Collectors

Milsurp rifles, older revolvers commonly used in early 20th century policing, late BP firearms. Looking to expand into other areas. I shoot what I collect, I'm not a "don't shoot it" type (although there are some more rare specimens I don't shoot very much at all).

If I had the money to be serious I would say 19th century through WW2 military cartridge rifles revolvers.

Probably more accurate to say inexpensive and odd.

I am just kinda starting collecting ammunition. Been meaning to do it for a while. Like kinda oddball specialty stuff. Hornady zombie, g2 rip, the old extreme shock. Just kinda cool to me.

What do you collect?

lots of things, keeping it firearms related, mostly cartridge firearms from the past 150 years, or so, specializing in some niche areas.

How many constitutes a collection, to you?

Whatever happens to turn me on. Probably what comes closest to a real collection are my single shot rifles. :rolleyes: Wish I could afford more.
Paul B.

How many constitutes a collection, to you?

I be willing to put the number a 2 if someone claims it’s a collection. Or even one if they are constantly combing for that one other piece.

Finer single shot rifles for me. I’d love a bevy of Smith revolvers, but I only have two at the moment.

2 is a start. One is not a collection, it is a collectable item.

"Collections" can be as specific or as general as you want. You can do it by anything the 2 or more items have in common. Could be maker, could be action type, could be caliber or era/year of manufacture, specific model or general use purpose, markings, or anything else that floats your boat.

I have "collections" of rifles, pistols and shotguns, quite a few, depending on how you define it.

Collections can, but don't have to have a practical use. I see the point of having a collection is to please the collector, and anyone one else the collector shares them with, who appreciates the same things

I collect guns. I like shotguns mostly, and I have a safe full of bolt action hunting rifles to go along with my hand full of lever action and semi- autos. I have an M1A also, but I have way too many pistols and revolvers. I don't have any old guns, except maybe a Winchester Model 12 and a Winchester Model 70 and an old Marlin.

Yeah, I guess I just collect guns, in general.

Because I have two of them, I guess you could say I have a collection of .22LR Lugers.

I suppose I have a collection of Contenders, having two frames and about a dozen barrels.

I have a collection of Remington 600 series rifles, .222, .243, 6mm, .308, and .350 Mag, and I also include my XP-100 (.221Fireball) as part of that.

I have or had a fairly complete milsurp collection of WWII and some WWI rifles and pistols. Mausers, SMLEs Arisakas, Moisin Nagants, and others, including our US arms.

and I have a collection of all the post WWII "first generation" magnum semi auto centerfires. Auto Mag, Coonan, Wildey, Desert Eagle, and LAR Grizzly.

Also a collection of Ruger New Model Blackhawks, and Vaqueros, but I sold off the Vaqueros a few years ago.

Had numerous 1911A1 pistols over the years, both GI and commercial, but all have gone on to others, save one, the one I inherited from my father when he passed.

So, I've got, or had collections by model and by caliber, still have most of them.

Quality pocket .22 and .25 pistols are sort of a specialty of mine, but there are a lot of other guns. I'm partial to Star pistols, too. Then , just a hodge-podge of stuff that strikes my fancy or that I might carry or use for defense.

Outside of firearms I collect knives, and watches, and small cannon, and bass guitars.

I'm not a gun "collector." Years ago I was told a gun "collector" will zero in on a particular brand, or type, or era of guns. At the famous Wanamacher gun show we have true collectors who display their collections. One impressive collection is a Ruger handgun collector with pretty much one of everything going back to Noah's ark.

After "collection/collector" was properly defined to me, I was told I was an "accumulator." Works for me.

What AMP suggested. One is a curiouslity and I generally don't get beyond that.

What do I have? Books. Over 100 shelves and growing.

What do you collect?
Interesting semi-auto handguns - If something out of the ordinary "grabs" me, then I grab it. For example,
Steyr GB,
Megastar 45,
glossy-blued CZ 75-B,
2-digit serial number Colt Mustang (1st production run)
1957 Colt Python
Boberg XR9-s

Unusual, modern .308 semi-auto rifles

Things I'd like to add to my "eclectic" collection: HK P7M13, Norinco 77B, Sphinx AT2000

PS: There are different types of collectors. Some might only collect Swiss made Lugers. They all work the same, look nearly identical, but perhaps with different dates or slight variations. I am not that type of collector. But, I can tell you exactly why I bought each and every handgun that I own. Each one is memorable to me.

Last edited:
I guess I collect much more than I thought with the definition 44 AMP strikes

2 or +

Handguns
Pump shotguns
Black powder weapons
Lever action rifles
Falling block rifles (something that I would say I collect)
Semiautomatic rifles
22lr rifles
22lr handguns
Handguns that shot multiple cartridges
Blah blah

I still think someone can be passionate about a fine niche and call themself a collector when they just have one single item. I think the act of the search matters more than a quota of 2

????????????

Ideally, one of everything.

Just in .22lr:
A semiauto plinker (mine is a Buckmark)
A single action revolver (mine is a Ruger Super Single Six)
A target pistol (like a hammerli or a vintage SW41)
A double action revolver (like a Ruger Sp101)
A semi auto rifle (mine is a 10/22 target)
A bolt rifle (like a Kimber super america)
A biathlon style rifle (mine’s a Marlin 2000L)
A lever action (like a Winchester or a Henry)
I’m sure I’m forgetting something…

stuff

Actually, I'm a sort of an .....accumulator.......of all sorts of stuff. But concerning guns, .......

I'm a hunter foremost, so most of my long guns fit into hunting roles. I've got a soft spot for vintage blue steel and walnut hunting rifles. But I don't have just Fudd guns.

I see a "collection" as having some sort of unified thread....all Winchester 70's for example, , or all Remington .22 rimfire, that sort of thing. I have more Ruger firearms but not by design. What Ruger offered (several now discontinued) fit into some perceived role in my hunting mostly. I've likely got more .308 rifles than any other chambering, again not by design.

Other stuff. Lately I've been buying turkey box calls, but I don't search them out. If I see an old Lynch or Lohman or a small maker box in a pawn shop, and it sounds OK, and not too pricey, there's a good chance I'll buy it. I've got my eyes open for a few old Ben Lee friction calls, but have never come across any on the cheap.

I like smaller fixed blade knives....bird & trout knives. Lately got a good buy on a couple of old Western patterns, including one with a red bone handle. Bought a new GerberSpine for a good price up in MI last week, damaged packaging, new knife.

Two old full size Bronco's that still run, if not all that well, and a 24 year old Toyota 4WD p-up that runs like a top. Out behind my shed there's 8 good dogs buried and I cried over every one.

One good wife......still with me.

Back