Comparisons of 45 acp and 357 as a sidearm? Need help choosing.

cal49m

Inactive
Considering a model 625 or one of the 357 models as a backup sidearm to a SG. Is one a better choice over another if proficincy is equal? Or is it an even choice? I know it is an individual thing influenced by other factors but I would like to hear some opinions.
BTW i have a 1911. And what are moon clips anyway? Thanks.

The easiest answer to your question is: Try to shoot them both, then get the one that works for YOU. Others opinions are valid reference points, but it's still "which one works for you?" My personal lean would be toward 357. (somethin' about having a wheelgun, it's just my choice)
Moon clips are a version of a speed loader.

Having carried both a 625 and a 627 I would vote for the .357 Mag. Of course the 625 I carry is chambered in .45 Colt and the 627 is an eight shot Performance Center gun. Given the choice of six or eight sort of balances it out. Besides the .45 Colt with serious loads is a bit of a handful for second shot recovery times.

Many authorities consider the .45 ACP the best self-defense round. It is big and so will necessarily create a big hole. But its velocity is low so it has moderate recoil--this allows the shooter to quickly get back on target for the second and subsequent shots. The low velocity also reduces the chance of overpenetration. There isn't much muzzle flash, so you don't get blinded when shooting in low light.

The .357 is a smaller, hotter round. You are therefore likely to get a smaller hole, especially when firing from a short-barreled revolver. The recoil is stiff and there is a great deal of muzzle flash from many types of ammo. The 45 is an auto round; the .357 comes out of revolvers. So you must get into the whole auto vs. revolver debate, often discussed on gun lists and groups. Each type of firearm has powerful advantages and disadvantages when compared to each other.

I go for the .45, although I also have and sometimes carry .357 revolvers.

Drakejake

The merits of the cartridges can be augued forever. Both have advantages and both are great.

If you are considering buying new Smith, please read the link. http://www.nraila.org/FactSheets.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=31&1=View
Before makin the purchase.

Since you already own a 1911, if it is in .45 ACP you have the backup covered. Lots of time to make the wheelgun decision. Do your research and play with as many as you can get your hands on.

Sam.

I carry them both. Either is a valid selfdefense round.
I have a quirk that When I,m on the road I carry a primary .357 gun. Something to do with auto body penitration.
When in the city I carry a 1911. Thinner package.
I do have a little secret though:cool: . I also have a Coonan .357 1911 style auto. Either the Coonan or my md.27 are my road gun. Both have five inch barrels.

Every other caliber in production is trying to match the balistics of both of these in a slimmer,lighter,smaller gun. Some have come close but none have succeeded yet. The search continues...

Cheers,

ts

I use to carry a 3" 625 on duty. the full moon clips are in my opinion the fastest reload available for a revolver. I "doubled up" with the full moon clips--this allowed me to carry two full moon clips (200 gr hp)stacked on top of each other in each barrel of my dbl speedloader pouch (24 rds total).
Full-moon clips are flat pieces of steel that hold 6 rounds of ammo by the rim---much like a speed loader. The difference is that the entire unit is loaded so you do not have to twist knobs--just line it up and drop it in. After firing, the entire unit is ejected with the six empties still attached to the moon clip. I had a home-made tool to extract the hulls from the moon clip. The disadvantage of the moon clips are that they can become bent or warped and cause binding on cylinder rotation. The good news is that they are inexpensive and you can get alot of shooting out of them if you do not step on them. The only other disadvantage of them that I can think of is that there is no tatical reload of firing two or three rounds and then reloading from shell loops (ancient history--I know......). It is a very good system and extremely fast. The accuracy, atleast in my revolver, was very good.
The .357 mag? Still as far as I know of the #1 fight stopper available.

It comes down to a personal preference. Both rounds will make somebody say ouch! I have an N frame Mod 27 and a Colt 1911 series 70 Gold Cup. I have to be honest and say they are both great. IMHO it is a win win either way!

Well,... the 625 current production is chambered only in .45 acp (according to my *&* 2001 catalog). I have shot both calibers, and will go the .45 acp way. Less recoil, less muzzle flash, bigger hole, slower velocity, so it is easier to recover.
Proficiency always plays a important roll; as it is a well placed shot what gets the *job* done, not the gun or the bullet, (they just help). I think a small 1911 frame will get you what you are looking for.

Good luck.

Just my $0.00000002

I'm with Drakejake.

Bigger holes and last time I checked, only Superman can run faster than 900 fps.

And 45 ACP gives the capability to go semi-auto or revolver. There are some nice 700 fpe rounds out there in 45 ACP.

Do your research, but even some hot +P+ 9mm rounds out of a SW 940 snubby can outperform the .357 mag rounds around.

Now a SW 610 with a 4 inch barrel would be a great home defense gun in 10mm.

All in all, its your house, you choose.

My two favorite calibers. I own and fire quite a few of both. Without question, both are highly effective, proven and readily available. Since I am not fond of moon-clips, I tend to favor .357 magnum/.38 Special revolvers. Another advantage of the .357 mag revolver is the ability to fire plentiful, inexpensive, and very versatile .38 Special loads for plinking, practice, and even personal defense.

Drakejake

Both the best 45 acp loads and the best 357 mag loads have about the same stopping power. As for holes they are also simmular because both loads expand to .65 to .75 depedning on the load. The 357 has a much larger stretch cavity than the 45 with most loads. In a revolver of equal weight the recoil is simular between the 2 rounds.
PAT

Here's my take on the situation. Both caliber's
are excellent for various thing's:

Personal Protection- .45ACP
Home Defense- Either
Handgun Hunting- .357Magnum
Competition- Both
Fishing Companion- .357Magnum
Glove Box Weapon- Your Choice

When all is said and done, either caliber should
get the job done; if you do your part. As has been
said and debated, "shot placement is paramount to
the weapon's caliber".

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Ronin 99

The great thing is you can have both. You can get a 357 mag performance in the 357 sig from a semi auto or you can strap on a 625 with 45 auto ammunition in the cylinder.
PAT

A lot of sensible advice here. I doubt I'll go wrong with either choice after I make my list of pros and cons. I'm still not clear on using moon clips though. If I don't have one can I still load and empty the cylinder easily? Having to use moonclips sounds like a con for the mod 625.

Cal 49, in the 625 in .45ACP you need the moon clips to eject. Otherwise you are going to be poking brass out with a pencil. Either use the moon clips as designed (they make GREAT speedloaders anyway) or use .45 Auto Rim brass. Either will work fine. The 627PC guns also use moon clips for .357 Mag, but since that is a rimmed cartridge it CAN be used quite well without the clips. Ejection works fine.

I have both and they serve their purpose equally well. I prefer to carry my 45 whenever I can but it is easier to conceal a small 357.

No doubt of the effectivness of either.
BUT--- are you a experienced handgunner?
I mean have you started at the beginning and practiced with low recoil ammo and then progressed to more powerful.
I am not attempting to indimidate you but rather than to just jump into either caliber before you master either would be counter productive. I have been helping civilian handgunners for decades and they all do well and progress into whatever caliber they want to.
Don Mallard

Back