Colt 1903 Hammerless

Very nice condition, my 1908 was made in 1922. I haven't shot it in a couple years so it's almost time I got it out for a few rounds.

I had a 1908 .25... always wanted to get into a .32 or .380. At least until I saw the prices on all of those guns’ magazines. Not sure if there are reliable aftermarket for the bigger guns... but was glad my 1908 came with a Colt magazine.

Instead of going Colt, I found an early Manurhin PP in .32... which was not import marked. I plan on getting it refinished for an extra carry gun. But the nice thing, magazines are plentiful. And not to mention, I like DA/SA with decocker more than SAO.

That being said, it is a beautiful pistol. Best of luck with it.

Very Nice Find!

I would love to know the history of that pistol. My recollection was that Colt and FN had a deal that lasted up to the 1950s or 1960s [or 70s?], in which Colt wouldn't distribute their handguns in Europe and FN wouldn't distribute their handguns in North America [or, at least, the USA].

Thus, we got Colt 1903 and Europe had FN 1903 [or Husqvarna 1907].

So, I am wondering how it got there with the box and all.

As it is a 1940s handgun, it doesn't have a removable barrel bushing, right?

I believe this was a version II or version III modification.

What I find really interesting is comparing these JMBrowning-designed handguns to future development.

For example, the Tokarev TT-33 and the Femaru M37.

The TT-33 is clearly inspired by both the FN1903/Husqvarna1907 design and the Colt 1911 design, with their own modifications [removable fire control group in TT-33 is actually quite brilliant. Nighthawk is now making a 1911 drop-in trigger that is getting some solid reviews, but I think the TT-33 system has the advantage over it as the TT-33 has the sear spring and hammer spring, plus disconnector, sear and hammer, all in one drop in group.

The only other fire control parts are the trigger and trigger return spring.

The Nighthawk system is pretty impressive, but relies on the MSH's hammer spring, so it isn't quite as all-inclusive.

The Femaru M37 looks like it borrowed the most from the FN1903 and the Colt 1903 with the 2nd series modifications, or 3rd series, as it- like the third series Colt 1903, does not use a barrel bushing- unlike the FN/Husqvarna ones designed by Browning.

A lot of fun to trace design heritage through different generations and firearms!

I watched the movie, A Night In Old Mexico with Robert Duvall recently and one of the hitmen was using a 32 or 380 pocket auto with a silencer. I was surprised to see them using an old classic colt in the movie.

Great looking firearm. The only thing better what I would love to own is a so called 1908 in .380 acp. The beauty of this pistol, is right up there with a Browning HP.

Back