Concealed Carry Ammo - Factory Rounds or Your Reloads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PAX Wrote:

All of that adds up to, it is absolutely to your advantage to keep unnecessary stuff out of the jury room. Every single little issue that makes you look worse to the jury can absolutely affect the final outcome. So it might just be in your best interest to cut off that line of attack by using factory loads, or even by using loads that the police themselves use. That makes knocking that weight off the scale a simple, two-sentence move that requires no effort from your lawyer and no work for the jury to understand. It’s a slam dunk.

Remember PERCEPTION: How does the jury perceive what the prosecutor gives them and how do they perceive what your lawyer gives them.

Here on the forum, where most of us contribute our knowledge of guns, ammunition and shooting, we have a much different perception of guns and bad guys than do most of your neighbors, who would be on that jury.

I have a tree hugging neighbor who absolutely abhors guns. She tells me how she cringes when she hears me shooting and she thinks all guns should be illegal. (She was madder than a wet hornet when she found out her husband had been over at my place shooting with me. :D) How do you think she would react to being on a jury in which there was any question about guns?

It's unlikely the prosecution would let a full blown gun enthusiast on the jury.

Folks with antigun attitudes would be primed to find against you if the issue was made a point in trial.

I'm currently researching whether this has surfaced in police shootings with some in the know (:confused:).

We know from other kinds of similar questions that such attitudes can influence juries.

Warning: Long post.

First, for my caveats:

Caveat #1: I am not giving legal advice on which anyone on here should rely. I am an attorney, but you should never, and I do mean never use the words in this post to build your defense. I am an attorney, but I am only licensed in my home state and federal courts. Unless you live in Arkansas, I am not licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Besides, you have not hired me, and I have not reviewed your case.

Caveat #2: I have not yet fully researched the issue of self-defense shootings. I have spent what little spare time I have researching this issue lately, but it will take a while for me to become fully versed in self-defense law.

Caveat #3: I have practiced in several areas over the course of my career, the most recent two being criminal defense attorney and prosecutor. (I was a criminal defense attorney, and then landed a job that included prosecution duties.) However, I have never had a defense case involving a shooting, and my prosecutorial duties are primarily in DWI cases.

Now, with all of that said, I want to comment on pax's post. Despite her last statement, that her post was just a "researched, layman's understanding" of the law in self-defense shootings, I'd suggest going back to read that post again. Maybe more than once. She makes several outstanding points. There is, in fact, lots of good information there, but there are a few specifics worth highlighting.

Excellent point #1:
pax said:
. . . . Cops and prosecutors get paid to find criminals and bring them to justice. That's the job. . . .
This is true. I work with police officers every day, either in prosecuting their cases, or defending them in lawsuits. I spent 3 years defending them in civil suits, jumped the fence and worked as a criminal defense attorney for a few years, then jumped the fence again and now I prosecute some of their cases. As a whole, they're a great group to work with, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Still, you've got to understand that for most of them, "cop" isn't what they do, it's what they are. What they do is find bad guys. In any case where someone has been shot, whether that person lives or dies, the police will go looking for a bad guy. If you're the last person standing, guess who the first suspect is.

Excellent point #2:
pax said:
. . . .So when you hear someone say, "As long as the shooting itself is justified," that person has just skimmed right past the most important concept of all: the shooting isn't justified until the cops and prosecutors say it's justified.

Of course, if you commit murder and get tried for murder and convicted of murder, that's one thing. But if you reasonably and vigorously defend your life in a somewhat muddled or confusing set of circumstances, and someone dies as a result, that's when you end up in court and that's when all of this comes into play.
Read the bolded part. Twice. If you're lucky, and smart in handling yourself immediately after a shooting, the cops and prosecutors will determine that the shooting was justified. If you're not, it will take a jury, and maybe 2 or 3, to decide that it was justified. As someone pointed out, there's more than one legal process that can be set in motion by the shooting.

First, a criminal prosecution. If the shooting happens in your house, in the dark of night, and the BG has been kind enough to bring his crack pipe, duct tape and switchblade with him, you might escape being arrested. If it happened anywhere else, or under any other, murkier circumstances, you may well be arrested & taken to jail, where you could spend a day or two waiting to see a judge for a bond hearing. If you can’t make bail, you’ll stay there until trial. After that, the proceedings could take months or years before it’s all finally over. Frankly, even if you eventually win, you could lose your job (can't go to work if you're in jail), and defending it could cost a whole boatload of money if you hire private counsel.

