Concealable .45s?

I've become a Detonics fan, too. Mine needed a little tweaking out of the box, but it is now one of my favorite guns. A local gun shop has three of them, priced in the $550-$600 range, so they are around if you look. The grip frame and barrel/slide are not exactly like anything else on the market; that is, the frame is not "officers length" (it's shorter), and the barrel/slide are not like the Officers or the P-10/Kimber Ultra. Essex sells most of the parts that are not "1911", so the gun isn't really obsolete, even though it's been out of production for ten years.

Appreciate all the good info. I'll have to check into the Sig 245, as I have always been fond of Sigs.

FWIW, I have a Detonics .45 that I've had for years, and truly love, but it is a bit heavy for routine carry in a pocket or under a shirt.

I'm not really interested in the 1911 variants, as my Detonics fills this niche nicely. I consider the Glocks too dangerous for routine carry except in certain types of holsters. (Spare me the flames -- IMHO, a gun with a history of ADs like Glock is dangerous, whether they are "user" errors or not.)

I have yet to see a Mauser M-2, Sig 245,or Taurus P-145. Hope to see one or more at the gun show in Ft Worth weekend after next.

Again, Thanks to all.

You guys crack me up.

Yeah, I can conceal an AR-15 shorty if I join the trench coat mafia. I can carry a Desert Eagle in my fanny pack too.

But would you everday all day long?

I don't think so. I see a lot of talk but I bet there is little metal attached to the hip as we speak.

But if you want a comfortable undetectable regular carry kind of firearm IWB for 10-15 hours, the Glock 26, 27, and 30 are what we're carrying.

Who is wearing their piece right now.

OOOOooppps. Got my P7 PSP IWB today. But you know what I mean.

OK, I'm going to get flamed for this! I own both a Sig P245 and a full-size 1911 Govt. Wilson Combat Protector. Which gun is more comfortable, and MORE CONCEALABLE for me? The full-sized 1911 hands down. How is this possible!?!?!?!? I didn't believe it myself, but after spending about 30 minutes on the phone with Tony Kanaley (sp) at Milt Sparks, he educated me on the subject.

First of all, length of the pistol has little to do with concealability. ITS THE THICKNESS that matters. Look at the thickness of a Glock or a Sig. It's definitely a chunky pistol. Put the pistol inside the waistband, tuck a shirt over top. Which one makes a discernable lump? Which one is the more obvious? It's the short, compact but THICK Sig or Glock. Now obviously, with a coat or suit jacket, both will conceal. But for a TUCKABLE conceal, like with my favorite holster in the world, the VM-2, The Sig sticks out like a sore thumb.

Guns that are THINNER in width conceal better than compact, CHUNKY guns. That's why the 19ll can conceal better than the Sig P245. I love the Sig, but when I need to go to a Tuckable conceal, I grab the 1911. Just my 02 cents.

S&W CS45

I will agree with Ben in regard to the S&W CS45. I got a deal on mine. It is matte blue and came with three magazines, lock, and a carrying case. It was new and I paid $325.00. It has never missed a beat and is slick as hell since it got a trigger job. I like it a lot and I have confidence in it. Regards, Richard.

To each his own of course but, I have had no problem carrying a full size 1911. Nice and flat.<p>Jtduncan, I'm wearing mine as I write :)
Bob

Chunky pistols do not conceal well as pointed out.
This is true... This is why you dont hear about Ruger Autos being carried concealed very often.
The other thing that contributes is the length of the grip.
Grip length is PARAMOUNT in concealing.
The barrel length is less important as you can tuck that part down your pants... but the grip still hangs out.
This is the area that the Bobtail conversion helps... that last corner of the grip is where 90% of the Printing, uh, prints.

I remember seeing several differnt variations of full length grip frames... with short short slides. This was for a carry gun. This is a BAD idea. You lose balistic advantage and gain Zero concealability. I dont even see the advantage if one used a Horizontal shoulder rig. Not to mention that HITTING the target becomes much more difficult!

Some companies are reversing this... As of Shot 2000 I saw several that had shorter grips and longer slides.

Every handgun is an example of compromise. There is no IDEAL handgun. Not even the 1911 (!) because its still a handgun and it will never be as effective as a rifle. But thats for another thread.

