Colt or Glock?

Lightsped

I am considering buying a Colt 1991 standard mil-spec version, or a Glock 17C.
Which of these two guns is more highly recommended here, and why? The closest gun I have to these would be a Sig 229 in .40s&w. I also have some Titanium Taurus 38 snubbies, and a Mossberg 590A1.
Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

If you can get used to the Safe Action Trigger, I would go with the Glock. The Glock is one heck of a pistol. It is durable, dependable, and you will be able to hold a lot more ammo.

I am told that every Colt needs work done on them even out of the box in order to make them reliable. This piece of incourageing news was imparted to me by my gunsmith. $500+ for the weapon, and then the skys the limit. I would buy the Glock. ;)

I will be using either my new Colt 1991A1, or my new Glock 17C for target shooting, and maybe occasionally carry it in my car. I also just like to collect guns, and I have neither a 1911 or a Glock so I thought now might be a good time to get one of these.....

My personal choice would be the Glock. I'd recommend against the "C" version though. The recoil of the 17 is practically nonexistant as is. In hot loads with my G20C (10mm), yes the ports do make a difference, but in a 9mm they seem to me to be extraneous and an extra step in cleaning.

I personally have had no good luck with Colt autos and feel they are to be avoided when it comes to 1911s. Many of course, will have different experiences to share in subsequent posts.

For target shooting, the single action Colt is superior to the Glock. As a defensive service pistol, the G17 with full-capacity magazines is extreamly hard to beat.

The answer?

Buy both:)

Well, I must add my 2 cents.

First, let me say you have narrowed your decision down to the 2 best semi auto designs out there. You will be happier with a 1911 or Glock than with a DA/SA design, especially if your main purpose for the gun is target shooting.

However, overall I would give Glock a slight edge in terms of reliablity and accuracy.

Sometimes, 1911's can be a little finicky. In general, I think Glocks are more reliable straight out of the box. I disagree with denfoote though that every Colt needs work to be reliable. I have fired many that were 100% reliable with no work at all. I do think, though, that there are more reliable 1911's out there than Colt, namely Kimber, Springfield, or if you have a bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket, Wilson.

Accuracy between the Glock and the stock 1911 is pretty similar in my hands. I have a Glock 30 that will shoot 2 inch groups offhand at 25 yards if I am doing my part. This is as good as I can do with a full size Wilson 1911. I dont know why it is as accurate as it is, maybe it is a fluke. So maybe Glock has an edge as far as accuracy is concerned.

Glocks are REALLY nice.
I'm not going to reiterate what you've read already but if you're going to go for a 1911, get a Kimber.

REALLY NICE
:D

A very difficult choice. Both are great guns. Something to think about is the availability and cost factor of G17 standard capacity magazines. Right now the 3rd generation drop free factory mags are going for anywhere from $75 to over $125 EACH.

FWIW I own both a G23 and a tweaked AMT Hardballer (1911 clone). I'd be hard pressed to select one over the other.

Rob

The subject of hi cap mags came up. Has anyone seen this site? What exactly are these? Hi cap mag kits that you make yourself or what??

http://www.gramseng.com/index.html

I am still flip flopping over the two choices I initally mentioned. I know the Glock must be a really good durable gun and all, however a Colt 1991A1 is about as close (money being a object) as I can get to the timeless 1911A1.

Keep the suggestions coming please.

I favor a 1911A1 over a Glock. Since I appear to be the only one standing on the side of the 1911A1, I will do my best to make it's case.

1st Let me start by agreeing with what some one here has already said and add to it a bit. Colt has had some trouble in the past few years. All firearms manufacturers have had trouble in the nineties and have been holding on by the seat of their pants except companies who had large orders from police Departments (Glock/H&K/Sig) and the military (Berreta). A situation that all changed this past monday morning. :) Therefore avoid Colts manufactured in the early to mid nineties and be cautious when buying Colts manufactured in the late nineties. Colt went (what all of us non-financial gurus would call) "broke" in the 1990s (more than once). This means that the merchandise that they were shipping was not exactly.....Uh....well 100%. If you buy a 1991A1 (or other 1911A1 variant) manufactured during this period, take it to someone knowledgable and let them check it out during the period when you can return it. Maybe it will be OK out of the box. If not, maybe it can be fixed at low cost to you. If not then return it. Colts manufactured in the last year and now are manufactured on new machines that are the state of the art CNC machines and are the equal of Kimber and Springfield (Which are both good).

2nd You can purchase a 1911A1 manufactured in the 1970s or 1980s for a reasonable price that will be as reliable as any 1911A1 would be and as accurate as you need, right out of the box. As to whether it is accurate enough and/or reliable enough you have only to look around the world at the countries who adopted it into their military.

In terms of accuracy, a 1911A1 is not and never was intended to be a bullseye pistol. It is a combat weapon. I will not defend the 1911A1 against bullseye pistols in accuracy......But then neither is a Glock their equal! A 1911A1 will *consistently* hit 8" steel plates at 25 yards. Actually, it will do much better than that but I do not want to be accused of overstating my case. :) Now 25yds is farther than you will ever be shooting your pistol in a combat situation and it will consistently place the .45 ACP bullet in the head (an 8" circle) of the opponent! What more do you want from a combat pistol in terms of accuracy? To consistently hit the opponent in the left eye? At 100 yards? I am not throwing the argument of accuracy to the Glock I am simply making the point that, which one is more accurate is irrelevant. They are both more than accurate enough for combat weapons and hitting 8" plates at the range; Neither of them are the equal of .22 cal target pistols. They trade the last bit of accuracy that they would be capable of attaining for reliability under the less than ideal circumstances of combat. Yet, you can take them to the range and they are accurate enough to have a great day shooting steel plate, running barracades or shooting moving targets but the single action 1911A! takes the edge here. So lets move on past the debate of which is MORE accurate...the Glock or the 1911A1.