Second, a possible civil suit, either by the BG himself, or his estate. It's possible to be vindicated in the criminal trial and still lose the civil trial. Why? Because there's a lower standard of proof in civil trials. The prosecutor will have to prove X, Y & Z beyond a reasonable doubt. In the civil case, the plaintiff will only have to prove A, B & C by a preponderance of the evidence. That means, in essence, that the plaintiff in the civil case only has to prove that it is more likely than not that things happened the way he said it does. It’s possible for the plaintiff to clear that hurdle, even if the prosecution can’t clear the (higher) bar of BRD. Again, even if you win the civil suit, it can cost you a boatload of money to defend it, and take up months or years of your time.

Excellent point #3:
pax said:
. . . . But I won’t carry handloads for defense, for this reason: I want my attorney to have every possible advantage at trial.

Let me restate one of my caveats: I have not yet fully researched the issue of self-defense shootings. The issue of admission of the scientific and forensic evidence involved in a shooting is unclear to me. With that said, I’ll just throw out a couple of thoughts on the matter.

So, shooting from the hip (no pun intended), from a criminal defense perspective, it occurs to me that being able to introduce factory loads and their performance could be very, very valuable. Here’s my thinking: If you have to introduce them to show the distance from the attacker, for example, you might be able to get that in without the shooter ever having to testify. I say “might,” because getting that in would rely on several factors, some of which could be absent. On the other hand, getting in the scientific stuff could be much harder when dealing with handloads.

Scenario #1: Factory loads. If I have a receipt for the bullets, I can show when and where they were purchased by having someone from Wally World testify as to the receipt, and what it shows. Maybe there’s a video of my client at WW, buying the ammo. In that case, I can have him identified by someone from the store. I can have folks from the state crime lab testify as to casings and projectiles recovered from the scene. Then I can put on my experts to testify as to the bullets that were used in their testing, and comparison to the ones purchased. No client testimony required.

Scenario #2: Handloads. If my client had used handloads, there’s a very good chance that the only person who can testify as to how they were loaded is my client. At that point, my client must give up his Fifth Amendment right in order to testify. Even assuming that my client is not guilty of the crime charged, I may not want him to testify, or he may not want to. Sometimes a client should (or may want to) refrain from testifying for reasons other than the criminal case at hand. If I think that a civil suit (like wrongful death) is coming down the pike, I may not want him putting on sworn testimony until he absolutely has to. If he was on his way home from his girlfriend’s house, and the shooting happened when he stopped at a convenience store, he may not want his wife to know where he’d been (and then I’d have a divorce case on my hands).

As a final note, I have to comment on the remarks about lawyers. If you live and love to hate lawyers, and nothing I say will ever convince you that we’re anything but a bunch of lyin’ scumbags, you might want to stop here, because I’m about to defend them (us).

First of all, despite common conceptions (and believe it or not), lawyers are as hard-working and honest as any group of people I've ever met. Are there some scumbags in the bunch? Sure. Name me one profession that doesn't have a few of those. We’re bound by the Model Rules of Professional Conduct (which may go by other names in other states), and the bottom line on that is that if we’re dishonest in our dealings or in court, we can lose our license to practice law. I don’t know about other lawyers, but my student loan company wants its money back, whether I get to keep my license or not. And working as a lawyer is the best money that I can make, given my education and skills. Even if I were not an honest man at heart, fear alone would to keep me honest until those student loans are paid off.

Second, lots of plaintiff's work is done on a contingency basis. If you've seen the ads that say things like "if we don't win, you don't owe us a dime," that's what they're talking about. Any good plaintiff’s lawyer develops a very, very good ear for a winnable case. Cases are won on the facts and the law, not who has hired the better liar. If a plaintiff’s lawyer doesn’t develop that ear, they don’t stay in business long. That’s the simple, practical truth. A plaintiff’s lawyer who keeps investing time on contingency-based cases, and keeps losing, just winds up investing lots and lots of time in cases that don’t pay. Lawyers can’t stay in business by working for free, any more than anyone else.

Finally, for those of you who have such an intense dislike of lawyers . . . When someone is involved in a self-defense shooting, and is then charged with murder, who exactly do you think defends them?

Pick a quality Factory round.

Duplicate it and pratice with your handload

Carry the factory load

It will make the Civil Suit easier

As I don't hand load, and have to rely on someone else to do it for me, hand loads are for range use only and factory (gold dots first option) for carry ammo.

If reloads are bad for self defence then factory loads are also. Someone loaded them, so that someone should be responsible. All ammo is loaded to go bang and none of mine is intended to hurt anyone, but if you break into my house you will find out that my ammo does go bang. 99% of my ammo is reloaded by me.

