Colt Announces It Will Discontinue Retail Sales of Long Guns

Correct me if I am wrong, but; the 2000 is the basis for the current Chinese army side arm. How many million pistols is that. Yes, screwed up by colt, agree 100% - But; the idea had merit and has been very successful, when not screwed.

I heard that it was a rumor started by an employee of RSR, probably trying to explain why he couldn't get a specific gun to a shop.

This is gonna drive the old guys who buy Colts to resell them up the wall.

Colt has been wandering lost in the woods for many years... poor management, poor direction, mix n match of their product line, reliance on contracts, poor relationship with it's labor force. This is just another page in the Crazy Colt novel.

HiBC said:
I guess I've heard a lot about the lawsuits being filed,but the dismissal has been small news.

I think maybe the lawsuits will continue,with new angles being tried.
Correct. Some of the Sandy Hook parents have taken Bushmaster and its parent company to court in Connecticut, and the Connecticut Supreme Court issued a rather inexplicable ruling that essentially said the federal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Firearms law didn't apply, so the suit could continue. Last I knew, Bushmaster et al had (IIRC) appealed that decision in federal court, and I believe it is still being played out.

So, yes -- the anti-gun forces are still looking for ways around the federal law -- until they can muster enough votes in congress to just repeal it.

TTAG was able to speak directly with Paul Spitale, Senior Vice President of Colt’s commercial business line. He confirmed the above. Colt has halted production of its commercial long guns lines and is focusing its manufacturing and sales on 1911s and revolvers.

This is not rumor, it is direct from Colt Senior VP for the commercial gun business. That is based on the link provided by the OP. No more, no less.

The other talk about focus on so-called big contracts, politics, etc all that other stuff is rumor or speculation (or no citation given = same thing).

I am not even remotely a fan of the black rifle. So I saw the title to this and though, Colt hasn't marketed a rifle since the late 70's! Excuse my ignorance. That rifle they sold then was made by J.P. Sauer. Absolutely beautiful. Seem to me Colt has been going down hill for a long time. I can't recall the last time I saw a Colt firearm in a store. Till this thread I wasn't even sure they were still in business.

It just baffles me that Colt has manufactured some of the most popular American firearms ever designed and yet they can’t seem to profit off of it. Though to be fair, it seems like Colt losing exclusive rights to produce them is usually about where they became popular.

I'm a DA fan but truth is it seem's like today it's auto loaders in demand and I think all Colt makes is the 1911. That has to hurt. I wonder what sells most in auto loader's, 9mm or something bigger. I don't know that colt has ever made a 9mm. Resting on their laurels will destroy them. Many years ago I had a little auto loader in 22 RF, I think it was made by some company called Ace Looked exactly like a scaled down 1911! Even if colt could come out with something like that but a bit bigger it would have to be a plus. Just don't see the volume in DA or SA handguns like there used to be. Self defense pretty much killing them off.

Ruger sells revolvers like hot cakes. Single action and double action. I own quite a few. The colt revolvers are priced for the crazy rich collectors.

So, I found this researching on the net:

18 Nov 2018 Army contract.
Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLC, West Hartford, Connecticut, was awarded an $88,607,109 modification (P00008) to contract W15QKN-15-D-0102 for M4 and M4A1 carbines. Work will be performed in West Hartford, Connecticut, with an estimated completion date of Sept. 25, 2020. Fiscal 2019 and 2020 operations and maintenance, Army funds in the amount of $88,607,109 were obligated at the time of the award. U.S. Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, is the contracting activity.

19 September, 2019 Foreign Military Sales contract
Colt’s Manufacturing Co. LLC, West Hartford, Connecticut, was awarded a $41,924,594 firm-fixed-price Foreign Military Sales (Afghanistan, Bahrain, Djibouti, Federated States of Micronesia, Hungary, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Macedonia, Marshall Islands, Palau, St. Vincent and Grenadines, and Tunisia) contract for production for the M4 and M4A1 carbines. One bid was solicited with one bid received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Sept. 18, 2024. U.S. Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, is the contracting activity

Total of $130, 531,703.

Colt has $130 MILLION dollars of government contracts to fill. They might be busy for a while

Seem's to me a lot of people went on the war path against Colt when this first came out. I was clueless as all they sold that I ever liked, other than the Colt/Sauer rifle was some of their DA handguns. Not for some reason this look's like they had to give up something and they did. As I said earlier, no big loss for me as I don't like black rifles in the first place! :-)

So, I found this researching on the net:

18 Nov 2018 Army contract.
Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLC, West Hartford, Connecticut, was awarded an $88,607,109 modification (P00008) to contract W15QKN-15-D-0102 for M4 and M4A1 carbines. Work will be performed in West Hartford, Connecticut, with an estimated completion date of Sept. 25, 2020. Fiscal 2019 and 2020 operations and maintenance, Army funds in the amount of $88,607,109 were obligated at the time of the award. U.S. Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, is the contracting activity.

19 September, 2019 Foreign Military Sales contract
Colt’s Manufacturing Co. LLC, West Hartford, Connecticut, was awarded a $41,924,594 firm-fixed-price Foreign Military Sales (Afghanistan, Bahrain, Djibouti, Federated States of Micronesia, Hungary, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Macedonia, Marshall Islands, Palau, St. Vincent and Grenadines, and Tunisia) contract for production for the M4 and M4A1 carbines. One bid was solicited with one bid received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Sept. 18, 2024. U.S. Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, is the contracting activity

Total of $130, 531,703.

Colt has $130 MILLION dollars of government contracts to fill. They might be busy for a while
This would agree with your assessment.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/09/20/colt-clarifies-decision-suspend-civilian-msr-sales/

I am not even remotely a fan of the black rifle. So I saw the title to this and though, Colt hasn't marketed a rifle since the late 70's!
Colt sold the Colt Light Rifle, a bolt action in the late '90s. It's understandable that you might not remember it, it had production issues and was only sold for a short time.

Colt sold the Colt Light Rifle, a bolt action in the late '90s. It's understandable that you might not remember it, it had production issues and was only sold for a short time.
ut I'll remember to the day I die that Colt/Sauer I handled in the late 70's. Beautiful by any standard, also expensive!

I seem to recall they lost "A" contract to FN America a few years ago, due to FN submitting a lower bid.

Colt is still selling M4 series rifles to the US military, per the above post about a 2018 contract to make M4 and M4-A1 carbines for the US military.

It seems that other then Russia and China and their allied countries, most of the free worlds special ops and a great many foreign militaries and police are buying Colt M4 series carbines.

Back