Competition gun research

"JJ"

I am just a bit curious as to what guns you guys use (manufacture, caliber, barrel length & capacity) and why.

To get started in USPSA, I will just use my factory S&W SW9VE I have now.
I know not much of a competition gun but it is what I have.

But I want to see how I like competition shooting before I invest a wad of cash!

Some of the ones I was looking at were the:
S&W M&P9
S&W S&D9
CZ 75B
Beretta 92FS

I will admit I am a bit partial to S&W!

I know those of you who have "race guns" have a LOT invested in your guns.
I am looking at competing in limited division.
I want to compete with my carry or HD handgun.

I am open to all suggestions and experiences!
Thanks!!

I will just use my factory S&W SW9VE I have now.

Smart move, that will get you into USPSA/IPSC Production with no problem.

If you want to move up to Limited you need a .40 cal for Major Power Factor and the biggest magazine possible. The STI Edge is probably the most popular in the Division. There are some Glocks set up for Limited. A S&W Plastic M&P Pro .40 would be good if you could get a "big stick" magazine for it at the maximum 141 mm length.

The magazine factor would be simplified by entering Limited-10. There are a LOT of decent guns for that. A CZ-75 Tactical Sport is a very nice gun.

I shot my service length M&P 40 in limited for a while before moving to my race gun.

The M&P I made very competitive in Limited division by getting some stuff from

www.speedshooterspecialties.com

The guy focuses on S&W stuff.

I can't stress enough that you don't have to have a race gun to be competitive in Limited. Just ask Dave Sevigny or Bob Vogel.

I will just use my factory S&W SW9VE I have now.
I know not much of a competition gun but it is what I have.

Sounds like you answered you question. Shoot the Sigma and spend other money on rounds down range.

I'm a firm believer in shooting what you carry in action type matches. If I was Monark of the Western Hemisphere, I would make it a law that all cops had to compete with their service revolver/pistol. Same with any who carry concealed.

I carry a 642 but there arnt many matches for those little stubbies. Close as I can come is I shoot a Model 64 in ICORE matches. Still, next time I might try it with my 642, or at least pay the extra $3 to shoot a second gun.

No way I can be completive, but I bet it teaches me to shoot my pocket pistol better.

Jim gave you some good advice and I believe you are doing the smart thing by using what you now have to see if you like competitive shooting or not.
By the way if you need any gear I have a lot of used items such as mag pouches, holsters and belts at some very good prices.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Great info & links guys!

Another question.
Do you have to shoot major power factor to shoot limited?
Isn't there a minor there also?

I was thinking I could shoot limited so I could use my 16rd mags.
Which aren't allowed in production, right?

Before I get scorned for not reading the rules, I did!!:confused:
I read all the match rules at USPSA.
Some of the things I assumed I understood.
We all know what assuming does!!:rolleyes:
I would rather have it confirmed than show up with the intention to shoot & be told otherwise.

I still want to know what others are shooting!!
Keep'em coming!!
Thanks again for the help!

Sure, you can shoot minor power factor in any USPSA Division. Won't matter if you can shoot all As at full speed. If.

All calibers are scored minor in Production.

But in production I can't load over 10 rds right? I think I will be ok in limited, its not like I am expecting to win the competition. I will be in competition with myself. I just hope to improve a bit each time! Thanks again for the help!

Yes, and in Limited (not Production) I will shoot 19+1 in my G-35 in Major (3lb trigger) and at 62 years old in some courses can beat you. You shoot minor in Limited you will get moved to the back of the line. I also have a Para 16-40 with a Schumann barrel inletted .1 inch that will do 20 rounds of .40Cal at 10MM Length 200Gr bullets with a 2lb trigger that easily will make 165 PF with Fiber Optic Front Sights and a Ghost Ring Rear Site.

Well I got to handle the 4 guns I mentioned today at the Dallas Gun Show.
All of them feel & look nice!
I like the grip & ergonomics on the M&P & S&D.
The S&D has a lot better price.

The CZ & Beretta both were nice as well, but like I said in the begining,
I"m a bit partial to S&W!!

The grip on the M&P was what I had heard all the fuss about.
I guess it goes to show ya...
...different strokes for different folks!!:D

The SD is basically the same as your Sigma. Save you money. The M&P is a step up in gun. If you like polymer pistols then look at the Springfield XDM.

I am not sure I would go with the SD for a competition gun anyway.
BUT, it is similar to my Sigma only in the ergonomics.

1)It has a completely different & better trigger.
The new SDT "Self Defense Trigger!!
Some members have claimed better than the M&P.

2)Tritium Front Night Sight & the sights are the same as M&P so I assume can be interchanged.

3)Picatinny-Style Rail. Not the Sigma only rail.

4)Agressive front(?) & rear slide serrations.
* Not sure why a gun needs front slide serrations.

5)The grip has front and back strap texturing making it feel different than the Sigma & M&P.

I like the M&P better all the way around, except the price!;)

I do agree with you here though.
The M&P is a step up in gun.

Thanks for the input!!

I think the best gun is an S_I double stack type custom built gun which I plan to purchase as a reward to myself when I get bumped into A class next year.

For the time being I shoot a G34 in Production, S&W 625 in revo, G17 w/slide ride STS in open, G35 & G24 in limited and L10. I also have a G34 built like limited gun that I use for 3 gun.

I had a M&P9 pro and an XDM9 and my G34 when I first started. I choose the glock because it shot the best for me.

All of my Glocks have been stippled, triggers done, undercut trigger guards, beavertails Dawson sights, magwells etc installed professionally by Mike Cyrwus at Accurate Iron.
If you go the M&P route he can make this triggers almost 1911 like.

Last edited:
I think you are on the right track starting with what you own. Get in and get your feet wet before you decide what you want to buy so you will have a frame of reference on what division and and what type of gun you are interested in.

Personally if I would not be scared away from production if I was you. Limited is fun since you have a lot of rounds but after a few matches you will get frustrated if you like to compete and are shooting minor.

Also find some IDPA clubs in your area as well and shoot what you have in SSP or ESP.

AS far as the guns you are looking to buy......I competed with a M&P Pro all last year and it is a good platform. I also use a CZ 75B for IDPA and it is a fantastic gun for the price. The CZ has a good amount of parts available to customize them if you want also.

The big thing when just getting into it is don't spend a ton of money until you know what you want, have a bunch of fun, and be safe.

Great info! I couldn't find a IDPA with in 100 miles from me! The USPSA is about 20 miles away in the next town so it will have to do for now. Now help me out here. The difference I saw between major & minor was I think a "B" hit score of 4 & 3 respectively. Is there more advantage to shooting major?

The difference is just the scoring

Major Minor
5 A 5
4 B 3
4 C 3
2 D 1

You can have a good time and still compete shooting minor but if you really get into it you may find that dropping points for the same hits as others, because you are shooting minor, frustrating. Plus if you are only loading 15 rounds then you are also disadvantaged. Many if not most Limited shooters are loading 20+ rounds.

In production everybody shoots minor.

So not a problem, I'll just shoot all "A"s!!:D:rolleyes: Cool deal, I will look further into the production class. Is it ok to use the 16rd mags & just load 10rds?

Back