Colt Single Action Army

Thanks you all for looking at this and giving me your opinions. The gun is nice and smooth and the cylinder locks up very tight. My opinion when I looked at it was it started life as an early Colt and someone rebuilt it using a new barrel and cylinder and possibly back strap and hammer. The puzzling part was how sharp the patent numbers and the horse are being on a refinished frame. Not sure if there is someone out there who has the old stamps? At any rate I paid around 1600.00 for the gun and I bought it as a shooter. Not sure if I gave too much but they are hard to come by in this area.

Here are some pics of my Frontier Six Shooter, which is Colts name for their single action revolvers in 44WCF (.44-40). As you can see the barrel should say "Frontier Six Shooter" Even the earliest ones say that on the barrel, although the earliest versions just had rather lightly etched markings. The later ones are roll marked.

Your serial number is a puzzle and I certainly have no idea of why it was changed (if it was) or where it came from.

I had a gen 3 in 44-40 (stamped on side of barrel) and it was a Single Action Army (also stamped on the side of the barrel.

Jim

Howdy

I have two Second Gen Colts that do not have a circle around the Rampant Colt.

Second Gen Colt made in 1968

2nd%20Gen%20weathered_zpsn3dkzyvc.jpg

Second Gen Colt made in 1973

2nd%20gen%20colt%20detail_zpsl5acl0ho.jpg

I have two 1st Gen Bisley Colts that do have a circle around the Rampant Colt.

1st Gen Bisley Colt from 1909

bisley%20Verified%20Proof_zpsevsnorfu.jpg

1st Gen Bisley Colt from 1908.

Verified%20Proof%20marking_zps4o8z0z3s.jpg

The 44-40 Single Action Army was/is the only SAA that had its own model name, Frontier Six Shooter. So any 44-40 SAA should say Frontier Six Shooter on the left side of the barrel. Over the years, it was marked in a few different ways. Sometimes large letters stamped into the side of the barrel saying FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER. Sometimes the caliber was also called out, FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER 44-40. And sometimes it was a bit more subtle, with an oval shaped background sunken down a few thousandths, with the words FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER in relatively small letters, left proud on the barrel, at the same level as the rest of the surface of the barrel.

In any case, the barrel of any Colt Single Action Army chambered for 44-40 should have frontier six shooter in some form on the left side of the barrel.

The serial number looks really bizarre. I have never seen anything like that. First Gen Colts will have the serial number on the frame and also on the trigger guard. The SN usually appears on the underside of the butt too.

Serial%20Number%20Frame%20and%20Trigger%20guard%20altered_zpsogi57oko.jpg

Second Gen Colts only have the SN appearing on the frame with a SA suffix.

Colt%20SAA%20Serial%20Number%20modified_zpsfmaruhhc.jpg

Third Gens had 80,000SA to 99,999 SA from 1976 until 1978, then SA1001 to SA99,999 from 1978 until 1993, then S02001A to S26,699A from 1993 until 1999. I have no information about serial numbers after 1999.

The only special serial numbers Colt is going to stamp on a modern SAA are for the SASS Colts. They will have the word SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) stamped with the SN.

The gun has clearly been refinished at some point.

I don't know what to tell you other than it looks like a parts gun to me. But the SN is bizarre. I am suspicious of a refinished gun that has such sharply marked letters for the SN.

How does the COLTS'S PT.F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A. on top of the barrel look? Does it look washed out from over polishing? Is it is sharp as the letters of that bizarre serial number? Given how the screw holes are over polished, I would expect the barrel markings on top of the barrel to be slightly washed out. In fact, the Frontier Sixshooter Marking on the barrel may have been polished away completely.

Some parts guns are good, some are not. One of my 2nd Gens is a parts gun and it is a terrific shooter.

Last edited:
The stamping on top of the barrel is as clear as the other stampings. I will try to post a picture tonight. I appreciate all the information. Especially the pictures of the first generations. The third line of the patents now leaves me wondering even more.

