Colt DA 38 Revolver

That is one of the strangest things about that whole series of revolvers. The original bullet diameter was .376" and that is what the Model 1889 was made for. In 1893, the Army specified an inside lubricated bullet of .357" diameter. The Navy apparently continued to use the old outside lubricated cartridges until the supply was exhausted. Yet, Colt didn't modify the barrel inside diameter until the Army contract Model 1903 and the concurrent commercial production, as part of the change to accommodate the .38 Special cartridge.

This explains something I learned, but didn't understand, many years ago - those guns just don't shoot very well, or at least the ones I fired didn't.

Jim

Digging up an old one

I bought one of these revolvers recently. It also free wheels with the hammer down and is normal.
Later guns got stops, as noted earlier.

I just got an email from the Colt Historian, I had sent in the info for a Colt letter. The historian requested a picture of the left side to determine what I have.

My 1889 was made in 1895, the frame has a place for a cylinder stop, but it has the smooth cylinder with no stops. I believe the gun is original.

The historian got back to me right away, Mine is an 1889 Navy. I guess that means I will have my letter soon.

So, this discussion has again piqued my interest in a Colt revolver I inherited from my grandfather. I know little about old Colt revolvers but can see that my revolver looks a lot like geosully's, but it's not a Navy gun. Mine is nickeled and has "Colt D.A. 38" stamped on the left side of the 5" long barrel and "COLT'S PT F.A MFG CC HARTFORD CT USA. (over) PATENTED AUG 5. 1884 NOV 6. 88 MAR.5. 95." on the top of the barrel; 213 (over) 042 on the butt and 143 on the cylinder release. The revolver has checkered, plastic grips with the Colt logo on top.

I hope I'm not stepping on the op's thread when l add that any information would be appreciated about this gun and I'd like to know what ammunition is safe to use in it. Thanks to all and thanks to geosully for his indulgence in my imposition.

DG, you describe a Colt New Army and Navy commercial model, made 1903.
Nominal caliber is .38 Government/Long Colt.
Price $13.20 from Sears &!Roebuck in 1901.

If it has the straight bored chambers, it will accept .38 Special.
I think it would be safe to shoot .38 Special Midrange and the soft hollowbase wadcutters should accommodate the old large barrels as well as possible.

Last edited:
And the grips are actually hard rubber, sometimes called "Gutta Percha".
Careful, these get brittle with age and chip or break easily.

Bob Best is THE expert on the Colt New Army & Navy revolvers and posts on the Colt forum as "COLTDAGUY".
He literally wrote the standard reference on the Colt New Army & Navy series.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/forum.php

Here's some more general info on these antique revolvers.....

http://www.coltfever.com/New_Army___Navy.html

Number 213 042 was made later in 1903 so it's probably chambered in .38 Special.

Note that these are very complex and not very durable actions and virtually no usable parts are available so if it breaks there's very little chance to get it repaired.
Treat it VERY gently.

Thanks, Dfariswheel. My old Colt is likely past fixing; the hammer cocks in sa mode and falls with the trigger being pulled but the da mode doesn't work. There is little rust but the original nickel finish has "left the building" for the most part. The fragile "Gutta Percha" grips, on the other hand, are in good shape and might be worth more than the gun if I were ever to "part it out".

But, the old Colt was my grandfather's and it gives some character to the wall it hangs on. :)

Back