Colt Single Action Army

shortyshvac

Inactive
I just picked up a Nickle SAA in 44-40 and I am not really sure what I have. The S/N is kind of weird. It has a 3 digit serial number stamped on the frame in front of the trigger guard. I suspect it may be an older gun someone has restored and killed the value but I bought it at a decent price for a nice nickle SAA. On the frame above the S/N in slightly different font and inside the grips there is another 3 digit string of a letter, number and letter. It is a black powder style with the cylinder pin screw and the horse is inside a round circle with a 3 line patent date. Anyone have any idea if I am correct or what I may actually have?

Attachments

• 7431.jpeg
    7431.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 299
  • 7430.jpeg
    7430.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 242
Without photos of the numbers this is a guess: appears to be a third gen and should have a serial number just forward of the grip frame on the bottom of the frame and should be a combination. Of letters and numbers such as S000000A. The number is also stamped on the left side of the frame under the grip panel. The two frame numbers must match. I have a set of consecutively numbered pistols in special serial numbers, under the grip the original S/N was lined out and the custom number added, the bottom. Of the frame carries only the custom number. Any number under the loading port is an assembly number.

Thanks for the information. I have added a picture of the S/N. Do some of the 3rd generations have a circle around the horse? I have a 3rd generation that does not.

Attachments

• 7433.jpeg
    7433.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 222
Hmmm,

Strange I guess.

Black powder frame but with half moon ejector button.

Mentioned that on frame is the more typical SxxxxA
I'm assuming. So third generation.

Perhaps a special order for individual, club, cowboy
group, etc.

I think Colt was known for these in its third generation
incarnation.

New looking Eagle grips so again third generation.

If it has a removable cylinder bushing, then certainly
a later third generation.

Last edited:
Are there any markings on the barrel at all.

There should be Colt and caliber marking on the left side.

Frame Colt logo doesn't look right either, my second generation has the horse with no circle.
My third generation doesn't have a Colt logo on the frame.

I bought it as a Colt. Someone was selling a collection. The only marking on the barrell is COLTS'S PT.F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A. The hammer end of the cylinder is marked 44-40 on the outside edge. There are no other markings on the gun I have found yet. Nothing under the grips and nothing on the butt. I just bought it this weekend so Colt is on my list to call this week. I was just hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this. The grips have obviously been fitted to the gun. It is very nice and rolls very smooth.

Parts gun. Someone built it from old parts and did a re-finish. You can see the buffer "wallow" on a few of the screw holes. You will NEVER see that on a factory Colt.
Some "parts-built-Colts" are excellent in their fit and finish and others can be so-so. None command a collectors value, but can be good shooters.
The black-powder frame with the 2nd or 3rd generation cylinder is a dead giveaway.

Figured it out [how to post more pictures]. Here are more pictures

You did that in 9 minutes? You're a better man than I.

I can't add any information to the discussion but I am enjoying it. Welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around...maybe with a range report if you decide to shoot it.

Maybe a Mexican copy with faked Colt stampings? I dunno, but it's a nice looking SA either way.

Post your pics & questions on the SAA section at the Colt Forum. Those guys know their business as well as the factory historians. In fact, the Colt factory historian posts there.

Good luck in your quest.

I think the gun is a genuine Colt, though the serial number is puzzling. There is no doubt that it was heavily buffed, probably to cut through the rust and get to fresh metal so it could be plated. The serial number is in a format not normal to the SAA in any era; it might have been stamped by the factory on a gun whose original serial number was removed in the course of refinish work (that is legal when done by the manufacturer). If the number was stamped by Colt, they should have a record of it and that would be part of the record Colt will provide (for a fee).

The problem is that the gun is obviously not original and was in very bad condition before being "refinished". Unless some other information is available or forthcoming, I would consider that It has no historical value and it is, at best, a shooter. It cannot be "restored" to its original condition and removal of the original serial number will prevent any any attempt to trace the gun or to learn any more of its history.

Jim

The S/N is like nothing I have seen on a Colt, sure looks to be rebuilt and refinished using parts from different eras. The caliber should be on the barrel and/or left side of frame on old pistols.

Here are some pics of my Frontier Six Shooter, which is Colts name for their single action revolvers in 44WCF (.44-40). As you can see the barrel should say "Frontier Six Shooter" Even the earliest ones say that on the barrel, although the earliest versions just had rather lightly etched markings. The later ones are roll marked.

Your serial number is a puzzle and I certainly have no idea of why it was changed (if it was) or where it came from.

IMG_0347-XL.jpg

003-XL.jpg

IMG_1071-XL.jpg

Back