Concealable .45s?

I currently have a Kel-Tec P-11/40 combo gun which is very concealable, but difficult to shoot well. I've always been a .45ACP kind of guy, and would like to get one of the new smaller models that are now out there.

I'm currently considering the Taurus 145 and the Mauser M-2. I've heard that the Tauruses aren't too durable and take forever to get fixed. I haven't heard anything on the Mausers. Has anyone had any experience with either of these weapons, good or bad?

Any input appreciated.

Kimber Ultra Carry
Colt lightweight officers
Glock 36
Springfield V10

are just some good ones to consider

I will make my first post to this forum a second to the suggestion by Ala Dan for the Sig 245. I bought one for myself for Christmas ;-) and I love it!

I would add the Para P12 to Son's list, which is essentialy the Colt Officers Model with 12-round capacity.

I'd further suggest that the Alessi Hard Shell Talon IWB holster is a good concealability holster for whichever gun you choose.

A full size 1911 is very concealable for most individuals due to its width.

Anyone should be able to conceal a compact 1911 in an appropriate holster.

Are they hide-away pistols? No. But that isn't what we are really wanting in a fighting 45, now is it? ;)

I carry either a Sig 220 or a Sig 245 and have no problem with either.The 245 is only about a 1/2 longer then then the colt officers and IMHO a lot more reliable.

Detonics

http://www.users.qwest.net/~hgeorge8/Detonics Section.htm

This is the Ideal Compact 1911... If you want something like the Detonics - your going to have to get a Tussy Custom or a Cylinder and Slide Adventurer... these are even smaller than the Springfield or Kimber Ultra Compacts and will cost you about 1800 bucks.
Terry Tussy explained to me some of the mechanical aspects of the Detonics verses his unit... very interesting...
If I had the money - I'ld try one of his out. But since I have a need for speed - and thus am into Rally Racing... my gun budget is severly hampered... I'll have to deal with my Detonics. Totally ahead of its time. Beautifully sculpted... Unique... Its not a hard thing to deal with...

For me, the CCO (Commander length slide and LW Officer frame) is just about the perfect size. The longer (4.25 inch) barrel doesn't lose much in velocity, and the extra length makes the pistol ride more securely IWB. The shorter butt aids in concealment, but is still enough to hold and carries seven rounds (for a 7+1 capacity). I haven't seen one of these around for a while though--I have one of the first issue (two-tone, no guide rod).

Another alternative would be the Defender though as a rule I don't care for .45s this small. Our local firearms emporium still has one in stock that I have been considering picking up as an investment.

my vote goes with juliet charley for the colt c c o. i have been hunting the auctions and bullitin boards and finally found one of the second models with the guide rod and ambi safety and fancy grips. if i didn't have it i would go with the para ordnance p-12. i can't believe a gun that size can shoot as well as it does.

Probably the best .45 from an all-around concelability point of view would be a Glock 36. I owned one, and it has many virtues. It is flat, light, and has few levers/spurs/hammers/protuberances to snag on clothing. The gun itself is also accurate and was 100% reliable with everything I could throw into it, including 200gr +P Gold Dots that would choke up other .45s I've shot.

One caveat, though: although the gun in and of itself had good accuracy (it was really accurate if I shot it from sandbags), I personally found it difficult to shoot it well from unsupported (i.e. more "realistic") positions. Recoil was no big deal even with +P ammo, and the gun felt good in the hand, but something about shooting it threw me off. OTOH, I shoot my Glock 20C better and with greater ease than just about anything else... even though it feels fat and clunky and, with hot loads and the 6" barrel, seems to have snappier recoil. And my old Glock 23 had nasty, snappy recoil and was about the same size and shape as the 36, yet I shot it really well too. Go figure.

So I guess the point of all this rambling is... try before you buy! :)

C.B.

Since you stated a concealable .45 and not necessarily a 1911 style weapon, may I suggest the AMT .45 Backup?! Flame me if you'd like, but I think it is a great gun! I had one that shot very well. I am thinking of getting another one this Christmas. It was flat, could be carried in my back pocket, and I could hit what I wanted to with it. It also fed hollowpoints and fmj with no bobbles. I picked mine up for $248.00 NIB here in Dallas.

My .02 but give one a try. most people that disparage them because of trigger pull or other such nonsense are mistaking this gun for something other than the self defense weapon that it is or have never held one and fired it! It is not a target gun. It does not have a "sweet" trigger or even look that particularly lovely. It does make for a powerful small weapon though...

Chris Canis

The key to concealable is shorter, thinner, and especially no exposed hammer to snag on your closthes and AD during your draw from undercover.

My choice was the Glock 30 - it takes hi-cap Glock 21 mags and is widely reported to be the most accurate Glock of all. And she recoils like a 9mm. The Glock 36 is nice but you'd have to get the calipers out to see the minute difference between it and the G30. And that one kicks.

The P245 is a chopped down P220 and it has an exposed hammer and is slippery in the hand and top heavy. I love the P220 though.

You could go with a subcompact 1911 like a nice Kimber but then again, you've got that exposed hammer and for a CCW gun, reliability is a must and I've sen too many guys with 1911s autodump rounds, FTF, or cannot get into play with their 1911.

The HK USP Compact 45 is a pretty nice shooter but I think she also has an exposed hammer.

Sorry folks but Glock rocks here. Just ask your cop friends what they carry. All my fed LEA buddies now carry the G30 because they lusted after mine for some long. :)

[Edited by jtduncan on 11-30-2000 at 04:42 PM]

Smith & Wesson CS-45

I really like the new Chief's Special series, so you may want to look into them also.

Ben

I like the lightwieght commander model.. I dislike the chunkier feel of the "officer's model".

Functionally its not that much smaller than a full sized GM, but in fit and feel its a world of difference.

Be advised without a beavertail the old model commander will eat the skin off the web of your thumb.

You CAN carry a 1911 concealed!

Until recently I was of the opinion that I could not carry a full size 1911 comfortably. I got a good belt and a good IWB holster and now carry my Springfield Armory quite comfortably and effectively concealed. Live and learn!

Back