Colt Trooper .357 Go get it or leave it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaya8568

Inactive
Several years ago I had a Colt Trooper and was really pleased with the gun. It was well made and just felt good in my hand. I got rid of it and the guy still has it. Thinking about buying it back.

Not seen much on here about the Colt .357's What's your opinion on the Trooper?

Go get it or leave it be?

Hah. THAT'S a no brainer; If the guy hasn't butchered or otherwise abused it, go get it back. (I assume we're talking about an original Trooper? If not, disregard.

get it back

I have one and got it out a few weeks ago, almost forgot how nice it shoots and handles. Get it back, you won't regret it.

Last edited:
Oh yes, it is an original in excellent shape. What's their worth these days. The last Gun Value Book I've got is from the 1980's. Definately time to invest in a new one.

Both the 357 Magnum (Trooper) and the Trooper Mark III are very good revolvers. The Mark III is my preferred shooter. Guess it all depends on the price.

You may experience some sticker shock when you buy the current or the new Blue Book in April (2010 edition) as compared to the cost in the 80's.

I carried a Trooper MKIII for many years and hand loaded it and fired thousands of factory rounds through it and it is both tough and accurate. It is a great gun. After much use it is as smooth as any Python.

One like this?,,,

It's my personal fav of all of my handguns,,,

trooper-lr.jpg

This is the one pistol I would keep if I had to sell the rest,,,
Fits my hand like a glove and I hit with it,,,
Too fine to ever part with.

Aarond

I'll say to go get it-run, don't walk! Maybe this photo of my NIB 4" Trooper MK III .357, will help you to make up your mind!:
P1010772.jpg

I've got S&W N-frames, but I think my Trooper MkIII might be the strongest .357 I own. Way overbuilt for a .357, you could easily use it as a bludgeon for defense, much more so than any Smith I have. I need to get photos of it. It's also accurate as hell.

The old Colts are getting really expensive - I saw a Trooper MkIII like Boa's, but not is as good shape, selling for $750; I also saw an older Colt Trooper for $999.

Yes, the Trooper MK III's are very strong revolvers. Most folks know how strong an Smith and Wesson L-frame revolver is-and, an Ruger GP100 is even stronger. But, the Trooper MK III has been reported to be even stronger than both the L-frame and the GP100!:eek:

tailgunner6:

Hey, that is a beautiful Colt Trooper .357 you have there! I',ve been on the prowl for a long time looking for one in as nice of condition as yours! Was your ".357" NIB whenever you had purchased it? Well, it does look NIB to me right now?

Thanks boa2. Yeah, it was NIB when I bought it (or at least it bore no evidence it was fired other than at the factory that I could see) and it's still unfired. I was lucky to have found it because so many folks are unfamiliar with these first gen. E or I frame (I can never remember which) Troopers - most are familiar with the Mk. III version. I got it for $650 about 3 years ago. I got it to round out my I/E frame collection (not including Pythons, that's separate):

dsc02589v.jpg

OMM .38 Spl, Trooper .357 and Three-Fifty-Seven.

Last edited:
tailgunner6:

1)Thank you for posting the picture of your three beautiful Colt's-I'm impressed!

2)I'm curious about your Colt Model Three-Fifty-Seven? Has this gun been fired-or, fired much at all?

3)Although, I don't yet have a 6" Model Three-Fifty-Seven, I do have a new(Unfired)4" Three-Fifty-Seven, that I got from the original owner-and he had this gun lightly engraved, with a simple-yet, a nice design pattern. Mine is a 1960 vintage.

tailgunner6:

1)Thank you for posting the picture of your three beautiful Colt's-I'm impressed!

Thanks!!

2)I'm curious about your Colt Model Three-Fifty-Seven? Has this gun been fired-or, fired much at all?

The Three-Fifty-Seven may have been fired just a handful of times. It has hardly a trace of a turn line but the bluing is just about perfect. There's not a blemish on it. I've not fired it. I saw it on GA just after it was listed and bought it right away, $600 IIRC a year or so before I bought the Trooper. Like the Trooper, it also came with its original box and test target.

3)Although, I don't yet have a 6" Model Three-Fifty-Seven, I do have a new (Unfired) 4" Three-Fifty-Seven, that I got from the original owner-and he had this gun lightly engraved, with a simple-yet, a nice design pattern. Mine is a 1960 vintage.

I called Colt about mine a while ago and IIRC they quoted mine's a '61 or '62 (towards the end of their production run). These guns seemed to have come around in the last few years, folks are grabbing them as soon as they turn up. They're nice because they use the same lockwork as the Python. My preference is for 6" bbl, I like those proportions, but it seems that 4" guns tend to be more popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back