combat revolver

QUOTE]Oh yeah -- How is it better than a semiauto? I'm not sure it is, but a few ideas: draw and fire (no safeties to swipe); not ammo sensitive; may stand neglect (not abuse!) for longer periods, i.e. lack of lubrication, presence pocket or holster lint, etc.[/QUOTE] this sounds like the reasons I carry my Glock

SW627pc, how do you carry it?

Well my normal carry piece is a five inch 627PC. Eight rounds, .357 Mag., fast reloads (moonclips). And interchangeable front sight, including both tritium and fiber optics. Some folks would prefer the 2.5 inch barrel but I like the five.

Is that the "Miculek" model and how do you carry it? Vertical shoulder rig?

PS5

My relatives and friends who put 20-30 years in various big city PD's or the military thought that a Smith Model 10 with 4 inch bbl was an ideal combat revolver.

My brother put 30 in a big city and to this day carries his Model 10. Never let him down.

My cousin put 20 in NYPD's 100th Pct and now works for a small department down south. Still uses his .38 cal Smith six shooter.

My other cousin carried a 2 inch Colt snubbie as a backup when he was in Special Forces in VN. That was an exception though.

A guy on my gun club, a fantastic shooter, who worked for NYNJPA police swears by his .38. Had a chance to use it on 10th Ave once. Put 6 shots into a BG across the avenue as the BG exited a liquor store he had just shot up.

In summary, a blue steel .38 with 4 inch bbl is a good starting point for a combat revolver.

"Is that the "Miculek" model and how do you carry it? Vertical shoulder rig?

PS5"

Mine is the original or first version, the five inch with the "sculpted" or slab sided barrel. Carried IWB with a good belt (did have to special order the holster though ;) ). Replaced the stock grips (which I hated anyway) with Eagle Secret Service in smooth rosewood. Find it conceals quite nicely. But then I am also six foot and around 225.

SW627pc

Find it conceals quite nicely. But then I am also six foot and around 225.

Thanks for the info. I have seen that particular model on the Lew Horton web site. Wouldn't work for me on a belt, I'm a small guy. Terrific gun though.

PS5

"...what exactly seperates a regular revolver
from a combat revolver?"

A revolver that has been used in combat is a combat revolver. All others are made to act/function as someones ideal.

-Wheelgun

Might consider how well any quality design in a workable calibre takes speedloaders (as a 'combat' revolver) or the moon clip equivalent. On that basis could be anything from a SW,Colt,Taurus,Ruger to a Webley. Although the Nagant/Lebel/Colt SAA/Adams were certainly 'combat' revolvers, very hard to recharge. So if the grips, the pattern of the cylinder chambers, or the action type compromise that...maybe not a combat revolver (tell that to the Russians) Although with their recent break top .357, if it's put together well...be one cool 'combat revolver...Webley ease of loading, American calibre. With that I'll quit, repeatedly typing 'combat revolver' will give me gunrag nightmares.

S&W Model 586 w/6" barrel. That is definitely a combat revolver, came out of the box with a 'trigger job'.

Follow up post:

Really, I have two great revolver's that I would consider as
good, quality "combat revolver's". Those being as follows:

a) Smith & Wesson model 629-5 Classic .44 Magnum- fully
lugged with a 5" barrel, and

b) Smith & Wesson model 686-5 Distinguished Combat
Magnum in .357 caliber. Uh, I guess the name says in
all doesn't it?

As you know, both have adjustable sight's and Hogue's
Monogrip's installed at the factory. And both shoot equally
as well.

Regards,