Everyone, Thanks again for your input. Someone suggested I post on the Colt Forum and I did. This morning I have had 2 people give me some information which explains what I have. Since the frame has the 3 line patent date and the Horse in a circle that dates it to the 1890s between S/Ns 131000 and 137000. It is not illegal to restamp a serial on a gun made before 1898. So the gun is an original frame with modern parts and refinished to put it back in working order which is what I suspected when I bought the gun. However, it also means I should shoot blackpowder cartridges as the frame may not hold up to modern powder. It is a really nice gun so I am happy with what I have.

I dont know much about Colts but that is one nice looking revolver.

If you dont want to shoot BP (and I dont blame you) load the shells with Unique to 44 Russian specs.

I have a Smith Model 3 in 44 Russian that was given to my Grandfather by his father. Its older then that and Modest loads of Unique doesnt hurt it at all, I'm sure that Colt is stronger.

Not like you're going to go grizzly hunting with it. I think you'll find the lighter, more modest loads are more accurate anyway.

If you dont want to shoot BP (and I dont blame you) load the shells with Unique to 44 Russian specs.

To the OP,

Please, please do not take this advice. Colt did not certify their SAAs for smokeless powder ammunition until 1900. Since this gun was rebuilt, probably as a shooter, you have no idea what kind of loads/ammunition some previous owner has put through it. The black powder frame may have been stressed by some one shooting "Unique" loads and it is just waiting for another over pressure load to let go. Don't make the mistake of thinking a "light smokeless load" will be OK. The peak pressure of even light smokeless powder charges is greater than the total pressure of black powder.

Have it carefully inspected by a qualified gunsmith, then if he gives it a good bill of health (no sign of cracks or stretching of the frame, shoot only black powder and soft cast bullets through the gun.

It doesn't matter if it has a 2nd Gen cylinder, it's the BP frame you need to be concerned about and let's be honest, you have no idea of it's history or what it's been through, or you wouldn't be asking these questions in the first place.

Dave

SN 204 is from 1874.
R3B is not a Colt format from that or any era.
I wonder if Retro Big Bright Boomers was the shop that rebuilt it.

I am with Kraig. Lyman has loads in the 6000-8000 CUP range which is probably less than a case full of 3F.

Any mention of a used gun, whether antique, surplus, or simply second hand is routinely greeted with the "have it checked out by a qualified gunsmith." There are two problems. First, finding a qualified gunsmith for some of the old and oddball guns we enjoy.
Second, getting him to say it is safe to shoot, and with what. Now if he finds a flaw, he will certainly tell you not to shoot it. But if he doesn't, will he take on the liability of telling you it is OK?

This is how I am leaning on this gun after listening to everyone on here and on the colt forum. Someone has taken an old colt and salvaged the frame. The frame appears to have been manufactured in 1890 because of the 3 patent lines and the colt in a circle. It is legally okay to re issue a serial number for a gun made before 1898. So the frame was okay to do this and the proof is this design had to be built in 1890. It appears to be a really nice job so I suspect a reputable gunsmith did this. I suppose there is a possibility someone restamped the patent dates and colt symbol to make it appear to be 1890 but it is old and it is a black powder frame. Since it has no collector value I intend to shoot it so I will get the frame checked as best I can and only shoot black powder through it.

In any case, the barrel of any Colt Single Action Army chambered for 44-40 should have frontier six shooter in some form on the left side of the barrel.
Uh, no.

Jim

Attachments

• colt 44-40.jpg
    colt 44-40.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 64
That's not a first gen. A first gen early production will be marked Frontier Six Shooter 44 WCF.
The post I was responding to stated "ANY Colt SAA chambered in 44-40". However, if he meant a first gen then I misunderstood him.

Jim

Last edited:
I would say the cylinder is of recent production, Colt marked the rear face of the cylinder with the caliber. Also the shape of the cylinder with its sharp edges indicate a smokeless item. A knowledgeable individual checking the pistol would determine its heritage and perhaps explain the difficulty with the serial number.

The post I was responding to stated "ANY Colt SAA chambered in 44-40". However, if he meant a first gen then I misunderstood him.

I was referring to ANY SAA chambered for 44-40, but I like to say you learn something new every day.

But more important, let's talk for a minute about shooting old revolvers with Smokeless powder vs Black Powder.

Number 1. It is not the frame of a revolver that has to withstand the pressure of a cartridge firing, it is the cylinder. The cylinder is the pressure vessel that contains the pressure. The frame is simply a thing that holds the cylinder in place. If a revolver blows up, most of the time it is the cylinder that will burst.

