Colt SAA value/worth?

Seems like a lot of over and under valuations flying around here. I would price it in the 1,000 range myself and without handling it figure +/- 150 bucks.
Just the grips alone...if they are in good shape...should bring over the 300.00 mark nowdays. Stag brings a real premium anymore. If a person would consider just the parts value of this handgun, they would be way over the 250.00 mentioned here.

I think they're trolling/looking for an easy kill. Perhaps this recurring $250 is the pricing of yester-year that many wish would return...

I'm not trolling anything. I couldn't buy it if it was going for 100. I gave what I consider to be an honest real world figure.

I don't think anyone was "trolling" or trying to get an "easy kill". I think they told you what your gun was worth to them. Not everyone gets excited over a Colt SAA and most of the guys on here aren't collectors with money to burn. Me included. But I have studied guns of this era for over twenty years and know what market value is. You won't get rich off of this gun, but like I said, $1000-$2000 is fair market price for what you have. If I was interested and had the cash, I would offer $1500 and feel that was fair. Like I said, take it to an expert.

Last edited:
Not everyone gets excited over a Colt SAA

I do get excited over SAA's but not that one. Original finish gone, wire brushed, chopped barrel, worn out action, and aftermarket grips. Maybe I'm way off base but I just don't see the kind of money most of you are talking about.

I do get excited over SAA's but not that one. Original finish gone, wire brushed, chopped barrel, worn out action, and aftermarket grips. Maybe I'm way off base but I just don't see the kind of money most of you are talking about.

My point was, that not everyone sees a Colt and is ready to throw "high four figures, maybe low five" at that little horsey because it's a Colt. I'm the same way. I look at the condition of the gun. I have no desire to own a gun like that. But, as for "value", Colt is a big seller. I have seen junked out "parts" and wall hanger Colts go for $800 and $900. It's stupid, but people will pay for them and I told the OP what I honestly thought it would bring in the market place. Personally I would rather have a modern Uberti repro of a BP frame Colt than the genuine thing. You can shoot the heck out of a Uberti and not think about it. If you do that to a 118 (or more) year old Colt it lowers the value of the gun and you have to worry about breaking things. I don't own guns I can't use.

Last edited:
Personally I would rather have a modern Uberti repro of a BP frame Colt than the genuine thing. You can shoot the heck out of a Uberti and not think about it. If you do that to a 118 (or more) year old Colt it lowers the value of the gun and you have to worry about breaking things. I don't own guns I can't use.

I've been debating chiming in to say the exact same thing. The gun is worthless to me because it's broken.

As with anything, something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. I'm sure there is someone out there who collects broken guns or sees it as a project or whatever.

I don't have enough money to buy all the working guns I want, let alone spend it on paperweights.

Steve

I suppose another way to ask my initial question is.... what would YOU pay for it you saw it. ]

Given the condition you described, I'd probably give $750 for it. It would take a bit of work to get it to be fully functional, but it would make a decent "shooter" vintage Colt with appropriate loads.

Back