Combination guns. Would you? Why/Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wanting a Savage/Stevens O/U forever. Every one I've seen in the flesh is priced high ($400 on up), for the condition. One of these days the sas will align and a Model 24 will present itself (along with an Ithica Featherlight, a Savage Model 99 and on and on).

Kcub, I had a 24F .22 Hornet over 12ga that was my perfect Florida turkey gun. The .22 hornet was NOT accurate - I'm talking about 3+moa with factory ammo but for the purposes I wanted it for (just in case a hog or coyote stepped out when I was turkey hunting) it was OK.

However, I had to sell it when I moved to MS. Possession of a rifle during turkey season would get you in serious legal trouble here - as it would in many states. Only a paraplegic gets to use a rifle on turkeys here.

I was given a low priced .22 mag over .410, I frankly didn't have a lot of expectations for it.
It ended up as "the house piece with a .22 mag shot shell & a .410 rifled slug load.
:eek:
I think it was a NEF, Ivor Johnson, or one of the other low end factories, but let me tel you something, that was the nicest pointing gun I ever owned.

Its what in The U.K. would have been called a "poacher's special" because broken apart it could be dropped down inside baggy pants legs with string & quickly assembled for use.
;)

multi-barrel guns

A reference note about terminology (though I am pretty sure that most people are gonna keep calling any multi-barrel combination gun a drilling).
Technically a "Drilling" has three barrels...two shotgun barrels and a rifle barrel either below the shotgun barrels (a true Drilling) or above the double barrels (a Schienendrilling). There are also two rifle barrels over a shotgun barrel (a Doppelbuchsdrilling) or two rifle barrels stacked under a shotgun barrel (a Bockdrilling).
Drilling = SXS with a rifle barrel below.
Not gonna change anything, I know.
The common o/u single rifle barrel and shotgun barrel is a Bockbuchsflinte.
Pete
PS: I had the thought that the multi barrel guns common in Europe were a function of the fact that it is much more difficult to own a gun of any type in much of the Old World, hence having one gun that can do a number of tasks is desirable.
Vierling = four barrels (two shotgun barrels and two different rifle barrels.)

Good for:

People on a budget. The venerable Savage 24 is perhaps the most available and they are sturdy.

People who are limited to the # of fyre-arms they may own. I'm thinking Wife-unit says, "No" to more fyre-arms. Europeans face limits to by their government so they have to get the most versatile fyre-arm for their Euros. The Germans have a lot of twillings or drillings.

People who face possible wilderness survival. You can harvest either big game or fowl with one. It's better than throwing rocks or sticks at games to bring them down.

Kodiak Double Rifle

"The best drilling for me would be percussion cap with .50 cal and 12 or 16 gage."

Check out the Pederoli Kodiak DOUBLE Rifles...

Without researching, over the years I think it has been available in .50X.50, .54X.54, .58X.58, .72X.72, 12X12, .50X12 and .58X12...

Think the 12g is a muzzleloader also...

T.

Last edited:
I have a Savage 24V with a .223R barrel over 12g.

Also have auxiliary barrels adapters for both 20g and .410...

The use of chamber inserts in the .223R barrel allows the use of .22 S/L/LR and the Magnum insert allows the use of .22 WRF and .22 Magnum ammunition...

"People who face possible wilderness survival. You can harvest either big game or fowl with one. It's better than throwing rocks or sticks at games to bring them down."

That is one of the reasons for my Savage 24, a couple boxes of .22, a handful of .223R (or reduced reloads), maybe a few boxes of shot plus some buckshot and slugs would take care of us for quite a while and not take much room in my suitcase/bag/survival kit...

Also great for carrying on the way down to the ponds to go fishing...

Pretty well able to take care of any vermin/pest you come across and give you something to do if the fishing is slow!

T.

I had a Stevens version of the Savage 24, 22 LR over 3" 20 ga., for a few years. I shudda kept that gun. I called it the perfect "pot hunters" gun. (For PJP and others who may not know, "pot hunting" refers to just hunting for something to put in the pot.) I loved it for squirrel hunting when the deer season was open. I had a 22 rifle for the squirrels, and load the shotgun barrel with high brass No 6's for those running shots through the trees. Keep a handful of three inch Number 2 buckshot shells handy in case a deer was to walk up. It was easy and quiet to simply break the gun, and swap shells.