This is the cylinder from a 19th Century Merwin Hulbert that saw too much pressure. The cylinder has burst in an absolutely typical manner. The first photo shows where the rupture started, at the thinnest cross section, where the cylinder locking slot is milled into the circumference of the cylinder. That is usually the weakest point on most revolver cylinders. The crack propigated forward, splitting along the centerline of the chamber, and the piece separated from the cylinder, taking the topstrap along with it. Notice how the two adjacent chambers started to deform. If the pressure had been greater, the walls separating the two adjacent chambers from the blown chamber would have folded like accordions, and those two chambers would have been daylighted too.

blownmerwinhulbertcylinder02_zpsd6b45aad.jpg

blownmerwinhulbertcylinder01_zpse057ebd4.jpg

That is what a burst cylinder usually looks like. Unless there is an obstruction in the barrel, the barrel seldom bursts, because the cross section of the barrel walls are greater than the weakest part of the cylinder. In some cases, with an obstruction in the barrel, the barrel will burst, but with no obstruction in the barrel it is usually the cylinder that bursts, usually bending or taking the top strap along with it.

The frame does not have to contain the pressure of a cartridge firing. The frame does have to deal with the concussion caused by the cartridge slamming backwards in recoil, but that is an entirely different force than the pressure generated by a cartridge firing. A weak or fragile frame may stretch from repeated heavy recoil, internal parts may be distorted by heavy recoil, but a frame is not going to burst. If very old and fragile, it may crack from the concussion of recoil, but it is not going to burst from the pressure of a cartridge firing.

Now, let's talk specifically about the metals Colt was using to make 1st Generation (1873-1940) Single Action Army revolvers. I am quoting the following information from Jerrry Kuhnhausen's "The Colt Single Action Revolvers, a Shop Manual, Volumes 1 & 2".

Page 70, Frame Material Notes:

"(1) Early black powder model SAA frames up to about s/n 96,000 (SAA frames manufactured through about mid 1883) were made of malleable iron. (2) Intermediate SAA frames between approx. s/n 96,000 and 180,000 (SAA frames manufactured from about mid 1883 through mid 1898) vary but were apparently made of transitional materials generally similar to modern low-medium carbon steels. The lowest carbon content found in intermediate s/n SAA frames tested to date is approx. .0155, indicating the possibility that early formulations of 1015-1018 or higher carbon type steels may have been used in many frames of this era. (3) Although there are exceptions, frames manufactured after s/n 180,000 appear to have been made from medium range carbon steels. The lowest carbon content found in the after s/n 180,000 frames tested was approx. .0213, possibly indicating that 1020-1027, or slightly higher, carbon, or similar, steels may have been used in these frames."

Page 71, Cylinder material notes:

"(1) 1st Generation SAA cylinder material changes began to occur at about the same time that SAA frames were being metallurgically updated. Cylinders prior to approx. s/n 96,000 were made from materials generally resembling high grade malleable iron. Original Cylinders from approx. s/n 96,000 to about 180,000 were made from transitional low/medium carbon type steels. These cylinders and their parent frames were not factory guaranteed for smokeless powder cartridges. Cylinders after frame s/n 180,000 (about mid 1898) began to be made from medium carbon type steels. Later versions of these cylinders were better and more uniformly heat treated. SAA Revolvers with cylinders of this final type were factory guaranteed in 1900 for standard factory load smokeless powder cartridges. (2) 1st Generation .357 Magnum cylinders were made from fine grain, high tensile strength ordinance quality steel. These cylinder blanks, identified by a 5 pointed star on the front, turn up on other caliber SAA’s made during, and after, 1935."

I typed this stuff up a long time ago because I knew I would have occasion to refer back to it.

Anyway, notice that the materials the frames and cylinders were made from pretty much track together for the same time periods. Notice what is said about the cylinders (remember, the cylinder is the pressure vessel, not the frame) regarding the steady progression of materials up until Colt felt confident to factory warranty the SAA in 1900 for 'standard factory load smokeless powder cartridges'.

After about 1900, Colt began stamping a VP, for Verified Proof in an inverted triangle on the left front side of the trigger guard, indicating that the gun was safe to fire with Smokeless powder cartridges.

