Competition Question

I agree with weshoot...

just go to a local match....

one of your first post's said that you were looking for a little training....

idpa and any other competition is a game and only a game.

with that said, any time you send lead down range your one step ahead of the bad guy you might run into on the street.

as far as running and what not...if you come in dead last, does it matter? as long as you are improving from match to match who cares where you place?

Most idpa matches don't really require much movement anyways.

if you get a procedural that's 3 sec. added to your time.
just shoot 6 points less down than the others and you will be even with them...

sno

NQS,

I think your biggest handicap right now is not having a gun (what's an NAA?) and the money required for enough ammo to be "good" with it (poor student). First and foremost, you'll need a handgun!

That being said, around here (Southern New England) there are a lot of local bowling pin shoots (man v. man) that require no running or kneeling, and are a heck of a lota fun. There are the occasional steel plate shoots as well, some for rifle/shotgun/pistol. Usually costs around $5 to enter.

Somewhere along the line, your going to have to get in contact with clubs in your area, and find out who's shooting what, and just take that leap of faith, and participate! All the people I've met over the years have been more than helpful, and will nake a Newbie feel comfortable and welcomed.

good luck to ya'
Russ

NQS,

I think your biggest handicap right now is not having a gun (what's an NAA?) and the money required for enough ammo to be "good" with it (poor student). First and foremost, you'll need a handgun!

this is the NAA model I have:

mmt.jpg

The ammo is teh easy part. with reloading I can strech that part of the budget (no, don't save, but do spend less per round)

NQS

NQS,

Folks near here have a non-IPSC, non-IDPA tactical handgun match going. It isn't a very competitive game (first prize is bragging rights only), but is mostly just real-life prep in a fun environment.

There is usually some running and some kneeling, but speed is usually the least important part of a stage. Plus, they don't tell you, 'kneel here, and shoot that.' They tell you, 'solve the problem.' If the problem for you would normally include not being able to kneel behind cover, and you'll just have to take that into account as you solve the stage. Stages aren't usually timed, but you can't be exposed to the BG (target) more than 2 seconds or you flunk the stage.

All stages are pass/fail, except that there is usually one tiebreaker stage which may include a par time. If you didn't solve it the way he was expecting, but can convince the match director that you solved the stage 'better' than the solution he had in mind when he set it up, you'll get a pass. If not, you won't. (Hey, real life isn't fair, either. Shrug.)

The gamesters usually go elsewhere, finding our non-competitive competition just too doggone stressful.

Cost is around $15/match, plus ammo (less than 100 rounds). Equipment is whatever you ordinarily carry. No special 'race guns' and no gazillion-round mags. No major/minor categories, but some allowances generally made for 5 shots. Last time we had one guy show up sporting homemade cardboard-and-duct-tape mag pouches. (They worked just fine.)

You may or may not be able to find a similarly low-key 'competition' in your area, but it sounds to me as if something like it would fit the bill.

If not, you could get together with some buddies and start one. :)

pax

I think there should be a rule in Scrabble that if you can seduce or kill your opponent with all seven of your letters, then you win the game. -- Rob Fairchild

I'd suggest finding a local range (preferably outdoor where you have full flexibility in target setup and stuff)...go and shoot..meet other folks... try out various competitions..

My wife and I routinely practive drills that don't require much in the way of moving around (bill drill, fig 8 and the like). Good practice.

Back