Mind you a deer never did walk up, but the the theory was sound.

"The best drilling for me would be percussion cap with .50 cal and 12 or 16 gage."

My grandfather had an OLD percussion double that had a rifle barrel on one side, and a shotgun barrel on the other. No idea who made it, or how old it was but it was old when I was a kid. I suppose my uncle has it now.

the combo guns were mildly popular here, with the "prepper" croud, & since often they can't be used for hunting anything here ( except for small game ) in most of the US, the 22 LR, 22 Hornet, & 223 are what I see most often, paired with either a .410 or 20 ga. bore... I've never had one, though I own many single shot rifles & shotguns...

it's possible in more gun restrictive countries, where citizens might be only allowed one gun, it offeres greater versatility

does anyone remember the TV marketed pocket fisherman???

well... here is my "pocket hunter"... an old H&R folding shotgun, the barrel is trimed to match the stock length with a good recoil pad added ( it's still at a legal length ) dura coated for corrosion resistance, a fiber optic bead added, as well as an adjustable poly -choke, & a detachable flashlight... mount & light...

the whole package fits in a pool cue bag, that had pockets enough to carry 7-8 of each kind of shell... lead shot, steel shot, buck shot, & slugs, all in a neat little package, that I keep in my truck, ready for what ever hunting might be the choice of the day...

Last edited:
I think the drilling works in European driven hunts. You never know whats going to get kicked up but you can handle anything.

Nice folding shotgun, there, MWM!

Mine does not quite fold down that far and is a 16g. I like it though.

(For PJP and others who may not know, "pot hunting" refers to just hunting for something to put in the pot.)

Are you, sir, inferring that I am not up to speed with Virginian vernacular?! How very dare you!! :D

At least it wasn't what I thought you meant: I couldn't understand why you'd need a shotgun to harvest controlled substances!

At least it wasn't what I thought you meant: I couldn't understand why you'd need a shotgun to harvest controlled substances!

Now you see. This is how rumors get started. ;) :D

If you're going to be harvesting "controlled substances", you had BETTER bring a shotgun. And all your friends with their shotguns.

One check of a combination would be am accurate 22 or 22 hornet riding a 3 inch 12 gauge chamber. That twelve gauge round could stomp a bear flat. The .22 would be handy for many things.

I don't think that it's useful for hunting, so much as general utility. Think about running a trap line.

"it's possible in more gun restrictive countries, where citizens might be only allowed one gun, it offeres greater versatility"
I don't know if it was qty (1), but I thought this was specifically why the drilling/vierling/funfling/etc craze swept the Germanic regions in the first place. A five-barrel gun is pretty pointless in any situation, unless it's the only gun you are allowed to have.

Also, multi-barrel break actions are among the more technically difficult bespoke gunsmithing feats, and the Germans have this 'thing' about technically difficult craftsmanship. A needlessly heavy & expensive gun covered in precisely aligned barrels, hand-fitted extractors, ejectors, levers, gears, sighting schemes, and of course, fine engraving, was right up their alley.

TCB

Oddly enough there's no real limit on hunting guns you can buy in Germany - once you got the hunting license. It's the latter part that's tricky.

Oddly enough there's no real limit on hunting guns you can buy in Germany

Well, there is. It's called the price!!

Guns are pretty steep all over Europe. By example, the combinations guns I've seen are over €2000, which comes to about $2300. That is probably cheaper than buying a decent shotgun and a decent rifle, though!

But was there not a limit in the old days in which these guns were actually made, though? I'm talking pre-WWI Prussia and such.

TCB

i have a new savage m42 22wmr/410. i got it because i like those calibers, have a bond arms derringer and ruger single six. also because it is ok going up to canada, properly declared of course, and makes a decent "non high capacity" trunk gun, properly secured of course, in a people's republic state. it is quite ok but not in my top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back