Great post, Spats!!!! That point that you would have to testify about your handloads and then lose your 5th A. rights is awesome.

On the stand, you would be crossed on why you thought that you were designing a round of such and such lethality. Regular stuff wasn't good enough for you. From my read of the psych/law lit. that discussion would stand a good chance of being the only thing that the jury remember.

You discussing the ballistics and reliability might be techy and depending on jury characteristics might just zap by them. You would need a high cognitive functioning jury vs. one taking the lower emotional path. Hope your lawyer can get those folks on the jury, if there enough of them in the pool. The gun experts aren't going to make the panel and the smart guys can come up with excuses to be off the jury.

pax has it right, and Spats McGee did a good job too.

[1] The legal issues regarding the use of handloads for self defense have been discussed extensively here. See:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261157

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283823

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365747

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391656

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394682

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397127

[2] Just some high points --

• Yes, a good shoot is a good shoot. But you won't be deciding if it was a good shoot. Other folks will. And if you're on trial, someone who matters didn't think it was a good shoot. Now it's not a good shoot unless the jury says so.
  • If you've been involved in a shooting in which you claim self defense and if, for some reason, gunshot residue (GSR) test results will be important to your defense, GSR test results will not be admissible into evidence if you used handloads. It won't matter how good your records may be. They are suspect, because they are yours. You will not be able to establish the necessary foundation for admission of GSR test results of your handloads because you will not be able to satisfactorily establish that the handloads tested were the same as the rounds fired in the incident.
  • It will be highly unlikely that any members of your jury will have any knowledge of or interest in guns or shooting. Your reasons for using handloads will strike them as too "inside baseball", and they will probably not be receptive to them.
  • If you're on trial in a shooting in which you're claiming self defense, you probably have a number of problems. Handloads can become one more thing that will need to be explained, one more "wild card." As a general rule in court, the less you have to explain, the better off you'll be. You won't have to explain handloads if you didn't use them and used factory ammunition instead.
  • There aren't cases on the issue because it's most likely that there are very few self defense incidents in which handloads have been used.

[3] All these points are discussed in greater detail and at greater length in the threads I've linked to.

[4] I practiced law for over 30 years before retiring a few years ago. I will not use handloads for self defense applications. My reasons are more fully discussed in the threads I've linked to.

Without rehashing old battles between myself and others here (read the links) I'll simply state that judges decide what is admitted and what is not; accredited criminalistics labs test what the police submit; and that for all the time and money thrown at strategic jury selection there is literally no way to predict what you'll get from any given juror.

nodlenor said:
If reloads are bad for self defence then factory loads are also. Someone loaded them, so that someone should be responsible. All ammo is loaded to go bang and none of mine is intended to hurt anyone, but if you break into my house you will find out that my ammo does go bang. 99% of my ammo is reloaded by me.

*sigh* ....after all the discussions about this...

Are you a licensed and regulated business? Are you bonded/insured? If not, then a business that loads factory ammo has QUITE the advantage of alleviating themselves of responsibility if the ammo is questioned in the court of law...

An average Joe in his basement? Well, it's your turn to counter for the individual. I already know the answer.

Are you a licensed and regulated business? Are you bonded/insured? If not, then a business that loads factory ammo has QUITE the advantage of alleviating themselves of responsibility if the ammo is questioned in the court of law...
And more importantly, the factory is a disinterested third party. The court will accept their performance and loading data for comparison to the findings of the investigators. You are most certainly not a disinterested third party, and the court will most likely not accept your data.

Which versus what?

I am glad to see that some trained legal minds have given their thoughts. Even if shooters don't wish to accept the guidance of those who work in the legal system the shooter's common sense should chime in at some point and tell them that a load they don't have the expertise to testify fully about is bad juju for defense. I read one of Ayoob's thoughts on the matter. I can't express it verbatim but the gist of it was that the time to begin preparing for a trial or suit concerning the use of deadly force was when you first make the decision to carry a firearm. Again, common sense, if you don't prepare yourself as early as possible you will assuredly wish that you had when the dreaded time comes. You might even make an argument...but it won't be as researched and well-prepared as the one started well in advance. I have handloaded practice ammo over the past 40 years but I always had a 'still,small voice' that whispered to me to carry the factory ammo for a variety of reasons. Regards to all.

Really?

