Colt SAA - Pictures _ info needed

Please let us know when your letter arrives. I, for one would love to hear about it. I love these wonderful antique guns.

Were any of your father-in-law's family involved in the Pleasant Valley War? Or did they settle there after?

Yes sir. But not directly.

The old fella who owned the gun pictured was Vern Gillette, son of Quimby Gillette. They lived on the Cross Y and the Bar X ranch where Vern was the manager. The Bowman's on the 13 ranch were related to Vern by marriage. Vern's first wife and mr. Bowman's wife were sisters.

The Gillette family had friendships and business dealings with the Haught's, Blevins', Burk's, and Allenbaugh's.

There is a very interesting book writen by my wife's grandpa, Frank Gillette (son of Vern), Titled "Pleasant Valley" published in 1984. Frank Gillette was a Highway Patrolman in Arizon his whole career.

I have learned from my FIL that the gun was purchased used by Vern Gillette from one of the Pleasant Valley locals around 1915. The family does not know who the seller was, but hopefully the letter from Colt will shed some light on that.

Thanks for the intrest and help with this research.

Wow! I am familiar with the book, although I haven't as of yet read it.

At this point, it doesn't matter if the gun is reblued, or if the grips are original or anything else. That gun is chock full of Arizona history!

You mentioned the Blevins. I know that one (or more) of the Blevins were sided with the Grahams, and one of the Blevins was killed by the sheriff from Prescott who led a posse after him and one of the Grahams.

One of these days I must take a trip to Young; I have heard that they have a little parade every year commemorating the War and you can see actual graves of people that were killed during it. Young is one place in AZ that has less people in it than where I live. LOL!

Congratulations on a very valuable and pivotal piece of Arizona history.

Edit: Something clicked in the dusty corners of my mind and I remember reading an excerpt from Gillette's book about "The Rescue of Leo the Lion." It was included in a paperback book called Arizona Humoresque. I know a lot of retired DPS guys; I'll have to ask them if they knew Frank Gillette.:)

Last edited:
gyvel,

I do have a copy of the book and it does tell the story of a group of men capturing a mountain lion alive, placing it in a home-built cage and transporting it by horseback. My memeory is a bit foggy, but when I get home tonight, I will dig out the book and read the tale!

I do remember that the book has many old pictures of the period locals. I will look and see if any pictures show any people with firearms. Maybe I will find a picture of this thumb-buster!

Thanks.

I think you have an excellent old Colt there. Some makers have made reproductions that attempt to mimic a revolver with a lot of wear, though that one actually has rather less wear than the reproductions.

I'd say the wear is a result of being carried in a holster. Even revolvers I've owned that were purchased new quickly showed holster wear at the muzzle. It may not be a collector gun by collector's standards but it is certainly highly desireable.

The front sight looks a little odd. Do you suppose it has been modified in some way?

Mr. Blue Train,

I am entirely un-sure if the sight is modified. I certianly has a "bead" type of milling, but I don't know enough about old SAA's to say one way or the other. Someone here at TFL may shed some light on that question as well.

Seams as though, the more we examine this gun, the more questions get raised!

I still need to get some more photos.

Thanks.

Colt SAAs of that period had tapered front sights. Later guns had even sides and a flat top, giving the now-standard "Patridge" sight picture. AFAIK, no bead or special sights were put on standard guns, but buyers of Bisleys could order special sights.

It looks to me like that sight was reshaped by or for someone who wanted "a fine bead" in the terminology of the day.

Jim

I do have a copy of the book and it does tell the story of a group of men capturing a mountain lion alive, placing it in a home-built cage and transporting it by horseback. My memeory is a bit foggy, but when I get home tonight, I will dig out the book and read the tale!

Actually, the story was about the rescue of "Leo the Lion" who was the MGM roaring lion seen in the beginning of every MGM film. Apparently "Leo" was on a publicity tour and the pilot managed to crash his plane en route from Phoenix to Albuquerque in one of the more remote areas of the White Mtns.

They had to enlist some aid from some of the local residents of Young and surrounds. Been a while since I read it, but it was a cute story.

Again, as far as any modifications to that gun, at this point it really doesn't matter. At that time, 99.99% of guns here in AZ were working guns, especially on ranches, and especially at a time when getting law enforcement wasn't just a matter of dialing "911."

I will be really curious to see to whom the gun was orignally shipped.

It will say it was shipped to a particular hardware store etc. Unless it was a custom order it didn't ship to an individual.

gyvel,

I found the book and the second chapter is titled "Leo the Lion". You are 100% correct. It is a story about the "areoplane" crashing in a canyon near Payson.

"I got caught in a box canyon," he said. "Did you see an aeroplane come over here the other day? I crash-landed somewhere up the canyon. I've been walking for days. I have to get to a tellephone. There's a lion on my plane."
Frank V. Gillette, "Pleasant Valley", 1984, pg. 9

The MGM lion, Leo, crashed in Pleasant Valley!

Anyway, Vern and Frank Gillette were along for Leo's rescue with Sam and Boy Haught!

Hawg,

That is the most likely, but I hope that it was ordered by someone in the valley. I am not sure there were many hardware stores in the area at the time. The research from Colt is going to answer many question. I hope it doesn't raise too many more!

Thanks again!

Colt mostly shipped to distributors, not directly to dealers, and only rarely to individuals, mostly celebrities and law enforcement personnel.

Jim

I think it's unlikely but if those grips are original they most likely would have been a special order. I've been trying to find a pic of Kid Curry's gun. I know there's one out there, I've seen it before. I do not remember it having a Colt medallion on the grips.

Colt Archives just posted a $100.00 charge to my credit card!

Yea! Looks like the letter is on its way! ~90 days, less than the 120 they said when I called!

I will post it when it shows up!

I recieved the Colt letter today!

This gun was shipped to Simmons Hardware Company, St. Louis, Missouri on October 3, 1904! It was shipped with 20 other guns. It was shipped as a 5-1/2", Blued .45LC. There is nothing mentioned as to stock type.

The letter raises many more questions! How did this gun make it's way from St. Louis to Arizona! Are the stag stocks factory, add ons from the hardware, or personal embellishments?

The research is just beginning!

Thanks everyone, for all the help! I will keep you informed with any new info!

"How did this gun make it's way from St. Louis to Arizona?"

Well, 1904 was not exactly prehistorical. Someone going west and passing through St. Louis could have bought it (no gun control laws then!). Or more likely, an Arizona dealer or hardware store simply ordered it and it came in on the train a week or two later.

Or the Rams were playing the Cardinals and a couple of the guys got together.... ;)

Jim

Back