combat revolver

speed

I hear the term combat revolver often,what exactly seperates a regular revolver from a combat revolver?
What are some examples of well known C.R.'s?
How if in any way are they superior to a quality semi auto?

Okay, I'll bite! :)

My idea of a combat revolver begins with a harder-hitting cartridge than .38 Special, i.e. .357 Magnum.

Add a bobbed or semi-bobbed hammer and a trigger job.

Perhaps add a front nightsight. Rear sight is likely fixed.

Barrel length is 21/2 or 3 inches.

Maybe hardchromed or black matte.

Grips should be concealable but manageable; I prefer wood over rubber.

Six shots minimum. Perhaps the charge holes are chamfered.

Likely carried in an IWB holster, with a speed loader or speed strip(s).

Revolvers that come to mind are my S&W Model 19 (set up as above) or a Ruger SP, GP, or Speed Six series.

What have I left out?

Oh yeah -- How is it better than a semiauto? I'm not sure it is, but a few ideas: draw and fire (no safeties to swipe); not ammo sensitive; may stand neglect (not abuse!) for longer periods, i.e. lack of lubrication, presence pocket or holster lint, etc.

Well...

...a 3" round-butt Magnaported 629
...a 3" DAO, quad-ported, bobbed-hammer PC-13
...or a 5" tuned 625-4 could all be considered "combat revolvers". With the exception of the 625, none are really "target shooting revolvers", and none have the attributes of a real "hunting revolver". Heck, any little round-butt J-frame could be called a "combat revolver", if you consider fighting for your life against an armed assailant to be "combat"; I know I sure do!

The benefits of a Magnum-caliber combat wheelie are virtually guaranteed reliability ("six for sure"), no controls other than the trigger (no safety to deactivate, or forget to...), powerful calibers with impeccable anti-personnel credentials (.357, .41, and .44 Magnum, or .45 Colt), and reliable operation even when the weapon is in a pocket or in contact with a bad guy.

A Smith & Wesson or Colt 1917 army revolver that's been cut down to 3" with a trit sight dovetailed in. Converted to round-butt, of course. Smooth wood grips that follow the newly-formed backstrap yet fill in the void between the trigger guard and the gripframe. Bobbed hammer with the roller trigger option. Radiused trigger face. Sweetly chamfered charge holes. Forcing cone deburred. Parkerized finish with bake-on teflon over it.

Install the above revolver in the leather holster of your choice, drop three reloads into a vest pocket, and venture out into the world.

Callahan

I don't know where to find a picture, but Bill Jordan, who knew a bit about shooting, had a Model 19 made up as a combat revolver (though he didn't call it that), pretty much as described. I think he left the adjustable sight on but rounded it off. Of course, he was using an open holster carry, but I think the same idea would work for concealed. A good choice for the reasons mentioned, in spite of the now-common idea that God created the autoloader and Glock is His prophet.

Jim

Yes Tamara, I forgot about that lovely PC-13. May I suggest a standard S&W 3" HB Model 13 or Model 65 as the starting point for a hellcious 'combat revolver"?

3" or 2.5" version of these:
M13
M66
M19
M65
M686
M624
M657
M629

Round butt
Boot grips

I use the 3" M657:p

a USED smith mountain gun comes to mind, either a 44 loaded with 240's @ 800fps or the 45 colt with 255's at the same speed.

a USED smith mountain gun comes to mind, either a 44 loaded with 240's @ 800fps or the 45 colt with 255's at the same speed.

Funny you should mention that. I finally managed to get my hands on a pre-owned Mountain Gun in .45LC, and it's part of my new winter carry gun battery. Those speedloaders look like small hubcaps... :D

Greeting's All,

I guess my idea of a "combat revolver" would be
one of the following; having a barrel of 4":
a) S&W model 19,66, or 686 in .357 magnum caliber;
b) S&W model 29 or 629, 57 or 657 in .44 and .41
magnum caliber respectively; c) Ruger's Security-
Six and GP100 series; and d) a Colt Python. My
personal requirement's would include adjustable
sight's and Pachmayr rubber grip's. No night sight's; as my ole' eyes are too bad to pick them
up, during daylight hour's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Well my normal carry piece is a five inch 627PC. Eight rounds, .357 Mag., fast reloads (moonclips). And interchangeable front sight, including both tritium and fiber optics. Some folks would prefer the 2.5 inch barrel but I like the five.

OXYMORON -- BANNED MEDICINE?

My personal combat revolvers include: (2) 4" GP100's, one each 5.5" stainless Redhawk in 41 and 44 Magnum (Pachmayr Decelerators and Millett orange-ramp front sight blades), and my NAA 'always'.

Suggest not better than autos, just different (and yes, if I KNEW I would be facing 80,000 determined attackers I'd prefer a hi-cap 9mm).

--------------------------------------------

"all my handguns are combat handguns"

Oximoron = for getting zits off the faces of really dense people?

The M13 and the M19 are pretty close to the ideal combat handgun. The one gun I'll never part with is my Model 19 4" round butt. If it was good enough for Bill Jordan, it's good enough for me.

Funny thing is, for decades Navy combat aircrews were issued Smith Model 10 M&Ps (in .38 Special) as "combat revolvers". I agree with everyone re "real" combat revolvers, but the M&P is what we were given. Incidentally, during the Vietnam War, many carrier aviators carried personally owned Smith, Colt and Ruger revolvers or 1911A1s.

Most any quality DA wheel is capable of the task of personal defense. There are some who feel that a SA gun is also capable. Those who contend that probably ARE capable.:D For practical purposes though, Tamara is right. The long-barreled hunting guns, cowboy guns, derringers and such do not qualify.

Back