Colt 1903 .32 ACP Concerns

There are Gunsmiths and then there are guys who work on guns. He is wrong and everyone out here knows it!
I went to a so called gunsmith with a friend who had a problem with a Remington 700. This guy told him he needed all sorts of work on the receiver to make the scope lay correctly. ??????? ***? When I told this guy get new mount and rings and put it on he actually said "How long have you been working on guns?" Well my answer was I worked for Colt before entering the service and was an armorer in the service so about 50 years.:D "The reply was well things changed since you did any work on guns"
Must be the same guy you got to fix your gun.
Mace

About the worst was the guy who set up shop to work on handguns, specializing in 1911 target guns. He took the sear engagement down until it was a nice light pull. But then his customers complained about the hammer falling to half cock when they loaded the first round. He ranted about the damage to his "perfect" sear, so he came up with an easy fix - grind off the half-cock notch.

Not long after, one of his guns did just what you think and ripped off 7 rounds rather quickly. No one was injured though a bullet narrowly missed the range officer. The "gunsmith" was visited by an attorney and a couple of police officers. It seemed that he had an FFL but had neglected small details like a state firearms license, business license, zoning laws, etc. He was persuaded to go into another line of business, and last I heard he was repairing lawn mowers.

I am not sure I want to have him fix my lawn mower, though.

Jim

Well, I got off the phone with the new repair guy and he informed me that there isn't anything wrong with the pistol and the parts (sear, disconector, leaf spring, etc.) - all are in good shape. That's a relief. He did mention the only thing he saw was some pitting in the muzzle but most of the ones he has seen for repair have some to some degree. Other than that, the problem was a common assembly mistake involving 2 of the leaf spring prongs laying incorrectly (in front rather than behind) upon assembly. It should be shipping back tomorrow with an explanation of the work done. I'm happy to have it up and running again. Thanks for all your comments and help!

Back