Complete Newbie

Doyle said:
Marlin 25N hasn't been produced in over a decade. It was replaced with the 925 which has been replaced with the XT-22.

I've been looking for a good 25N myself. I kick myself for letting a good one pass a few months ago.

Yeah, I didn't word that too well. I meant that used/new Marlin bolt action .22 rifles (25n, 800 series, 900 series, XT series) should run $100-$200.

I am going to refurbish my 25n in a few years for my son (he's two now) and put some Williams peep sights on it for him.

Good luck with your rifle . Good choice, my advice would be to buy 1 box 50 rounds of 5 different kinds of 22's standard & high velosity to see which one your rifle shoots best. Barrel should be cleaned for each test. Don't dry fire on a empty chamber, with the bolt back trigger held back slide the bolt closed will cause the firing pin to move foward without dinging the chamber seat. Have fun & Be Safe.

What are the basic things to know/do when getting a new rifle?

First congratulations on your new gun.

Good ear and eye protection are a must. Even though its "just" a .22 it can cause hearing damage and you might have a loudboomer next to you on the firing line.

Take a class, heck take several classes. It's best to get the basics down early and having an instructor really accelerates that. The NRA web site has lists of classes near you and most rifle ranges will have some kind of instruction.

After a few months seek out competition. You learn a lot competing and the people you compete against are more than happy to help a newbie.

Lastly have fun.

Quick update guys, picked it up from my FFL dealer about two days ago. Ordered a cheap 3-9x32 Tasco from Walmart that I should be able to get by 2/13.

Any recommendations on what to look for in buying cleaning materials? Clueless when it comes down to what kind of oil, bore cleaner, etc. Don't even know how to begin maintaining the rifle.

Searched up some vids on youtube so I got them bookmarked on how to actually take apart the rifle and clean it.

Also, the bolt seems a little stiff. What can I do to make it slide a little smoother?

The Dick's Sporting Goods by me doesn't even carry any .22. I'm sure the ranges here sell some. Are they overpriced at ranges? Should I buy/bring my own targets to the range? Don't want to needlessly overpay at ranges.

Thanks a lot for the tips! Can't wait to mount the scope and start shooting.

Ordinary Breakfree CLP (normally available at Walmart) is pretty much all you'll need. It cleans and lubricates. Some guys put a very tiny film of grease on the locking lugs of their bolts but that isn't an absolute. As to the bore, don't clean a .22LR bore until it starts to show signs of bad grouping. The vast majority of .22's shoot much better on a fouled bore.

22 ammo has been semi scarce for a while but it's coming back. Some places online have deals if it can be shipped to your state.

The range will have their own markup and prices could vary. I try not to pay more than $8 for 50. But there are different quality standards. Some is just standard which can be had for $3 for 50 and then there's match ammo that can cost over $25 for 50.

On Cleaning, Hoppe's #9 bore cleaner, Ballistol as a lube. Get a one piece coated cleaning rod, Dewey makes a nice rod. When to clean is up to you. Some clean after shooting & some clean when accuracy drops off. Midway USA has all the things you will need. Have fun, Be Safe.

By the way, when I buy a rifle and have them ship it to my FFL dealer, as a first time buyer, what do I need to bring with me?
I'd suggest you study NY firearms regulations, since they are different than most places

Down here all you need is a Photo ID and a way to pay for it all

If you have shot a gun before get a 30-06 but if you haven't get a 22 lr and practice.

I think a savage 11/111 xp wouldn't be bad. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sava...tt=Savage+11&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products
It's a very nice gun, you can probaly get a better gun for more but this is a very nice gun for the price, so you could get a cheaper gun and get this, very nice, I have research it a lot.

To you could get this gun that is better but more.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remi...gton+700+sps&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products you could buy this and sport a nice $170 dollar scope and it would be under your budget and have a better gun and way better scope than the savage.

I have recently (2 days ago) got a Remington 700 ADL and it is awesome and great. So I am thinking the model up is better.the SPS has a better barrel and stock than the ADL and those are the 2 thing that could be upgraded on my ADL.

Sincerely,
Zach

I've quickly read thru most of the replies. Do favor him owning a nice bolt action 22 rifle to practice with.

As to him buying a 30-06, think maybe a .308 might be a better choice for a centerfire rifle. Do not get me wrong, own around five 30-06 rifles, but its not a cartridge rifle I prefer shooting at range. Yep, I"m kinda a wimp when shooting from benchrest. Find the .308 with its ballistics, bullet choice, availabilty of ammo, if you do not reload like me, to have a lower recoil, thats more pleasant to shoot from benchrest.

So I bought a Tasco 3-9x32, and just picked it up today.

Planning on going to the range soon.

Last edited:
welcome to the world of guns. now you'll be like everyone else....broke!!! i shoot from the 20 vartarg to the 45-70 and all disposible income (and then some) is now and forever, gone.:D

all kidding aside, welcome to the group. i haven't shot my 22 in two or three years. the 20 vartarg, 223, and 22-250ai do shot reguarly. i think i was 10 or 11 when i got my 22 bolt action(marlin 25?) and i got to shoot it like a kid in a candy store. the first thing you do is read the manual, twice, maybe thrice, or even fourirce( i'm kidding, but read it). and just remember, when you pull the trigger, make sure its what you are aiming at.

My son is a broke @$$ college kid at Virginia Tech so he went with a Savage .243 and a Nikon Prostaff 3x9-40. Its a nice shooting set up and doesn't break the bank. It kills a deer just as dead as a 30-06 and is a little cheaper to shoot. Something to keep in mind

Back