Combo gun that also supports two rifle or two shotgun barrels?

serveimage

The drilling's and vierling's are nice if you have a gunbearer! In Europe the 16 gauge was popular because it reduced the weight of these guns. The single shotgun and rifle combos were also popular for being lighter guns. They were called bockbuchsflinte. All three types are still used in Europe.

I have two of the combo guns. A Sabbiti 12 gauge over 6.5X57R, double trigger with 26" barrels. It a beautiful gun with engraved side panels, its only draw back is the barrels are completely soldered and can not be regulated like the Valmet/Tikka/Marrochi's.

I like my Valmet 412 because I can zero my scope for the shotgun pattern at 40 yards and then regulate the rifle barrel to hit where the scope is aimed at 100 yards. It also has a lite crisp trigger. The barrels are 23.5", a bit on the short side, but very useable. My 12ga loads are Federal Gold Metal hulls, 2 3/4". Loaded to 1 1/4 oz. with 60 BBB lead shot at 1385 fps. These will place 8 to 14 pellets in a 10" paper plate at 40 yards. The .223 rem barrel shoots 55 gr bullets at sub MOA.

The Valmet 412's come up for sale occasionally in online auctions. Valmet also made this system for Savage years ago called Savage/Valmet, 330 and 2400. The 330's were o/u shotguns and the 2400's were combo guns. The barrels can be used on either receivers. There is a 2400, 12ga over 22HP, https://www.gunbroker.com/item/804127171 currently on gunbroker for $700.00. And A Valmet 412, 12 ga over 22HP, https://www.gunbroker.com/item/816108123, for $900.00. Which are good prices for a combo varmint gun. The combo barrels come in many different calibers. More common calibers bring higher prices.

Last edited:
I have handled and shot a few drillings - most were pre war made, post war bring backs that handled and shot very well; I handled, but did not shoot, 1 vierling which was also 16 gauge x 2, plus 22 hornet (IIRC) and a 8x57R (again, IIRC)
It was surprising light and well balanced, albeit the barrels were good for rifle and a tad short for shotgun - about 24" (whatever the metric equal is)

If you take a drilling with 2 shotgun barrels and a rifle barrel and use the adapter to make one shotgun barrel for .22lr, you have a .22, a 20/16/12, and you have a big game centerfire on the order of a 7 or 8 mm R cartridge. While afield, you can hunt rabbits, birds and bar/stag sized animals with one gun..........
Not a shabby arrangement

BRNO made an over under that could be had with multiple gauge shotgun barrels and multi caliber rifle barrels. These were popular in countries that restricted the number of firearms that could be owned as it only constituted one firearm regardless of how many barrel sets you owned. After the fall of the iron curtain they were imported into this country for several years as single gauge/caliber guns or as sets with multiple barrels. As a tribute to Check ingenuity the gun was nice looking with quality wood and was completely user serviceable and solid as a rock. The guns and barrels still show up on gunbroker. Interesting that any set of barrels will fit any frame with no fitting required.

Interesting that any set of barrels will fit any frame with no fitting required.

Interestingly enough, modern Blaser shotgun barrels will interchange and "drop in" with no additional fitting required.

Unusual that they charge extra for double triggers, is that what you want? I don't know of anything around here that something off their caliber list would not handle.

Honestly, I'm not sure. Probably have to shoot both to decide. To me, "double rifle" means Africa, which means .375 H&H at a minimum. Didn't see anything that large in their list.

I have a Valmet 412, 12 gauge 3" over .223 Rem for coyote calling. Great gun!

The Valmets and their Tikka cousins are vastly under-rated, IMO

Good to hear from someone with actual experience! That makes me a lot more confident about the gun. I'll watch out for one on gunbroker. It's not a huge need, but an O/U shotgun/double rifle/elk/grouse gun would be nice. And my wife hunts in Germany, so it might be a good fit for her.

Thanks for all the replies!

Combo gun that also supports two rifle or two shotgun barrels?
Does such a beast exist?
Of course they exist. People who live in countries where it is difficult to obtain permits to own more than one or two firearms used to favor combination guns because the permits denote a firearm as the receiver, not the barrels. You don't see very many of them because they are heavy, expensive, and typically must be special ordered. One of my customers sent me a Beretta 3-barrel set (20 ga O/U, 30-06 O/U, and 20 ga over 30-06) for stock work. The firearm cost almost as much as my Toyota 4Runner cost. Each barrel set must be fabricated, ranged and calibrated, fit to the receiver, fit to forearm wood and metal, and finished. At about $8000 per barrel set, it can add up kinda fast.

I know, next question is "why do they have to be so expensive?".

Back