Reliability? If 1911A1s were unreliable then how come IPSA shooters fire tens of thousands of "REloads" through their 1911A1s without a misfeed or mishap? 1911A1s are extremely reliable. Thousands of people get up everyday all over the world and go out and bet their life that the 1911A1 will be reliable....again today. What about Glocks? Well if they weren't reliable do you think so many police department would have them as issue firearms? Of course Glocks are reliable. So once again when we consider reliability we find they both exceed our need.

Cartridge capacity: A 1911A1 with 8 rounds in the magazine and a nineth in the chamber is all I want to carry around in one holster. The majority of the weight is in the devastating .45 cartridge. If my pistol would carry 50 cartridges, I still would carry only 8. A smaller cartridge is not the answer. I do not want a smaller cartridge and at the same time, I do not want more of them in one holster. A lighter pistol (Like a Polymer frame) helps very little because the ammunition is the bulk of the weight. If the reduction in weight of the pistol is offset by the increase in ammunition, what have you gained? The majority of civilian gun fights last a very short time and a very few rounds are fired. Some one here will tell us an exact time and number of rounds but my memory says less than five minutes and less than three or four rounds. If you can't end the fight before exhausting 9 rounds of .45 ACP of being incapacitated your self you need some more range time not more cartridges. I am not an advocate of personally trying to overcome my lack of training with more rounds hoping I hit a hostile target. Practice, read and learn to use your weapon.....If you do that, 9 will be all you want to carry as well. And if the time ever comes for you (IT never does for me I just add more) that you want to sell your pistol, Colts hold their value well.

Pay attention now, I'm coming to the good part. Either pistol will do what you want and will do it well. If Glocks are reliable enough and accurate enough and 1911A1 are too and greater than nine cartridges in a pistol at a time are enough then how do you decide what to own and shoot? Well emotion has something to do with it actually. I do not believe that a pistol is "just" a tool; Sometimes, as in the case of the 1911A1 it is a work of art. Sometimes I place one of my 1911A1 where I can see it while I am working at the computer just so I can look at it and enjoy it. I do not do the same with a Cresent wrench or pliers. Maybe you do and if you do then my hat is off to you. The Black matte Polymer and clunky boxy ergonomics of a Glock do not turn me on. Maybe they do you. I love the balance of the heavy slide on the government model which returns my front sight to the target quickly after a shot and makes my aim more steady. I love the high polish dark blueing on the slide as the light reflects off it. I like the way it feels in my hands. I trust it! In a crunch when TSHTF, I feel comfortable with it...sort of my Blankey. Iguess it comes down to what is important to you and for that you have to decide.

Sorry to use so much band width but it was discussed for years in the gun rags so I guess actually I was pretty brief by comparison.

PigPen

IMHO, A pistol is more than a tool. It is a work of art.

Those are not kits to build your own mags. They are extension kits to increase the capacity of your existing mags.

Thanks for all of the responses. I still haven't decided, but I must agree with PigPen, guns aren't just tools for me either. They are more of a hobby first, and tools second.
After hearing about Colts on and off production problems through out the 90s, it kind of makes me hesitant on buying one. I want a good gun out of the box, I can't afford to have to take a new gun to a gunsmith in order for him to tune or adjust it. Oh well, I'll keep pondering this difficult decision of mine.....

Glock with 3.5 Lbs Trigger

Some 1911s can be reliable out the box, others are rats no matter what you do. I've handled both rats and gems. My tale of a rat involves a Colt's Combat Elite Series 80. A complete jammatic. Work was done to it, like replacing the devil's playting three fingered bushing with a solid bushing, the ramp polished, and the trigger smoothed. It worked a little better, but it was real picky about ammo. For some reason it just loved Winchester but hated everything else. One of my buddies has a Springfield Mil-Spec (right name for their least expensive 1911?). It likeves everything except soft point. With unjacketed rounds it jams all day, with FMJ it works just fine. He's never tried with JHPs because he can't afford them. There you have it, a 1911 is a gamble.

If you want a 45 get a Glock 21 or 30. If not the Glock 17 is a fine choice. It'll serve you right. If you want something to tinker with, something that you can get a gazillon gadgets and aftermarket parts for, then get a 1911.

Lightsped; There are times when I open my safe and grab a pistol just to admire it. With the 1911 design it's easy to do. There're rich in history and for most people they feel ohhhh so good in the hand. Seems to me you NEED a 1911. You NEED a pistol that reeks of a romantic time gone by. I'd suggest either a Kimber or a Springfield. As efficient as Glock's are, they don't cut it in the romance department.:)Best Regards, J. Parker

Do you want a 9mm or a .45? If you want a 9mm then the Glock is the way to go(also consider a Glock 34 which is setup for competition). If you want a .45 there is the Glock 21 or 30.
Shooting a 9mm is cheaper if that is a consideration. Have you shot either? The feel of the gun is important.
My solution is to get one of each as your financial situation allows. The 1911 is a classic, full of history and the Glock is on its way to becoming one.

Yes, the cost of ammo is a consideration. I have shot a old 1st gen Glock 17 a few months ago. I just shot a few rounds through it. It appeared very accurate for a 1st gen Glock. It felt pretty good in my hands as well. I have large hands.
I haven't ever shot a 1911 or 1991 45 so I can't comment on those. I held one at a gunshow and it felt good as well.
I really want both, but I can only get one at a time. Eventually I will get both of these guns, but only one at a time.....

Back