Colt 1903 High Polish Finish

Yeah. It is fun to shoot and I didn’t figure it had collectible value when I bought it. I wouldn’t have bought it for the price it would have cost had it been original. I like it a lot and the price was right.

Quote:
Colt did not rust blu
"Yes, they did."

Hey, you caught that one before I could stop and delete it.
I realized that I had no reference on very early Colts and dropped the comment.

Coolgunsite says they were doing the oven blue on first run 1911s.
"Colt 1 to 2400: Bright furnace blued, Slide and receiver highly polished. Certain small parts have a high polished bright Fire blued (Cobalt Color) appearance"

Clawson says those guns were blued in coal fired ovens and only in 1918 did they go over to gas fired.

Were .32s finished the same way as .45? Hard to see why not.
Maybe they rust blued before 1911.

Colt COULD do a high polish, their nickel guns are quite shiny.
Would they special order a high polish blue? I don't know, take an advanced collector to show one.

I have two Model Ms, a Model N, and a M1911, all made in the early 20th century, all original finish, and none of them is rust blued. Neither was the '20s Army Special I used to have.

Springfield Armory rust-blued their M1911s.
FN rust blued their Browning pistols.

My 03 Colt .32 has the original finish, and it sure does not look like rust blue. Rust blue has a 'softer' look. Mine was made around 1922.

I don't know exactly when Colt started or stopped doing high polish rust bluing on their automatics, or for that matter if they used rust bluing at all as I am no expert, but I do know that very early on they were doing a very high quality polished finish on their 1911's. I believe they stopped it, at least on 1911's in mid 1912 or so.

This is a very early 1912 production (three digit serial number) original condition commercial Government Model that has a highly polished finish.

colt1912-1-L.jpg

A disclaimer: This is NOT my gun, I wish it was mine, but it belongs to a fellow that goes by the name of beetle on the calguns forum

Last edited:
You can't "high polish" rust bluing.
The process is to allow the surface to rust, remove the accumulation, rust again, etc., up to ten or fifteen applications, and after the surface has rusted that many times, the polish will have been reduced.
Rust blued guns have a "lustre" rather than a reflective surface.

The finish on early M1911s I've heard described as "glistening oil finish", which was too bright and shiny for a military that had recently stopped wearing blue uniforms, and the finishes became progressively duller over time (not age, but process).

I've handled and shot a 1913 Colt M1911, and it was hard to tell what the finish looked like when new. My 1918 example looks rough, but under the grips the original finish is intact, and it's very heavily grained, and dull, because the amount of polishing was progressively reduced as production rate increased.
In 1918, Colt was making 1000 M1911s a day.

I love mine. Its pretty, to me, and I can shoot it. I couldn't own that 1911.

I wish the sights were a little bigger. But I have a small collection of early century pocket autos. None of them have what I would call nice sights. Most with compromised finishes. Savage 1907 in both 32 and 380, Remington 51 in 380, H&R Autoloader in 32 and 25.

Last edited:
My Type 1 1903 from 1906 still retains the looks of the high polish blue but has become so thin that it is a mere hint of what it once was.

medium800.jpg

^^^^Yep, that is what every original blued 1903 I have ever seen looks like. I have one from 1928 that has a bit of wear, but still retains strong original finish over most of it.

IMG_5988-XL.jpg

My dad's 1903 Colt .380 - Nickel finish after the fact

This was my dad's Colt 1903 in .380. It was nickel-plated after the fact. Still looks pretty good.

Attachments

• colt - nickle - 380-2_small.jpg
    colt - nickle - 380-2_small.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 64
  • colt - nickle - 380-1_small.jpg
    colt - nickle - 380-1_small.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 44
I really like my dad's pistol and it looks better than it would have if not chromed. I put a new stainless barrel in it and it shoots well. I'm okay with it and that's all that matters.

Back