I was talking to a fellow no too long ago. He has a Kimber Ultra... said that it was the smallest .45 you can get.
I mentioned the Detonics was shorter in the grip. He argued... Thats nice... I drew my Detonics and side by side showed him the 1/2 inch difference.
Like I said - compromise - the Detonics may be the most Concealable 1911 .45 on the planet... but its the most difficult handgun I have EVER owned to actually shoot.
But thats okay... Its a CCW gun... ment for defense at close range... Its better than a knife. Even a SIFU.
It loses balistic ability - but thats okay... should I shove it into you under your sturnum and pull the trigger - you wouldnt feel the difference.
Should you be across 2 lanes behind partial cover of a parked auto - then I have a huge problem... A snub revolver would be better!
Like I said... Compromise.

hello...

you might take a look at the republic arms patriot 45... light... easy to conceal... acceptable accuracy... bad sights... unusual trigger pull... decent crisis resolution firearm at around $250... i have one and it has performed well so far... (200 rounds)... i bought it as a light duty carry weapon... for times when my p-97 is inappropriate... it's worth a look...

good luck...

regards... v.

V-Max, you beat me to it! I just registered here a few minutes ago and started reading this thread. I said to myself, "they oughta check out the Patriot .45". I still love mine. Recently I drilled out (made larger) the two "dots" on the rear sight and filled them with white enamel. I could NOT, however, make a scratch on the front sight with my drill or any other implement, so I just painted on a white dot. Looks pretty good! November

I have been carrying concealed in hot climates for several years. My fav CCW gun, and the one I have on my hip as I type, is my GLOCK 30.

I tried the 1911 thing, and damn that pistol is big and HEAVY, especially for a measely 8 rounds of .45. I got a backache trying to wear it around 24/7. And it rusts. And the doohickies sticking out of it jab my skin. I wonder if some of these people that claim to carry, really do...every day, all day.

The Glock 30 at first appears thicker than a 1911, but if you include the safety and levers and such on the 1911 which must be covered by a holster (adding more thickness), and the often thick grips on a 1911, then the G30 is really no thicker in my experience.

I carry G30, literally, under a cotton tank top or a white T-Shirt and nylon shorts in 110* weather. You can't get more concealable than that.

I have a gun on me just about 24/7 for several years now, and the G30 is a dream to carry and more so a dream to shoot. I even have the ability to carry it in my underwear or anywhere else. I could not accomplish that with the heavy 1911, unless I wore a belt and holster with my boxer shorts around the house.

My G30 holds 11 rounds, is smooth all over, rust proof, RELIABLE, has lower recoil than any other .45 I have ever shot, (including full sized 1911's), is more accurate than any .45 I have ever shot, including my full sized custom 1911's.

I could not possibly give higher accolades than to the Glock 30.

If you want something REALLY small, then the Glock 27 should fit the bill, or the new Steyr S40. But, I am not nearly as accurate with those guns.

I fully agree that thickness matters and barrel length matters less. I have a Glock 22 that has the handle cut down to compact size, and it conceals EXTREMELY easily for a full length gun.

Not meaning to diss on anyone else's choice (1911)...just different strokes for different folks I guess. But, I have given it a fair shake several times, and it ain't for me.

Anyway, didn't you just say you don't want a Glock because you are afraid you will pull the trigger when aren't supposed to? Hmmm, I wonder why I am typing this then...Oh well, just another opinion to throw in the pot.

Sr. Duncan... I would be very careful with statements like that around THIS crowd. Way too many of us carry full sized Cocked and Locked 1911s every danged day. All of my carry guns are 1911 variants; Les Baer TRS, Wilson CQB and STI LS-9. All metal. I don't own but ONE piece of plastic. And IT is a 1911 polymer that sits under my CCU. :D

Never make gereral statements about THIS group! ;)

Bubba

Its not just talk.

I have my big, heavy, pokey 1911 on right now. In a belly band none the less. I wear it around my waist in the standard IWB position, I tuck my shirt in over it, blouse the shirt a little, and tighten my belt up and I'm good to go. The safety is not covered, but it has never poked me or come off. Yes it is heavy, but you get used to it. I work around people all day long, every day, and I only wear a normal t-shirt over the gun. I've only been made when somebody has touched me there, and luckily that person liked guns. I'm a big guy so that probably helps conceal it. I've ran with this gun and a bellyband and it has worked fine, I even played a game of sand vollyball at a reunion once and it was ok.

Sure there are lighter guns, but this is the one that I shoot the best, so its the one that I carry.

I feel naked when I'm unarmed, I'm going to San Francisco for two weeks over Christmas, and I'm dredding not being able to carry. You just get used to it I guess. The only time I don't carry locally is when I go jogging.

My HK USP Compact may be bigger than some concealable 45's, however gun control and accuracy are also important. The thing will shoot with or outshoot bigger service 45's. It will even outshoot Full Size USP 45's on occasion. Not Bad..

I'll throw in a recommendation for the Glock 30. It is by far the best combination of concealability, shootability, and reliability I have seen in a .45
It conceals easily and shoots dead on, and it holds 10 rounds. It's kind of chunky and dense (like a brick), but so is the HK USP Compact .45.

Back