Here is the Verified Proof symbol on the trigger guard of a Bisley Colt made in 1908.

Verified%20Proof%20marking_zps4o8z0z3s.jpg

I have argued till I am blue in the face over the years about why these old revolvers should not be fired with Smokeless powder. It is not the amount of pressure, it is the pressure coupled with the amount of time the pressure lasts. Most Smokeless powders generate a sharp spike of pressure. Particularly the fast powders usually used for pistol loads. Black Powder on the other hand generates a gentler curve, which lasts a longer time, measured in milliseconds. It ain't anything we can hear, but sophisticated pressure equipment can. Even if you reduce the pressure of a Smokeless load down to Black Powder levels, the pressure spike is much more abrupt, and the old steel may not be able to contain it without bursting. Think about trying to tow a car with a rope. If you accelerate slowly and gradually, the rope may be able to take the strain, and you may be able to get the towed car rolling. But if you accelerate with a jerk, the rope may not be able to take the strain, and may break. It is the same thing with relatively weak metals. Subject it to pressure gradually, and the metal may take the pressure, but do it too abruptly, and the metal may not be elastic enough to yield without breaking.

I argue about this stuff all the time with a guy over on the S&W Forum. He maintains that it is indeed possible to choose Smokeless powders that will duplicate the gentler pressure curve of Black Powder, both in amplitude and duration, so that these powders can be used in the old guns. He is probably correct, choosing the correct powder, with a relatively slow burn rate, it is probably possible to develop Smokeless loads for the old guns. But I do not have the pressure measuring equipment, nor the patience to develop these loads. No, I do not remember what powders he was specifying, if you want to know you will have to ask him. But I guarantee you it was not Unique. Unique burns much too fast.

All this is not to say that the first time you fire an old gun with Smokeless ammo it is guaranteed to blow up. In fact, most old guns have probably been fired with Smokeless ammo at some time or another. But who knows how much the old metal has been strained over time, and who knows when it will reach its limit? I am not going to risk it with my old Colts or S&W Top Breaks.

For the record, it is much tougher to pin down S&W as to when they felt their revolvers could safely be fired with Smokeless powder. The early catalogs from around 1900 specifically say they do not guarantee their revolvers for Smokeless powder. They hedge their bets a bit, claiming they have no control over the quality of reloaded ammunition made with the relatively new Smokeless powders. Somewhere around 1909 or 1910 S&W started factory guaranteeing their revolvers for Smokeless powder. Personally, I don't believe S&W had access to steels that were any better than Colt could get, so I never fire my antique Top Breaks, including my 44 Russian New Model Number Threes, with anything but ammunition I load with Black Powder.

I completely understand the aversion some folks may have to cleaning up after shooting Black Powder. I understand that completely. I can only say that after shooting Black Powder for many years in cartridge revolvers I have developed some techniques that make clean up much easier. Yes, it is always messy, but it does not have to be difficult. And contrary to what some might have heard, one does not have to clean a gun the same day after shooting with Black Power, for fear it will turn into a pile of rust.

Last edited:
If it were my gun, even though the cylinder could probably handle smokeless, I would instead look at this as a wonderful opportunity to take up Black Powder Cartridge reloading. A properly loaded, black-powder, 44-40 cartridge has plenty of power, more than today's so-called, "Cowboy", ammo.

You folks are awesome for helping me figure out this gun and I appreciate the lesson. What I have picked out is the gun is most likely okay to shoot modern powder in because it has a modern cylinder. However the recoil can damage the old frame. The gun is limited in value to what it is worth as a shooter because it was assembled from an old frame with new parts added and a new serial number. That being said it looks like I will stick with black powder cartridges and have fun with it. Thank you all for the information.

I look at it this way, you have a Colt single action, a real one. It will shoot black powder loadings all day long, is it like a modern race car, no. More like a race care of long ago, one that you drive and won't push it beyond it's limits.
If you want modern performance get a Ruger Super Blackhawk or a Redhawk in 454.

I also have a 3rd Gen Colt in 44 WCF, 5.5" barrel marked like laytonj1, S#"S440xxxA". Purchased new in 2007.

Back