ghengiskhan

Wonder what this Colt SAA is worth:

mbiXkoOl.jpg

tlYKBX5l.jpg

wj5ElR2l.jpg

AxDoUjJl.jpg

Ja7gP6pl.jpg

tg56spyl.jpg

direct links because a maximum of 6 is allowed.

http://i.imgur.com/jCPa43r.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ac0GauG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zZ4iJ52.jpg

I have other images but they may or may not be if any interest.

It has extremely poor lock-up, the trigger is feather light (seemingly too light), only 3 clicks when pulling the hammer back, but it's mostly matching, original finish (?) and the bore is decent (I misplaced that photo but will find it soon).
//Edit:// Pictures were enormous so I resized them.

If you want the full size picture: right click > copy image address > delete the "l" at the end of the address > go

I would contact someone from an auction house (a live one) that handled such old black powder frame models. 'Pretty nice to have though! :)

Serial number dates it to 1883 but with those brush marks, poor lockup and those grips I wouldn't attempt a guess at value.

Why is it stamped 1871?

Bad news about the removed finish I suppose. I look on GunBroker and see some auctions asking astronomical prices but no bids...

I suppose another way to ask my initial question is.... what would YOU pay for it you saw it.

1871 is when the first relevant patent was issued. Others in 1872 and 1875.

Barrel has apparently been sawn off, too.

I have seen shabby SAAs like this go for prices in the low teens at LOCAL auctions where the buyers are enthusiastic but not real critical or knowledgeable.

Thanks Jim, I know you said "local" auctions, but is there a reasonable reserve/starting bid I should set if I decide to put it up on GunBroker?

I live out in the boonies so even if I find a local auction, it isn't likely to draw many persons.

OP,

Send your original post to Collectors Firearms in Houston, TX or post on the Colt Collectors Forum.

OP,

Send your original post to Collectors Firearms in Houston, TX of post or the Colt Collectors Forum.

what would YOU pay for it you saw it.

Now this is just me but I would try my damndest to get it for 250. If I couldn't get it for 300 I'd walk. Others may be willing to give more.

$250??? That gun has been hard used and "treated" to a bad rebluing job, but $250 is ridiculous; even in today's down market it should bring in the high four figures, maybe even the low five. It is in the intermediate black powder range, all matching (the loading gates never match as the number is an assembly number) and in fair condition. I wish I could buy guns like that for $250 - I would clean out the life savings.

Jim

$250 to $550 I'd stop and take a good look but more would be for an more discerning buying than I am.

Nice piece in my opinion and I hope you get enough to make you smile really big.
Good luck.

That gun has been hard used and "treated" to a bad rebluing job, but $250 is ridiculous; even in today's down market it should bring in the high four figures, maybe even the low five.

That revolver has had the nickle finish stripped with a wire brush, the barrel has been cut at some point, and it has internal issues. As it sits right now it is (to use your own term from another thread) a "paperweight". And repairing it might make the value drop even lower. I think $250 is a low guess, but "high four figures, maybe even the low five" for a revolver in this condition is extremely over valued. Only an idiot or complete "rube" would shell out that much for a gun in this shape. From what I see being sold at auctions it could probably bring $1000-$2000 +/- IF it means something to a collector and depending on what's going on inside of the gun and what, if anything, else is the matter with it. But a true collector would hold out for a better condition piece. Last year I saw a Colt Bisley in good shooting condition, that had been buffed and re finished go for $1200 on Gunbroker. To tell the truth, the only way for the OP to determine the value if this revolver is to take it to an auction house or someone who knows Colt revolvers.
As an example, (this one supposedly works)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=384450204

Last edited:
A local store had a row of SAA "roaches" at tag prices into the $3000+ range.
Those things laid there for years. I don't know if they sold, www auction, or back to an over ambitious consigner, but they were not generating much average cash flow even at best.

As I said, I have watched a number of these things sell at local auctions for $1000 and up, but not very far up, over the pst year or two.

James K said:
$250??? That gun has been hard used and "treated" to a bad rebluing job, but $250 is ridiculous; even in today's down market it should bring in the high four figures, maybe even the low five. It is in the intermediate black powder range, all matching (the loading gates never match as the number is an assembly number) and in fair condition. I wish I could buy guns like that for $250 - I would clean out the life savings.

I think they're trolling/looking for an easy kill. Perhaps this recurring $250 is the pricing of yester-year that many wish would return...

Jim Watson said:
A local store had a row of SAA "roaches" at tag prices into the $3000+ range.
Those things laid there for years. I don't know if they sold, www auction, or back to an over ambitious consigner, but they were not generating much average cash flow even at best.

As I said, I have watched a number of these things sell at local auctions for $1000 and up, but not very far up, over the pst year or two.

I'm certainly in no rush to sell; I don't mind listing it online and setting what I now feel is an appropriate reserve/starting bid. If it sells, fantastic. If not, so be it. It certainly doesn't take up any significant room in my vault so there's no urgency in getting rid of it.

Thanks for the replies, some of you have been quite helpful. :)

OK, I admit to going a bit overboard, but still $250 is pretty low, and it has been a long time since I have seen any SAA go for under $150. If anyone will let me know where those guns are, I will take a chance and buy a dozen at that price.

Jim

Back