I understand that logic and facts won't sway everyone. And I am happy that we can live in such a world. I was shot on the job in 1980 and returned fire effectively. I was also shot in February, 2009 and lost a large portion of my left hand and my left middle finger. I shot an individual in 1972 while on the job. I have spent, probably, days on each of the above being briefed by state attorneys and prepared for court. Thank God for them. I ended up on the justifiable list each time. I have seen several other "justifiable" shootings go bad in court. WHEN YOU GET IN FRONT OF A JURY YOU ABSOLUTELY NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL OCCUR.

When I used to be an armed guard, I was told that avoid "magnums" because of possible civil complications. I had a .357 magnum reolver, but I had it loaded with specials. The word magnum might conjure up images of Dirty Harry and blow your head clean off pictures in the minds of jury members. We were also told to never use reloaded ammo for the same reason. The lawyer of the victim will do everything he can to paint a picture of you as some sort of crazy killer. He will use every available evidence to that end.

I don't know how much of this is hype or fact. But I figure it is best to stack the deck in your favor as much as possible.

re:SpatsMcgee

At that point, my client must give up his Fifth Amendment right in order to testify.

I thought that the fifth applied only to criminal proceedings. Please correct me if I am wrong.

No, you're correct. The Fifth Amendment does apply only to criminal proceedings. I apologize if I was unclear, but the scenario I had in mind was one in which: (1) someone is involved in (what he perceives to be) a self-defense shooting, and (2) is then subsequently charged with criminal offenses (agg assault, manslaughter, murder, etc) for the shooting. During the criminal proceedings (and other times), the shooter/defendant has a right to remain silent. In that sentence, I was not referring to a possible civil suit.

Looking at the possibility of a civil lawsuit, though, any plaintiff's attorney worth his weight in dirt should order a transcript of the aforementioned criminal trial in preparing his civil suit. If the shooter/defendant testified at the criminal trial, the plaintiff's (civil) attorney gets a free (or relatively cheap) look at what the shooter/defendant should say in the civil case. If the shooter/defendant deviates from the tale told in the criminal trial, it's useful as impeachment evidence.

Last edited:
Spats McGee said:
No, you're correct. The Fifth Amendment does apply only to criminal proceedings. I apologize if I was unclear, but the scenario I had in mind was one in which: (1) someone is involved in (what he perceives to be) a self-defense shooting, and (2) is then subsequently charged with criminal offenses (agg assault, manslaughter, murder, etc) for the shooting. During the criminal proceedings (and other times), the shooter/defendant has a right to remain silent....
One thing I need to point out. If you are claiming self defense, as a practical matter you will almost always wind up needing to testify.

Exercising your right not to testify is often tactically appropriate in a criminal case when you are not claiming self defense. Then of course, the prosecution must prove all the elements of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt. You're trying to keep the prosecutor from meeting his burden of proof. Often not testifying will thus help your defense.

To be sure, even when you are claiming self defense, the prosecutor must prove the elements of the crime. But when you claim self defense, you have effectively admitted the elements of the crime (i. e., you intentionally shot the guy). Your defense is that the legal standards justifying the use of lethal force in self defense were met.

So you will have to affirmatively put on evidence establishing prima facie that you were justified in shooting the guy. You will need to put on evidence about what happened sufficient to cause the trier of fact to be able to infer that a reasonable and prudent person in like circumstance would have concluded that lethal force was necessary to prevent otherwise unavoidable, immediate death or grave bodily injury to an innocent.

It's pretty tough for the defendant claiming self defense to be do that without taking the stand to tell his story.

Looking at the possibility of a civil lawsuit, though, any plaintiff's attorney worth his weight in dirt should order a transcript of the aforementioned criminal trial in preparing his civil suit. If the shooter/defendant testified at the criminal trial, the plaintiff's (civil) attorney gets a free (or relatively cheap) look at what the shooter/defendant should say in the civil case. If the shooter/defendant deviates from the tale told in the criminal trial, it's useful as impeachment evidence.

That works both directions, too. Stuff from the civil suit sometimes makes it to the criminal trial. Check out the link provided by divil above: http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/images/stories/journal/Network_2010-9.pdf

Long story, great read, excellent (but depressing) lessons.

pax

I read that newsletter the other day, but I don't recall exactly how civil-trial stuff got into the criminal trial. Still, I will say this: In theory, it may work in both directions. In practice, however, it's more common to have the criminal trial go first. If the civil trial goes first, the plaintiff's attorney may well find himself stonewalled by a shooter/defendant who exercises his Fifth Amendment right to remain silent, on the grounds that criminal charges are pending. On the other hand, if the criminal trial is over, the shooter/defendant no longer has a Fifth Amendment right to exercise. There is no longer any risk of self-incrimination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back