Colt or Glock?

Get what fits your hand best. My first centerfire psitol was a 1911 colt lightwieght commander in .45, if you take care of your 45 keep it reasonably clean and properly lubed it will function just fine. The same can be said for glocks as well, though they require less tlc.

Treat your guns as if your life depended on them and they won't fail you.

I grew up on the 1911.. other guns just don't feel quite right to me so when I looked at getting a 9mm, I looked at glocks and sigs and berettas etc.. I ended up buying a browning hi power (FEG made) it has the same ergos as the 1911, except for the magazine safety.. 13 rounds of 9mm weighs about the same as 7 rounds of 45 ammo.. so they feel about the same on your hip.

Those plastic guns feel nice and light until you fill them up. I'd still like a glock.. but the 17 is the only one I like the rest feel too "chunky" in my hand.

Welcome to TFL pigpen, for only 30 post you have certainly made your contribution, especially in that last post.

What we are talking about here is basically the choice between two diametrically opposed theories on handgunning. Dr. Rob is certainly correct in his advice about which one fits your hand better, but I would like to throw in the question of usage. What do you want to do with the pistol?
If its just for general handgunning then either are fine options. 9MM vs .45 is not a question if your just hunting for Plinks. (Plinking) For personal defense your going to have to consider the caliber issue.
For IDPA, caliber isnt so much the issue but CCW is. In this area I'ld suggest a Commander or Glock 19...

Get the Colt. I own and shoot four Colt 1911 variants, (just got a M1991A1, and while I haven't had a chance to shoot it, it looks and feels as good as the rest of them)and they are all great guns. Also, the "legendary" durability and reliability of the Glock has yet to be demonstrated to me (how does a military service weapon develop a legendary reputation in twenty years of relative peace?). If the Glock fits your hand (doesn't), and you like the feel of the trigger (don't), then certainly consider the Glock. But, if you want a gun of history and romance and legend (as Churchill would say, "It's true, all of it, and more; and if it's not, it should be", or something to that effect), then get the Colt.

I own both a Glock 17 and several Colt 1911s. I have owned perhaps a dozen different 1911s and as I have stated in previous threads, I never had a problem with any of them. One of the 1911s I currently own is a full sized govt. model that I bought new around 1992 or 93. I was shooting limited class IPSC with a series 70 Colt at the time and had an extractor problem the day before a match. I picked up the 80 series on the way to a match and the first shot fired from it was in IPSC competition. Straight out of the box, never been cleaned, never been home. It has been totally reliable that first shot, and every one since. This particular gun is also the most accurate handgun I own, period. I own perhaps 30-40 handguns and this one beats them all hands down. I once tried a Glock 21. I had serious problems with it after less than 300 rounds and had to send it back to the factory. The point to all this is that after some personal experience, not heresay, I have found that Colt 1911s are totally reliable and accurate out of the box. I am sure others have not had this experience. By the same token, in my experience Glocks arn't, but then I am basing that all on one Glock that I owned years ago. Neither one is based on enough information to make a blanket statement about all Colts or all Glocks. I think YOUR choice comes down to personal preference. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot. The 1911 accessories are cheaper to buy. If you like to modify your guns, the 1911 is definitely the way to go. If having 18 rounds to spray and pray pulls your chain, go with the Glock. Both are terrific additions to your collection. Both are a load of fun to own and shoot. The best part about your dilema is that you won't lose either way.

colt or glock

the glock or the colt? If I was a new less experienced shooter I would opt for the softer recoil of the glock 17, w/out the comp. the glock 17 is a great gun it will serve you well if you choose it.

as for the accuracy of the colts vs. the glock. I have a glock 21 .45acp and a colt tactical level 1 (19991a1 frame w/ a whole bunch of goodies bolted on at the factory) the glock shoots great but the colt is a tack driver w/ 200 grn. lead semi-wadcutter w/ 6 grns. of bullseye.

both guns had a few malfunctions when brand new. but I think that was because I still getting used to the guns.

Get both. Really.

I've had my 1911 (actually, a Colt Officer's model, slightly smaller than the 1911 design) for a few years and it has served me well. It shoots very well, turning in decent groups at 25 & 50 yards (which is probably longer range than I'd ever really use it). It had one minor problem when I got it; the clip release latch hadn't been ground properly and would not hold a clip in when fired. Nothing that couldn't be fixed rather easily.

I just got my first Glock, a model 27 (.40 S&W caliber) yesterday. As far as accuracy, I can't really tell you how good it is, but I put 50 through it today and shot a nice 2" group at about 15 yards with 4 shots, plus one flyer (my fault, of course). The gun performed flawlessly, but most really do. It fits the hand well, particularly after I added a Pierce grip extender to one of the clips.

The Glock has now replaced my Colt auto as the home defense weapon. My Colt is just too nice looking to want to put it through severe duty, so I switched to the Glock. Besides, this model of Glock is small enough to fit where the Colt just wouldn't go, which is why I bought it. I really wanted a Glock 30 or 36, but it was exactly 1/2" too long, so I got the next best thing (I think).

Tom

Back