Colt 1917 questions, please help

First, I want to thank everyone for their help. Mr. Keenan, your serial number explaination makes sense. So, from that, my Colt was made in early 1917. The cylinder was updated later, maybe at Springfield armory, but using Colt parts. I have a lanyard and repro grips on order from Gun parts. Once I get these parts, I'm going to give it work out. I'll post my results.

There is still one thing that I have a question about. What does the S20 beneath the Eagle Stamp mean? I can't find any source.

re: COLTS and S&W sn's: Thanks to Jim Keenan's correction of info put out prior to brain being engaged. Had just had this discussion about SN location with my gunsmith when having a S&W 1950 Military cut back at both ends. Remembered the Smith hassle in losing the SN, forgot our caveat that it wouldn't have been a problem had it been a COLT having the butt reduced--the next chore in line. Ought to teach one to at least pick up the gun before communicating out of retarded memory...

The S20 is the number of an individual inspector, equivalent to the initials on other guns. Unfortunately, I don't know of any records identifying the persons involved. The inspector was probably at the Colt factory, but at some periods, Colt sent their guns to Springfield Armory for acceptance, as did S&W.

Jim

Back