Concealed carry at the range . . .

Prof Young

So the range I usually shoot, Ramparts in Pocahontas IL, welcomes your CC gun but requests that it stay holstered save for when you are on the firing line. Went back to Indiana for the weekend and did some shooting with my old shooting buddies at the range in Kingsbrury Wildlife Area which is a state owned and run outdoor range. They don't want any holstered or CC guns while one is there.

What goes at your range?

Life is good.
Prof Young

The range I was at today does not allow holstered weapons unless you are an LE. Other ranges in my area have different rules.. A couple will allow you to draw and shoot from the holster.

Almost all ranges/gun shops in this are have signs on the door: No loaded weapons. No concealed carry. Weapons must be unloaded and boxed/bagged.

It depends on the range. The Game & Fish range near me doesn't allow CC at all. The private ranges don't allow "draw & shoot from the holster," but do allow CC.

My local range is unmonitored. The rule is, please don't shoot each other or destroy the property and, oh, yeah, no explosive targets. It is rare to see someone shooting who isn't carrying a sidearm of some time. Usually a very friendly bunch of people. :)

None of the of the public ranges I've been to allow practice from a holster, However since im already carrying I generally will do 1 draw just to get it out for shooting.

There was 1 range that said ALL guns must arrive cased, But it's no longer in business for unrelated reasons.

The range I use respects my right to CC....or open carry....and allows drawing practice .....when it less crowded....and the RO knows you...

Our game and fish commission range prohibits carry of a loaded firearm and even prohibits having loaded magazines until you are on the firing line.

From my time in Colorado I don't recall any restrictions like that on the indoor ranges I shot at, other than not being allowed to shoot from a holster (meaning I would have to CC a different pistol than my primary if I planned on shooting my primary CC) but at the state owned range it was not allowed, but not well marked. I found this out as I was printing fairly badly while shooting from a bench, and one of the RO's informed me that if I wanted to check my target during the next cold period I would have to unload and show clear on my carry gun.

The problem is; That attitude that you can do as you want regardless of the rules. In my house it is my rules and if you can not follow my rules you are out. These ranges have went thru a lot of hassles to have the ranges where you can shoot. You get to benefit from their work, you should be grateful for their efforts and respect them and their rules.

My range allows CC but once drawn and fired it stays out and is treated like any other firearm on the line.

My range doesn't want you to pull a loaded gun in the store area. Once on the range take your gun out and shoot. When you are done load your weapon, re-holster it, pay your bill, and go home.

Unless you are LEO, in uniform, our local indoor range prohibits carrying a loaded gun inside.....too many old folks bringing in a loaded gun, waving it around and asking for help - before they get to the firing line

There was a fast drawing go on at the rang in Pike County and one shot his gun with it in hoister and people got peppered with lead and some chips from the floor ! It was reported so NOW we can NOT have a gun on us when we are there it has to be on the shooting table! It only took one man to mess it up!!!!! Also they have people there watching what is going on after some one stole some gun while we where shooting now they fence it off and lock it up some people messes it up for the rest of us!!!

Sign says all weapons must be unloaded & cased.

Employees are openly carrying. I can tell many customers are CC'ing.

I will continue to CC until such time I'm asked not to. My CCW never leaves its holster. My range weapons are cased.

As far as I'm concerned, "concealed" means concealed.

Every time I read a thread about range rules some shooters have to endure, I count my blessings. Our range is an 8 mile drive for me on Forest Service land. It's open to the public 8-5 on Saturdays, for a $5.00 fee, with range safety officers present,etc. The rest of the week, the range is open 24/7 to members, no RSOs. Only restrictions are no alcohol, no aerial targets, explosives or tracers.

Back