5 brands/types - of ammo,including +P JHP's) through it yesterday with nary a hickup. I couldn't be happier with it, but I won't be carrying the +P's in it(ouch!).

Where is your sense of humor?

It is medium size and holds ten rounds. There was no specification for caliber. :) I wouldn't carry one for self defense, but I have known of some humans of less stature who carried .22s for ccw. TLA.

USP Compact, great medium sized handgun, high quality, 10 rounds, tough, reliable, accurate. safety/decock, safety only, decock only, DAO if you want...

Back