Competition gun research

Out of all your options listed, my vote would also be for the M&P. I really like the CZ's for competition because of the all steel frame, however the da/sa will hurt you in the long run.

Strick's advice is right on the money. He is obviously a very good shooter and a student of the game.

If you go to a match ask the guys around you to see their guns. I dint know anybody that wouldn't jump at the chance to show off their gear. Heck if you do it after a match most guys will toss you a mag and so you can shoot it and see how great their trigger and sights are too.

Try to put your hands on the guns.
STI
M&P9 L or Pro
CZ75B
Glock 34/35
XDM9/40

The most popular gun in uspsa is easily a STI double stack style. 2nd Glock 34/35 followed by the M&P9. The M&P is going to give Glock a run for that 2nd place spot once they get an M&P40 Pro for the Limited and L10 divisions.

The only other advice someone needs to give you is that after you shoot 3-4 matches and decide to get serious in the sport get a competition training class under your belt ASAP. With 2 days of solid training your practice time will be headed in the right direction much faster.
I have taken Mike Seeklanders Competition Pistol Course up at USSA in Tulsa. I just took Phil Strader's competition pistol class in OKC area a few weeks ago. Both guys are excellent shooters and teachers. Phils class is a bit cheaper right now because he just getting his new Straighter Solutions training deal off the ground. I have also taken a competitive 3 gun course with Kurt Miller and Trapr Swonson from Red Neck Tactical. These guys are greatcwuth a pistol and even better with a shotgun and rifle. They will be teaching some classes in the OKC area later this year as well.

While the STI line looks like some really nice guns, they quickly accelerate out of my price range. Not saying it wouldn't be an option after a year or so of competition, just not at this point. I have seen the M&P 9 in the $450 range. I would love to have a M&P 9L or Pro which would bump the cost up a bit. Thanks for all the great info guys, it has been a great help!

You can find slightly used 9pro's on the Brian Enos forums classifieds regularly. They usually run $450-500 used and often times come with extra mags and/or mag pouches and upgraded sights. I sold mine to a buddy for $400.

If you buy new get the 9L. Here's why. The 9L is $50 less than the Pro and its the same gun as the pro except for the sights and the trigger. Even though the sights and trigger are slightly better in the pro series they are no where near as good as the Warren or Dawson sights nor is the better trigger anywhere close to as good as a custom trigger job from somebody that specializes in M&P's like Accurate Iron.
So save $50 on the 9L vs. the pro and spend that $50 later on to get your $100 sights and $100 trigger job.

That is excellent advice on the M&P. I picked up my Pro on Enos with a holster and 8 mags for $700 shipped last year.

I still like the CZ or Witness better though. :D

Strick, I'm sure the round count is getting up there on that pro! I am assuming it was used! Any problems yet?

I am not sure how many went through it before I bought but I have put a "few" down range.

I have had the typical Pro problem with extraction, every 100 rounds or so it would leave the case in the chamber. Just about everybody I know that has a Pro has had the problem. I have not heard of the same problem happening with other M&P's though.

The M&P is a good gun and served me well all last year but switching to a different platform instantly improved my results. That is just a personal thing though, every shooter is different.

There is a guy selling a couple M&P Pros on Enos now.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112581

He is also selling $20 magazines.

That extractor problem was in all the early M&P Pros. Both mine and my buddies gun had it. They have remedied the problem and it's an easy fix now in the old ones but i can't for the life of me remember what it was exactly.

I'm tempted to offer $400 for that 10,000 round 9L and then buy all the mags.

Back