Colt Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless .380 ACP

Wyoredman

I have come across a Colt Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless .380 ACP. The hard rubber stocks are broken, the left one missing nearly 1/3 of its upper portion. Does anyone know ofa place that sells stocks for these nifty little 380's? Also, I would like to get an extra mag or two. Where can they be found? Thanks.

Last edited:
I can vouch for the ones from Vintage Grips. I acquired a set for one of my 1903s. Side by side, I could not tell the difference from the originals except for the newness of the Vintage Grips. I also recently acquired a set of wood Ortgies grips from them, I was very impressed by the quality and will give then a two thumbs up.:)

I'll pretty much say the same for www.gungrip.com , so at least you have a choice. I don't know where Numrich gets theirs, but some are good, then it seems others are not.'

Jim

Also, I would like to get an extra mag or two. Where can they be found?

You can find them once in a while on Gunbroker, create a search and then request email notifications. They are costly though, I paid $125 for an original 1910-era magazine for a Christmas gift. Aftermarket ones are also available for $30-50, no guarantees that they will work (as well) but they should be OK as long as they are for the Hammerless guns and not the Mustang, etc.

There is a difference in the magazines (rounded or straight top) depending on whether the gun was made before or after 1926, so it helps to know what you need. www.coltautos.com is an excellent resource.

Here's a pic of both of my Model 1908 guns -

DSC01546.jpg

Last edited:
OK, Now I'm confused. I was under the impression that my gun was a 1908, but looking at the grips on these web sites, the matching ones are listed as 1903 grips? What gives?

I can't post a picture today, but I will get one up tomorrow. thanks.

The grips are the same size for both the .32 and .380, but the guns are not the same. The early .380's have a larger magazine well and the .380 magazine won't fit in the .32 pistol. There are other differences, mainly the extractor. Unmarked original magazines are from the 1903-1908 period when there was only one caliber. After that, the magazines are marked with the caliber on the base plate.

The grip pattern was changed over time, so if possible get the style appropriate to the era of the gun. If you have enough of the original grips to determine that, fine. If not, check back and we will try to help you.

Jim

The gun I showed above is from 1922, with proper grips. The one below is from 1910, also with correct grips. Later they went to plainer grips from a different material with a Colt medallion I believe. coltautos.com will show you which is correct depending on your serial number.

380s.jpg

This gun is serial #24xxx. It has grips like your 1922 gun, with the COLT in an oval, not the starburst pattern.

Your gun is in much better shape than mine. I took it apart and cleaned/oiled it with Hoppes #9 and CLP last night. The barrel is a bit pitted, but cleaned up pretty nicely. The left side of the frame and the slide are rusty and pitted. I think I got most of the rust wiped and oiled. Any other suggestions to stop/reverse the rust?

The gun seems to function ok, I haven't shot it, as I need a magazine. It didn't come with one.

My FIL gave it to me, so it didn't cost anything. Just a cool old gun that I would like to get back into service.

I can't post any pictures yet, because my dishnet satellite internet is at my upload limit for the month! (Daughters and smart phones are killing this redneck's internet gun fun!)

24xxx would put it at 1915 and the grips are correct (though broken). I believe any type grips for the 1908 will fit if you don't want to put a lot of money into them.

I don't have any particular advice on the rust other than maybe to hit the rough spots with a little fine steel wool to smooth them down and then keep it well oiled. I hope the gun works well for you, mine is a delightful shooter and quite accurate with mild handloads.

The frame and slide both have serial numbers that should match as these guns were hand-fitted.

I have ordered several magazines from Numrich for mine. They are aftermarket but I have had good success with both the .32 and .380 mags.

They are not marked with a manufacturer so I'm not sure who made them.

I have not checked lately to see if they have any in stock.

They are also NOT cheap. (but, since the gun was free, you may not mind)

And, on the .32 I had to file a couple of thousanths off of the base to get them to fit

-Rodger

Last edited:
You're very welcome, I'll be interested in seeing how the Triple K mag works in mine as well. $34 is a lot better than $125 (or more) for an original mag.

Back